Saturday, 14 November 2009

Saturday 14/11/09

These are my top 20 albums of 2009. Plus a youtube link for a couple of songs from each album. I had said I'd write a way to kill oneself inspired by each album, but you know what, I've only done that for the top 3. SO-RRY.

Here they are:

20. Miss Kittin & The Hacker – Two
(1,000 Dreams / Suspicious Minds)

19. Pete Yorn & Scarlett Johansson – Break Up
(Relator / Blackie's Dead)

18. Erik Hassle – Hassle
(Hurtful / Isn't It Obvious)

17. Morrissey – Years Of Refusal
(I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / That's How People Grow Up

16. Junior Boys – Begone Dull Care
(Parallel Lines / Work)

15. Felix Da Housecat – He Was King
(We All Wanna Be Prince / Elvi$)

14. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – It’s Blitz!
(Zero / Heads Will Roll)

13. Yuksek – Away From The Sea
(Tonight / Break Ya)

12. Gossip – Music For Men
(Pop Goes The World / Men In Love)

11. La Roux – La Roux
(In For The Kill / Quicksand)

10. The Temper Trap – Conditions
(Sweet Disposition / Fools)

9. Peaches – I Feel Cream
(Lose You / I Feel Cream)

8. Pet Shop Boys – Yes
(Love Etc / All Over The World)

7. Fischerspooner – Entertainment
(The Best Revenge / Money Can't Dance)

6. Simian Mobile Disco – Temporary Pleasure
(Audacity Of Huge / Cruel Intentions)

5. Tiga – Ciao!
(Shoes / Speak, Memory)

4. Annie – Don’t Stop
(Songs Remind Me Of You / Bad Times)

3. Bjork – Voltaic (The Volta Mixes)
(Dull Flame Of Desire - Modeselektor Remix For Girls / Earth Intruders - Lexx Remix)

I’m in Sydney at the Mardi Gras party on Saturday night after the parade. I’m busy fighting my way through the shirtless, sweaty crowds trying to find a friend who’s passing out in the corner, slightly pissed off because I’ve had to leave behind this Canadian guy with the biggest arms I've ever seen (but I'm a good friend like that) and as this is happening I can hear the Modeselektor Remix For Girls of The Dull Flame Of Desire by Bjork coming on and think, oh I know this song, and I try to sing along to the first verse, so as to show everyone that I know it…but as I’m mouthing "I love your eyes my dear", she’s already on the second verse where she sings “there’s a charm that’s greater still", and then I can't remember anything else apart from crashing down and a flashing thought that I had most of the drink that made my friend leave the dancefloor to go lose consciousness in a dark corner before handing it to him

2. IAMX – Kingdom Of Welcome Addiction
(My Secret Friend / I Am Terrified)

I’m standing in what you might call the moshpit at the IAMX gig in Warsaw, very near the front but slight off to the right with Scott’s hands on my shoulders behind me. During the first eight songs I have taken two or three bumps of ketamine, which are already making me feel like I’m not there. When they launch into I Am Terrified, I open the bag and take the rest of the 3 grams, each snort stinging more than the previous one, my eyes really watering now, almost unable to lift the key up to my nose for the final hit. I fall to the floor within two minutes and Scott walks away, out of the venue, leaving me there, as I’ve asked him to, proving his love to me

1. Royksopp – Junior
(The Girl And The Robot / You Don't Have A Clue)

I’m in Sydney listening to this on my headphones, You Don’t Have A Clue is playing, it’s soon after 0900 and I’m on my way to the temp job where they pay me $25/hour to google stuff and get into arguments with a line manager that nobody takes seriously about my lack of interest and effort (hello, I am a) London Preppy and b) on an extended holiday for stress-related breakdown recovery). I’m at the intersection of Park Street and George Street and start crossing diagonally once the traffic lights turn green. I don’t remember what hits me first, a bus or the red Ford Falcon, but I never hear past the first three seconds of Silver Cruiser, which is fine really, because it’s the weakest song on the album

5 comments:

Beth Dunn said...

I'll check them out. Thx for sharing xoxo

SC

Fresco said...

I have a déjà-lu feeling that the Bjork scene of crime is a remake of a setting soundtracked by ‘Heartbreak (make me a dancer)’ by Sophie-Ellis Bextor, but you know what, you’re like a cat with 9 lives, so still 6 fatal accidents to go.

Number 8 is quite good, actually.

London Preppy said...

fresco: I relied on readers' short span memory and recycled. Damn you Fresco with your good attention skills

peter said...

Never underestimate reader intelligence

PSC III

Woodsman said...

I think i met that Canadian guy during the Freemasons performance. I would have let your friend pass away, it wouldve been worth it.