Sunday, 9 October 2011

Sunday 09/10/11

And while it might be considered slightly uncouth to copy here 'gushing reviews' of Exit Through The Wound, we all have a book to sell and we've got to do what we've got to do.

So here are some Amazon reviews for Exit Through The Wound. And I didn't even write all of them myself. But how many did I write*?

*Jk. I didn't write any of them

"While I am not completely convinced that is 100% fiction, this is my favorite novel of the year. North Morgan's cast of twenty somethings and their combination of trust funds, tedious mid-level office positions and late nights in London has a way of making you feel somewhat terrible and somewhat positive about your own life all at once. The latter of which I found quite refreshing.

The main character, Maine (not intended to be purposely redundant), last name Hudson, is self-absorbed, self-critical, self-medicating and an expert at ruminating to the point of exhaustion. He is his own personal hard slap in the face. Despite this, or perhaps as a consequence, Maine is also an excellent observer of individuals and the resulting commentary is very funny. There are one hour love interests, exasperating colleagues, party people, tube riders, street walkers, creepy gym members, elevator companions, cloying family members and friends of convenience. There are also long term friends, colleagues who save him from himself from 9-5 and Sadie, his love interest / obsession (what kind of love isn't?).

Yet even amongst his closest companions there is profound loneliness throughout which appears to be as debilitating as it is sought after. This novel is clever, touching, gloomy, funny and very entertaining. I will definitely read it again."

"North Morgan's debut novel, Exit Through the Wound, is a definite recommend.

For me, he captures the spirit of a certain young, urban generation; we're materially wealthy but spiritually bankrupt. We have fun when the music is on and the drugs are working - but there's a nagging voice that tells us that there must be something more to life. We're aware that we're far luckier than we deserve to be but we're pissing it all away anyway.

It's also extremely funny. Morgan is a skilled observer of behaviour - the incidental characters in the book are instantly recognisable, without being clich├ęd. I cracked up at passage describing the overly talkative female work colleague and I loved the email and text exchanges.

I can tell if I've liked a book if the characters are still present for me once I've finished it. I still think about Maine. I wonder what he's up to and I hope he's taking care of himself."

"If Billy Fisher had caught the train to London (and somehow ended up in 2011) the result might have been something like this hilarious novel. Much like Billy, Maine Hudson's self-awareness just about balances out his Heculean self-absorption and he's a hero that's every bit as addictive as the prescription drugs that fuel him. Maine's self-inflicted #mylondonhell excesses and #badlifechoices are brilliantly described and I swear that you can probably get high from reading this novel. It's also funny as hell and (particularly) if you're young and you live in London, this novel gets you. The style reminded me a bit of big beasts like BEE, Joseph Heller and Salinger, but these influences pretty quickly fall away. I read the book in one sitting and now I need to detox with something less rocket-fuelled like Murder At The Vicarage. Just Terrific."

"One of the best books I've read this year. You get inside the main character's head and you start living his life. Even though not everyone will identify with the circumstances described, it's impossible not to relate to Maine on a number of levels. There's a particular scene at a train station, which the novel seems to build up to emotionally that almost had me in tears. A complete page turner, I couldn't wait to see how it ended. I could easily see a movie adaptation of this. Moving, intelligent and witty, this is a great modern novel."

"A fantastically addictive read. North's endearing and comedic prose is truly entertaining and sucks you right into believing that you are in his head, waiting for the next thought to express itself as you turn the pages of his story. A great read and a purchase that you are very unlikely to regret. Already looking forward to reading it again and the next helping..."

"Impressive debut novel that has you drawn in from the off. Clever character interaction and astute description brings alive the on-the-surface mundane routines of young Londoners obsessed with finding a way out. It's an escape from the real world into a reality that while obsessive, shallow and habitual, will leave you identifying with the frustrations and emotions of those wanting to express themselves where the mainstream is looking to conform."

