Sunday, 13 December 2009

Sunday 13/12/09

There is a lot of competition for sure, but I decided long ago that that three saddest words in the English language are, “don’t let go”.

It first dawned on me when I read them in that scene in Bright Lights Big City where the main character’s Mother uses them, and since then I’ve been unable to find a situation where these words can be said, that’s not associated with despair, fear, anguish, neediness. Maybe I’m not thinking hard enough; maybe I’m thinking too much. I just can’t see what good can come if anyone, anywhere, at any point actually lets go.

This is a song that uses “don’t let go” as the driving force of its chorus. Frankly, it’s immense. The words, the music, the guy’s voice, everything.

I can’t remember the last time I liked a song from a new band so much. Right at this point, and I know I’ll regret this, I’m drawing insane parallels between this and Depeche Mode and, sorry, The Smiths. I listened to it on my iPod walking around the city last night and it was freezing cold and it was around midnight and there was a river there, and it took all the strength that I had not jump right in, because life just couldn’t get any better. Or worse. I’m not sure which.

In any case, HURTS (or is it hurts?) is my favourite new band at the moment, based on this one song. They haven’t actually released anything yet, they will do in the new year, but until then I have this to rest all my hopes on.

Am I building myself up for disappointment? Will this only end in tears? Am I opening myself up only to be left broken, shattered, alone? Probably. I don't care. Let me be destroyed.



Oh. And I fancy the guy that plays the keyboard.

20 comments:

athlonnyc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
athlonnyc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ozzie said...

i like him too

Anonymous said...

See this is why we still need London Preppy, we all know exactly what you're talking about and this song is awesome
Kirk

Tim in Italy said...

John Irving is to me what BEE is to you. Your post brought back "The Hotel New Hampshire" and its two main points: 'it will probably end badly, but that's no reason not to have a good time along the way' and "keep passing the open windows'. You will, of course, do what you need to do. As we all will.

Al said...

Amazing track. Love it.

Dirk Muir said...

It sounds like the Pet Shop Boys wrote a new song with a guest vocalist (and maybe a wittier lyricist). Excellent song.

Fresco said...

Thank you.

kim said...

something instantly familiar about that song ... keep us posted if you see/hear anything more from them.

though, if everything else they do is crap, we'll pretend they died while at the top of their game.

kim said...

hurts - wonderful life [uk duo who want to be purveyors of 'doom pop'.

doom pop = surely the perfect musical sub-culture for this site

morrissey playing the role of god-father to doom pop, naturally

Man laying down said...

It's a wonderful, wonderful life
If you can find it

Love the track

ochayethenoo said...

wow I was obsessed by bright lights big city a few months ago- was the film as shit as it's made out to be?
The lead inger looks like ye of history boys and MAMMA MIA! fame, dominic something

.Gash said...

I discovered them last week too and absolutely love this song. The synths are a little weak though, it could do with some stronger electronic arpeggios and then it would actually be some kind of solemn synthesizer perfection.

Agreed on the perving. What is it about boys playing synths that is so hot? He actually very much reminds me of the keyboard player in Schwefelgelb. fitfitfit

Logan said...

I didn't even know you could post anonymous comments after all this time.

Sorry if this comes off as being mean, but why did you hate having your hair short like in the pictures from when you were sick? I loved it like that, but I suppose everyone has different preferences. If someone has buzzed hair, a little bit of stubble and a nice jaw line I immediately fall in love with them haha.

Anonymous said...

that's the reason i called u last night!believe in telepathy

Jake said...

"Don't Let Go" is also the name of an En Vogue song, and I have to admit I bloody love it.

Though the lyric "If I could wear your clothes I'd pretend I was you, and lose control." scares me just a little bit.

Video is fierce too.

London Preppy said...

kim: I've hears two more songs, and though not as breathtaking as this one, they're still pretty great

logan: I like the look you describe but it doesn't work on me. I lack the jawline. And the stubble

jake: Ha, you're right, of course! I do love that song too

athlonnyc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
IanSpesh said...

If you like HURTS, you'll like these guys... http://www.myspace.com/mirrorsmirrorsmirrors

sleepyboy said...

You have to be destroyed so you can rebuild, like fire brings life to a forest. The stagnant detritus hinders growth. So let it come and swallow you, twisting your body black.