Saturday, 23 October 2010

Saturday 23/10/10

Right, so the story is that I got a deal for my first novel to come out.

That's quite good, isn't it?

If everything goes well and according to plan (and nothing ever does) it will be out in September 2011. There's even a set date, but I'll avoid quoting that at the moment, because there's so much bad luck you can invite in one post. The publisher is Glasshouse Books, who recently put out Boys & Girls, the anthology that contains my first published story.

I don't know how much I can say about the novel at the moment, so I'll say what I want and hope for the best. And by best, I mean the worst.

The title is the same as my short story - Exit Through The Wound. It will be published under my real name.

There is a similar theme to Exit Through The Wound (the short story), even though the main character is a bit different.

Also there is a VERY similar theme to the whole London Preppy blog, so hopefully if you were ever into that, you might also enjoy the novel. Potentially this could be the final London Preppy-related output I produce and having put this character to rest, I could move on to write different stuff. But this is looking too far ahead into the future. At the moment I'm working on the novel, editing material, writing some more stuff, etc.

Yesterday I wrote a blurb for the designer who will be creating the artwork for the cover. I had to sum up the plot / theme of the book to give her a feel for it. Here's what I wrote:

Living in London at the end of the first decade of the 21st century, Maine works a thankless graduate job, takes too many recreational and prescription drugs and spends too much of his wealthy parents’ money. He finds a kindred spirit in Sadie, a rich American girl now living in London with her male model boyfriend, and together they attempt to escape the city’s ennui and find purpose through a lifestyle of decadence and self-indulgence. But with Maine’s controlling family and unfulfilling day-to-day routine showing no signs of abating, is there really a way out?

So yeah, London Preppy with a plot and a girlfriend then.

OK, well that's that, wish me luck and see you on the book tour.

In other shameless plug news, Boys & Girls will be available at WH Smith's soon (in addition to the current retailers, Amazon and the Glasshouse website), plus as an e-book from November.

Finally, I'm writing Exit Through The Wound (the novel) on a strict diet of:



And NOTHING else

29 comments:

abristolnovella said...

I am currently working a thankless graduate program. Just thought Id let you know

Lust For Life said...

I'm kind of looking forward to this.

george said...

congrats......not sure if i am looking forward to it as i don't enjoy reading books.....but will have to consider reading yours......waiting now......

Toby said...

That is so exciting! I still need to buy Boys 'n' Girls. :(

Tim in Atlanta said...

Outstanding news. Congratulations. I will, of course, purchase it and display it prominently... somewhere. Erm... will it have lots of pictures?

W said...

Congratulations. I've really enjoyed reading the stuff you have written here over the last few years. There has been plenty to ponder despite the supposedly superficial and nihilistic themes.

Good luck with the book and beyond.

Guy said...

Congratulations - Loved your story in Boys and Girls- loved it. Looking forward to the novel, although thinking I might have to plan the post-reading recovery cocktail, if the tone of the story is anything to go by. I am currently plowing through Infinite Jest, so I am ready for anything....anything.

London Preppy said...

Thanks, everyone

Jake said...

I've not read the short story but I'll definitely get the novel when you're done!

Did you enjoy Robyn on Friday? Not to sound too creepy-stalkerish, but I did see you there. Shorter than I expected, ha!

Richard said...

Looking forward to this... intrigued by London Preppy having a girlfriend.

London Preppy said...

jake: She was alright, but I didn't really get into it. You will have seen where I was standing - my friends were more interested in bar proximity than playing with Robyn. PLUS THEY'RE ALL INCREDIBLY TALL

Nathan said...

[The title is the same as my short story - Exit Through The Wound. It will be published under my "real" name.]

But which of the 4 sets of real names you've been through will this be?

Keep them guessing.

Jake said...

Your friends aren't that tall, but they are very hot, especially the one in the green/grey t-shirt :-p

London Preppy said...

nathan: Obvs I combination of all. My name on the cover will be longer than the prose

jake: I'm going to have to investigate this. I can't remember who was wearing what (my senses were impaired by a morphine overdose)

Fresco said...

Congratulations (insert exclamation mark)

Anonymous said...

Completely, unreservedly great. Congratulations on a dream realized- doesn't happen often enough and here it has.

In the photo is that a box of Mepilex in the background? Don't take this exiting through the wound too literally, ok?

Oldyeller said...

Proud of you; congrats! Have you given any thought to who would play Maine in the movie version?
Still in excellent shape I see.

London Preppy said...

Again, thanks everyone.

oldy: Sure. An unknown, dumb, talentless model please

Anonymous said...

Oh poor you. You have to live off your parents' money while doing sweet fuck all.

Life's a bitch.

London Preppy said...

anon: Thanks for writing in representing the retarded demographic. It's not an autobiography, it's FICTION. Like if I were loaded and had the luxury to sit and do nothing, I would be here addressing you, at the beginning of a ridiculous long day where I have to work for 9 hours, then go to the gym, then come home and write a book until past midnight, then go to bed and repeat.

I'D BE ON HOLIDAY

Simon said...

nice work.

don't over think it.

Greek said...

Your temper tantrums and attention seeking are quite greek, aren't they.

Congratulations on the book! Fantastic news.

London Preppy said...

simon: That's a good tip

greek: Well, defo the tantrums yes, but attention seeking is not that Greek I don't think

Anonymous said...

www.hurtsme.eventbrite.com

Wolfgang said...

Congrats man, this is really great news as you have been talking a lot about this dream of yours back then.

Miles said...

Congrats on the book! As a fellow writer try to get my work noticed noticed in the slush pile of crap that publishers get inundated, I'm jealous.

Also, I got into the band Hurts because you posted "Wonderful Life" back when. Have you heard the rest of the album? I was listening to "Blood, Tears, and Gold" non stop. And it doesn't hurt that both boys are pretty.

Anonymous said...

Have you told your colleagues about your book, LP? If so, then wouldn't they find your blog and all the things you've said about them?

Rogue said...

One last time...congratulations.

London Preppy said...

Thank you