"I learned a lot from reading this novel. Mainly the names of a whole variety of uppers and downers I have never heard of. At times it was like reading a chemistry text book. Drugs are an integral part of the plot though as they shape the main character's life and mindset as he lives a bizarre form of London life unrecognisable to a native Londoner like me. The book describes a hedonistic world where money is no object, set in a city where money is all most people think about, (for better or worse). There's something reminiscent of American Psycho or Black Swan about this novel - you end up living in someone's head for a few hours and inhabiting a strange world where morals and rules have no meaning. I think I may have finished the book slightly high myself. You're unlikely to feel sympathy towards the deliciously spoilt main character with his privileged lifestyle - the subject matter certainly won't appeal to everyone's tastes - but the author's candid and unique writing style will have you grinning and raising eyebrows in equal measure. The work email exchanges actually made me laugh out loud. All in all a thought provoking, addictive, unusual, and intensely written first work. Well worth a read. Preferably while sober."

"I thought I'd read a few pages and then go out... and ended up reading the whole book in 3 hours! I could not put it down. Feels like you are being let in on a secret world. Awe, jealousy, disgust, neediness, joy, sadness, buzz... every page gives you a new mood, a new feeling. If you really wanna know what life feels for a normal Londoner... this is not it. This is special. Find out for yourself..."

"I hate North Morgan. London Preppy. Whoever the hell he is. He crafted a wonderful piece of prose that embodies all aspects of the disembodied drones that go to work, come home, rinse, lather and repeat day after day. It's a work trying to break away from the confines of disillusionment, cynicism, resignation and monotony while being absolutely hilarious.

What's fascinating was how seamlessly the blog fit into a narrative form. Gone were the daily tracking of what outfits were worn. Gone were the text message dispatches from a night of clubbing. Some characters were moved around notably All American Girl who is now Sadie. But reading the string of words page after page, what made the blog an enjoyable read was still there."

So, say, if you wanted to buy this thing, you have the following options

1) If you're in the UK, you could walk into a book shop and ask for it. Foyles on Charing Cross Road is a highly recommended option, but you'll have to look around for it a bit first because I go in every day and move the copies they have in the alphabetised Fiction section to the Highlights right at the front, the Staff Recommendations, the upper reaches of the Fiction Chart...whatever I feel like each time.

2) Paperback from Amazon UK here: Amazon UK link

3) eBook from Amazon UK here: Amazon UK Kindle

4) eBook from iTunes UK (eBook from iTunes US out later in October)

5) Paperback from Amazon US here: Amazon US link

6) eBook from Amazon US here: Amazon US Kindle

7) You can get a signed / dedicated copy if you order directly from the publisher here:

Delivery in the UK


Delivery in Europe


Delivery in the rest of the world


Ugh. That's EVERYTHING.

3 comments:

Wyler said...

Have received product in post and am carefully reading just one to two chapters each night. I find that this deliberate method of reading allows me to relish the experience. Not sure why some of the reviewers find the can't-put-it-down aspect of reading to be desireable--I prefer to control the reading experience rather than allowing the book to quickly have its way with me and then leave me feeling cheap and dirty in the morning. So should I be noting how many laughs per page and when the writing makes me feel feelings? I would be happy to get back to you with my findings. So far lots of laughs and some feelings,too:

Maine character falling asleep with laptop on leaving red mark on stomach made me feel sad but sorta warm and fuzzy.

Image of Maine alone at office late at night with SAD lighit on, that was heartbreaking and should have been used as book jacket cover.

Madonna in Greece description left me smiling hard with my eyes.

Suffice it to say, I'm liking the book very much.

writersblokc said...

So say I'm left with £30 for the rest of the month. Is buying it something that a book character might do, would it be, I don't know..artistic, romantic or plain stupid? For what matters, I still want to read it so might have to cut on a few lunches in order to afford it. Fiction over food? Now that's something I know for sure a book character would do.
Congrats on the great reviews.

London Preppy said...

wyler: Thanks for leaving a comment and for reading it of course. I like your SAD lamp idea. Wanna direct the movie?

writersblokc: Well. I hope you made the right choice. I won't tell you which one that is. You know