Sunday, 13 June 2010

Sunday 13/06/10

I’m hanging at this pool party in a house in Los Angeles, because hang is what you’ve got to do, I’m back from driving some girl that I’m dating to the airport, back from dropping her off outside the terminal building, underneath a sign that says Arrivals, having told her to go in the building and look around, she’ll find it (“look around, you’ll find it”, I said) when she asked where exactly Departures were and why I’m dropping her off here.

She’s the love of my life, this month; she’s the girl I’ll grow old with, this week. I tell her the first half of each of these sentences a few times a day.

On the way to the airport she told me that she’s going to miss me, I teared up and told her the same, she said that she’s been waiting for this all her life, I told her I never thought something so wonderful would happen, I never expected this. She said our relationship is perfect, we belong to each other, I told her we’re one, nothing will tear us apart. She said we understand each other perfectly, our relationship doesn’t need any rules, I told her I’ll never want another girl for the rest of my life, I’ll never yearn for someone else, I’m way past carnal desires, she is the one.

Back at the party, it’s 2300, 0000, 0100 on this Saturday night and I’m shamefully high, a shame that I cannot feel. I’ve been partying since Friday afternoon. What I’ve taken: I’m unable to formulate lists in my head at this point, but the list that I need to make should include – four e’s, lines of coke not adding up to half a gram but not far off, one MDMA cap, two Adderall caps, a few shots of GBL. I came down on the way to the airport, I came back up on the way back.

I’m walking around looking for the next free hit from someone or the next person I want to talk to. As it happens the two are never combined.

There are nearly one hundred people in the house, hiding in rooms, splayed on couches, sharing showers, throwing each other in the pool, trying on sunglasses, smoking pot, swapping swimwear, crushing pills, cuddling on beds, taking pictures, dancing, shuffling, fucking, snorting.

I see Katie. She is tall, ridiculously slim and toned in a way that makes you think she can’t hold a real job (what must people think when they share an office), more attractive than anyone at this party. This pool party. In Los Angeles.
I kinda know her and she kinda knows me, although it might just be through facebook, so I go up to her and we talk for a bit, my friend Will walks up to us and joins in, oh look the three of us are now suddenly in the garden hot tub, a quiet spot away from the rest of the party.

Katie is sitting between me and Will, my right leg is touching her left, we’re talking about the song that’s playing loudly through the speakers, joke that the neighbors will call the police soon who will only turn up and tell us to turn the music down until we crank it back up ten minutes later, I’m staring at Will, Will gets the message, climbs out of the hot tub and walks back to the main party.

I’m here with Katie, I’m not sure exactly what’s happening though I know very well, I’m still very high, I’m very relaxed, I’m completely confused but utterly clear, Katie’s left arm over my shoulders, I’m massaging her neck, her ex boyfriend that she came to the party with somewhere in the house, maybe in the pool, the girl that I’m dating lost in the clouds on a plane somewhere, nowhere on my mind, I lean in and kiss Katie on the lips, both my hands on the back of her head, touching her hair, she kisses me back, she’s holding my head now, I feel high, I feel fucking amazing, this is my life, I’m kissing her more, I’m coming up, I’m coming up, I’m coming up, full stop full stop full stop. Full stops everywhere but not for another two days when I’ve finally come down. Full stop.

28 comments:

walker stalker said...

amazing story

Tommy said...

Even though I was reading your blog for awhile I just really started reading Ellis, and I can see similarities.

The surrealistic aspects are really nice, it was a thoughtful read...while about a shallow experience.

I liked it a lot, hopefully that comes through in my comment and not just overly pretentious. I try too hard sometimes.

London Preppy said...

Thank you guys. Tommy, nothing wrong about trying too hard eh

abristolnovella said...

good morning los angeles

oliver said...

If I liked nothing else about this post (and, believe me, I did), I liked your shoes.

I'm so deep.

se said...

It's been some time, London Preppy.

London Preppy said...

se: I got chills reading these seven words, maybe because I'm high, maybe because I read too much into them, but I did

writersblokc said...

I couldn't help but getting these images in my head, while reading this. A well narrated story, I wouldn't be surprised to read it in a short stories book - something tells me it won't be long until that happens. It would also make a nice short film, especially the driving to the airport part. take care. ldn xx.

dccised said...

omg cute socks

Jake said...

Fact or fiction? Or a little of both?

george said...

liked the hair cut....hate the trainers.....oh great story...i don't normally read but that captured my interest......thank you

London Preppy said...

jake: Every word I've ever written was true

george: No, thank you

Toby said...

I'm not sure how I feel about this experience of yours. But thank you for making me think. Part of me wants to fly to L.A. and rescue you. Another part is greatly disturbed that you are on the opposite end of the same land mass as me.

London Preppy said...

toby: ...and getting closer

Oldyeller said...

Wow, excellent post! I guess you need to get high to write about personal shit that you normally shy away from. "Full Stop"--a great future title for something. The S.CA. lifestyle appears to agree with you.

London Preppy said...

oldy: But did I get high? Is this personal stuff? Etc etc

In Search Of said...

sounds incredibly fun. Jealous.

Anonymous said...

Why, oh why, do people assume this is a diary? Just because it's a blog? It's fiction guys!!!! Ruins the fantasy, I know, but such is life.

lp: do you enjoy appealing to gays insecurities

London Preppy said...

anon: Well, I enjoy what I do and if I appeal to gay insecurities, that's a bonus. Also, we have a lot of fun backstage making this and I'm sure this come across to the audience, etc etc

Oldyeller said...

I realize its a story, but my sense is that most of your posts have some truth to them (although you would never go to a party like that w/o a protective group of friends). This story was unique because you usually avoid attributing romantic feelings to yourself, whether fiction or not. I think you once said something like "this blog is not about love, never has, never will be."

Jake said...

Hey LP - did you know there's an article/interview with Bret Easton Ellis in the latest Sunday Times 'Culture' supplement where he talks about the sequel to Less Than Zero?

Just thought I'd let you know if you didn't already. The article is called 'Once more, with feeling' and you can read it online on the Times website if you register with them (you get a free preview).

London Preppy said...

oldy: I know what you're saying. And you're right, I most definitely won't ever write about my personal life or love on here. I'm not going to say what's true and what's not from whatever story I write, because I think it's more fun this way. Also it's not important

jake: Ah, I did not know that - thank you

Oldyeller said...

Agree; I don't want to know what's true. And I respect the lack of pandering-it's part of your appeal (at least for me).

Limited profile said...

It's an interesting question: why would (some) readers insist on trying to guess truth from fiction and/or romanticize the LP character when it has been repeatedly made obvious this is a made-up character.

What part of the LP character is so seductive to the gay male other than the blue socks (would it be, as successful, for example, where it not for the torso/abs).

LP is an author. Heck I've ordered his book.

Anonymous said...

Wow....i am almost having an orgasm while reading this. Party in the U.S.A indeed!

se said...

se: I got chills reading these seven words, maybe because I'm high, maybe because I read too much into them, but I did

Aww, so we're even.

Helen Marie (HM) said...

Oh wow. This is amazing. Where can I read more of your work?

London Preppy said...

Helen Marie: Thank you. I'm afraid it's just this blog and the short story in Boys & Girls for now