Tuesday, 27 April 2010

Tuesday 27/04/10

I mentioned this on twitter last week, but I thought I’d write it here as well, because…why not. I’m having a short story published in a book that’s coming out in June / July. I don’t know full details yet, mainly because I haven’t been paying attention, but I think it’s a collection of short stories by new writers. I’m publishing under my real name and my story is called Exit Through The Wound. I’d considered this title for a full length novel, but a) I like it very much, b) it fits the story in a metaphorical sense (i.e. I’ve made ridiculous allowances and convinced myself and everyone else involved that it fits the story), c) who knows if I’ll ever get the chance to publish a full length novel, so I might as well use it now.

As part of this, I’ve also been asked to do a reading at the London Literature Festival in July. In front of people. People who will be alive and breathing. And in great numbers (i.e. potentially more than 0). I’ll start looking for a victim to stand in for me shortly, but in the meantime, let’s forget about that.

I had to write a 50-word ‘author bio’ to be included with the story, and this bio is:

“___ is a suited wage-slave by day and a topless Nietzschean clubber also by day; and night. He has received around 1,100,000 hits on his blog, which converted into four stalkers none of whom have yet murdered him. ___ hides in London”

If you’ve read this blog in the past and liked it, I guess you’ll have a pretty good idea of what the story will be like. To draw a music parallel, it’s like a studio version of demos that leaked on the internet ages ago and everyone got for free, and now they’re being asked to actually pay good money for a more polished version in a physical format. I guess this didn’t work for Little Boots, but hey, I’m not a frumpy Northern lass who toned down her electro production to appeal to the masses with disastrous effects, so we’ll see.

I’m sure I’ll write more about this when I know. More.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

When it is released I will be sure to write the publishers telling how I loved your story but found the others terrible.

London Preppy said...

anon: You're obviously living in my head, because I couldn't have made a better suggestion myself. Well done

george said...

congrats....you don't write much here anymore and i don't follow twitter at all so i am happy to hear the news.....hope i get to read it!!!!

Fresco said...

That's brilliant news, well deserved.
I'll be in London at the beginning of July si I hope to catch / murder you.

Anonymous said...

Which "real" name?

Slim shady?

Anonymous said...

Well a better suggestion would be to have your stalkers compete to be the reader.

abristolnovella said...

I'll do your reading

London Preppy said...

Seriously? Email me

Oldyeller said...

Excellent news; congrats! (I'm not much for twitter myself.) Looking forward to buying it.

I too would do almost anything to avoid speaking in front of even a small no. of people, but I think maybe you should consider facing the music yourself in this instance. Take some xanax, a couple shots of abristolnovella's fav vodka and you'll be good to go

DDGGLEE said...

Wow, congrates, can't wait. wont be in london around june/july, Good luck.

Al said...

its been great to read over your last few posts that a lot of things are coming together..good luck on all fronts. you seem happier than at any time reading your blog (and thats been a while).

London Preppy said...

al: That's really kind of you, thank you very much. A few things have been falling into place yes and I'm very happy. Take good care

Anonymous said...

Couldn't find your email address.

Seems like you're not the only writer asked to press the flesh with the commoners of London in July. http://www.kingsplace.co.uk/spoken-word/the-guardian-book-club/guardian-book-club-brett-easton-ellis

Sam.

Philip Venables said...

"...none of whom HAS yet murdered him."

...jus' sayin' ;-)