Saturday, 16 July 2011

Saturday 16/07/11

Today, we have three things to get out of the way.

First thing:

Here's the second extract from Exit Through The Wound. I'm posting a video of me reading the first few paragraphs of chapter 17 and also copying the actual piece below, because you will probably not understand my accent. I sure don't.

On Tuesday I decide to go to work (trying out something new I guess), so I find myself on the tube listening to my iPod, and when ‘That’s When I Reach For My Revolver’ by Mission Of Burma turns into ‘Suicide Is Painless’ by the Manic Street Preachers on shuffle, I pretend this did not just happen, this is not just another sign telling me to fling myself under the eastbound Central Line train and, undeterred, I continue my journey into the office.

After a week away my inbox is full of client emails asking me to panic about inconsequential things so I duly ignore them and read the most recent message from Danny instead, which arrived only a few minutes ago: ‘Oh I see you made it in. You’ve been away for so long that I thought I’d never see you again. I won’t lie to you, I was starting to panic, especially as this is also Harper’s last week. In fact, I was so convinced I’d be left alone in this office that I spent most of yesterday writing obituaries for the two of you. Would you like to see yours?’

‘No.’

‘Maine Giannopoulos was born to a man and a woman on the 8th December 1985. He never knew his parents as they lived in a different wing of his house. His best friends growing up were Mehmet, a Turkish servant- boy, and Angelos, a friend visible to Maine and Maine only. Mehmet and Angelos took turns humouring Maine and his already nonsensical whims. Maine spent the early part of his adolescence performing stereotypical Greek activities such as growing facial hair by age 10, buggery and being the mooching scumbuckets of Europe. Maine’s life was transformed in his mid-teens with the discovery of ‘Britpop’, which turned a previously happy-go-lucky individual into a sullen manic-depressive. It was here that his Anglophilia began. On his 17th birthday, Maine met his parents for the first time and informed them of his plans to move to England. There, he transformed from a socially awkward, skinny sour-faced, asexual brat into a socially awkward, well-built, sour-faced drug addict. Other changes included metamorphosis of his name. On the day of his death (caused by a misunderstanding between him and squeeze ‘Sadie’ over the correct safe word, resulting in Maine’s suffocation inside a gimp mask), Alexandros Maine Giannopoulos (as his Greek family knew him) was officially known as Alexandros Maine Blake Hudson. Maine was never professionally fulfilled: he pursued a fruitless career in business consultancy when his real life aim was to work on a street corner in Lower Manhattan dealing hallucinogenics.’

‘That was hilarious, congratulations. You’re wasted here, although I suppose it’s not bad going getting paid – even the miniscule amount that you do – to sit at your desk and type gratuitous fantasy. Now tell me, what else did I miss?’

Second thing:

Here come the pre-order links. I’m signing all copies pre-ordered from the links below. (If you want. If you don’t…go crazy, I’ll leave yours unsigned).

Pre-order for the UK (£6 + &2.50 for p&p):


Pre-order for Europe (£6 + £3.50 for p&p):

Pre-order for rest of the world (£6 + £4.50 for p&p):

Third thing:

We’re having a launch party for the book on Thursday the 8th September in London. You know what? You can come if you like. It’s at Charterhouse Bar (38 Charterhouse Street, Farringdon, London) at 1830.

Bye now

24 comments:

beralex said...

I know I should be saying how I much I like the prose, and I do, but mainly you are just so cute; it's adorable. I'm thinking we get married, move somewhere remote and become dog breeders to the stars. Let me know, ok? Fingers crossed.

London Preppy said...

beralex: The ONLY flaw in this plan is that I have a visceral hatred for dogs. Cats instead?

lamestrmrbf said...

Also, YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND BB.

Fresco said...

I find you biting your lip at the end very cute. It’s like a school boy having read his essay in front of the class. Seriously, this must be very exciting / scary for you and I’m happy for you that your dream comes true. Pre-orders are delivered at the beginning of August, right?

London Preppy said...

lamestrmrbf: Yah, I'm aware

fresco: It definitely is both these things. About the pre-orders, yes I think an email is going out in a couple of weeks to let people know when to expect them

Alex F. said...

Should I switch my preorder from Amazon to this? I mean, I do want to have a signed copy of course - but it is probably better that third-party retailers see some interest too?

London Preppy said...

alex: Hmm that's an interesting question. From a purely selfish point of view, I get a higher cut from the direct sales, but what you say also makes sense. I don't know! Thanks for pre-ordering either way

beralex said...

LondonPreppy: ok, cats are fine. God, how lame is lamestrmbf? Hasn't he heard of a manage a trois? Maybe he could be our pool boy/trainer?

AlwaysReadySf said...

Ha! Very good. My fav part is right after when you speak the word "scum bucket" and then whisper "sorry!". LOL

By the way, I think we keep being in the same locations and I only find out afterwards! This time it was Provincetown for July 4th.... One of this days.... :)

franck said...

I pre-ordered my copy months ago. Will it still be a signed one?

storm trooper said...

Lamestrmrbf: finally, you're reading him.

You should go back and read the whole blog.

writersblokc said...

Are you getting preppier or is it just me? Is this intentional - growing the 'author looks' - or just a new hairdo?
September sounds like a good time for a party. I'll try and make it and hopefully I won't embarrass myself. Or you for that matter :/

London Preppy said...

always: You were there? Ha, yes, maybe one day

franck: Yes, it will be

writers: Nah, I think I'm just getting older

Rogue said...

I could understand you just fine and actually you came across - yet again - as quite a likeable human. Although I know deep down that is not true, so ignored the faint pang of guilt I felt when I watched.

AlwaysReadySF said...

Yes...was in Ptown and on/around the Cape for the week of the 4th. My bf's family is in Boston so we end up going there quite a bit. I love Ptown! Hope you enjoyed it :)

dccised said...

it's kind of disconcerting to watch you smile and laugh.

i don't know which identity to believe in anymore...

Jake said...

I like that this post was made at exactly 2pm. That is all I have to say, really.

j.lee said...

I agree with beralex, you are unbearably cute. Your accent is the icing on the cake. Any boyfriend of yours must know that you have legions of fans, waiting for an opportunity to have our way with you.

London Preppy said...

You guys are too sweet and nice and I thank you very much.

always: I want want want a boyfriend who has family in Boston. Proper want

dc: Easy. One identity that I write. Another identity that I am. There we go

impressedguy said...

Καλή επιτυχία με το βιβλίο σου!

London Preppy said...

impressed: S'efaxristo file

AlwaysReadySF said...

A boyfriend with family in Boston is not all that it's cracked up to be. Think bitter freezing cold in the winter when you HAVE to go visit the family for Thanksgiving.
[grin]

AmbParis said...

Thank you for the reading, very cute!
I placed the pre-order.. +1 for France!
Keep up the good work :)

GVP said...

I watched another video of yours on youtube, talking about the book. Hmm... I will need to get a hold of the book once I finished wiht my exams.
Cute accent by the way.