Thursday, 17 February 2011

Thursday 17/02/11

OK, it turns out that I started writing this blog four years ago; the first post was in March 2007. I wrote every day for a while in a somewhat obsessive manner, and looking back on that period the main thing I remember is how much I liked doing it, but also how exhausting it was. It was just not acceptable that I wouldn’t update one day. I couldn’t deal with it. I had a full-time job, plus as much of a life as any of us has and also this side project which, in fact, was my main preoccupation on each day. I was so involved in this and it drove me a little bit crazy, but there we go. I’ve crawled back into relative sanity now. Thinking back I would have guessed that this updating daily thing lasted a whole lot longer than it actually did. I really does feel like I spent half a decade doing it. In fact, looking at the dates I wrote every day between March 2007 and October 2008. Not such a big deal after all.

I’m sure there’s a combination of reasons why I wrote London Preppy : Because I like writing? Because I’m self-obsessed and hungry for attention? Because I’m insecure and seek validation? Because I saw it as a way out of whatever aspects of my life I wasn’t keen on? Because I was bored? Because it got more addictive as more people visited? Probably all the above. The point is that very few things have had as much of an impact in my life as writing London Preppy did. Things I directly influenced, controlled and was solely responsible for anyway.

I know that being proud of something is not a cool angle and I know that perhaps there really isn’t anything to be proud about. But on a certain straightforward, non-ironic level, I’m pleased for the effect London Preppy has had in my life. I’m kinda happy when random people that I don’t know still come up to me and mention they used to read the blog and I’m kinda happy when I see the number of visits it’s had in the last four years (I’m confident that at least some of the 1.2 million hits are not directly from my own IP addresses). And most of all I’m pleased that it gave me the opportunity to write my own novel, and that a publisher actually wanted to put it out.

I’m not sure exactly what the purpose of posting this was. I finished writing Exit Through The Wound two days ago, and I wanted to write something that wasn’t fictional / in the same narrative as that. So I thought I’d write a blog about blogging, now that blogging is dead. Plus I basically wanted to thank everyone who’s spent even three seconds (cumulatively) in the last four years visiting this site, or thought, read, talked about London Preppy at one point or another, because this is clearly the reason why my novel happened. And I’m deluded enough for this to be a bit of a big deal to me.

*Group hug*
*Regrets group hug and pulls back timidly*
*Swallows pills*

PS. This is not the writing style of the book, by the way. I did not write it on Prozac.

24 comments:

CATC said...

Haha. This is cute.
I think you've deserved every bit of attention you've received.
You're a special guy.

London Preppy said...

CATC: Aw, thanks so much

Rogue said...

Congratulations on completing the novel.

London Preppy said...

Thank you, Rogue

patrick said...

Thank you too ... I've really enjoyed reading your blog over the years and look forward to the book.

Quick question while I'm here: Should I read LTZ before starting Imperial Bedrooms?

London Preppy said...

patrick: You haven't read it at all before? Or do you mean as a refresher? Either way, yeah, I'd say start with LTZ and then move to IB

Alex T. (soon to be F.) said...

I love your blog. After your novel will make you famous, please release it too - I want to have a hard copy :-)

george said...

people only come back cos you're interesting....congrats on the book. looking forward to it.

AlwaysReadySF said...

Congrats on finishing the book! It has been fun reading you on and off for a bit... and I did enjoy the short novel quite a bit. Made me smile :-)

Ben said...

Careful - you're sounding a little happy there.

(I'm not letting you pull back from the hug, btw.)

beralex said...

You're my inspiration for writing a blog. www.wickedcreeture.blogspot.com

You are often discussed between me and my friend D_f__d.

I've listened to a lot of the music you recommend and made some good discoveries.

What about publishing the whole of the londonpreppy blog? I'd buy at least 2 copies.

p.s. your story was the best in Boys&Girls. It was also quite exciting to see a pic of you without a red bar (but i do quite the red bar)

London Preppy said...

Thanks for the nice comments alwaysready, ben and beralex

W said...

I think you really captured something in this blog that resonated with me and by the looks of it countless others. You've brought up issues and feelings that have been sometimes amusing, sometimes uncomfortable and difficult and you have written about them in a style that is all your own. Thank you.

London Preppy said...

w: I keep saying thank you and I really mean it each time

Bryan said...

I like the narcissistic, pills-popping LP. This blog post is a little too unsettling, it is too much rainbows and butterflies. I am hoping this is not the route you are taking.

Regardless, i am proud to be your reader since June 2007. Your music, journey and style of writings are impeccable. Congrats on your novel/s ...and more to come.

Please i beg you, stay away from nice...and you are too deck to say Thank you!

London Preppy said...

bryan: I know, I like that LP too. I'm not kidding myself, I know what I want to write and who I want my character to be. Just very rarely I kinda want to post something 'genuine' like this, but no way am I going to write like this for real. The book is true to the fuck up I've written as for years

Fresco said...

I love(d) reading your blog and it was / is an inspiration to write mine. Love(d) your dry, wicked sense of humor and monotone but captivating writing style. Also love(d) the monthly song lists. Looking forward to the novel

Prepster said...

The name.... That's how I cam across you in the first place.

Back in 2008, I was meant to be researching about preppy kids and culture in London. Then some how I came across your mess of a life and got addicted reading about you. And my life got ruined like that.

Mike said...

Do U like REALLY wrRting? Or dO U like PromulGating Ur beliefs. (i.e. It’s A F_up WorLd, & if U diDn’t reLIZE it, I’m GoInG to TELL U). Innit, We aLL need ODDERs to conFIR<M our Beliefs of Da worLd, innit?

London Preppy said...

mike: I love this modern punctuation. Plus you make a good point (in there somewhere)

Anonymous said...

Simply: Thank you.

The blog is a work of art (literature but also at times a form of performance art), you deserve every bit of credit for your success and I for one rather like the warm sentiment you done slather all over us. Congrats on the book. I'll buy two.

Warmest,

pt

London Preppy said...

anon: I don't believe that saying 'thank you' is enough when I've just read the nicest thing everyone has ever said to me (top 3 anyway) but these are words so I'll just use them: thank you

Philip Verghese'Ariel' said...

Ha Ha Interesting indeed, just a start but reached up here and aiming more heights good keep writing, wonderful comments too, keep it up
nice to be here
With all good wishes
philip
Best

BosGuy said...

Very cool... I just stumbled upon your blog via Twitter of all things.

I've played with the idea of writing a book as well but have never had the discipline to see that personal goal through to fruition. Well done and congrats. I like the cover you have in later posts.