Wednesday, 30 June 2010

Wednesday 30/06/10

"On Monday evening I’m attempting to pack for my trip back home, and if I were writing this the word ‘home’ would be in quotation marks, because I’m packing to go back to the place where I grew up and where my parents still live, all four of them, the place where I grew up but haven’t lived in for twelve years, the place that I haven’t visited for sixteen months, and I suppose maybe this counts as home, but I’m not so sure. Because home is Athens, Greece, a place where I heard a young cousin around my age tell a family gathering that if his son were gay he would ‘slaughter him on his lap’, a place where I was bullied out of school for being gay at the age of 11, when I didn’t even know myself, but several of my schoolmates inexplicably already did"

This is the first paragraph of my short story in the book Boys & Girls, published by Glasshouse Books, out in July and available to pre-order / buy now.

Plug plug plug. Plug in baby; tired of living

8 comments:

Limited profile said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oldyeller said...

Glad to see you haven't deviated from the writing style that we've come to love (including the absence of punctuation at the end, although probably inadvertent). I wonder if BEE will read it? Possible, if only to get some ideas for his next. Good luck.

sleepyboy said...

Awww poor london preppy :( pat pat

London Preppy said...

oldy: I gotta publish a bitch in that style first, before I move on. Innit

sleepy: Pat pat accepted, ta

Chinsabop said...

Put Italy in place of Greece and this is eerily similar to my life experiences. Damn you.

Simon said...

It's not quite your usual style. It feels more honest, less self-conscious. It's piqued my interest. I won't pre-order, but if a copy happens to end up on the shelves of Ariel, I'll have a read, and if the rest of it is good, I might even buy it.

KP said...

Well that brings a tear to the glass eye.

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Just found your blog- loving it!