Friday, 27 March 2009

Bloc Party - Song For Clay (Disappear Here)

There is a style magazine called Fantastic Man and the current issue has Bret Easton Ellis on the cover and an interview with him inside.  

At some point during the interview, the journalist starts talking about BEE's fans.  I'm copying from the magazine:

The proximity between Mr Ellis and his work is an enduring fascination for his fans. You can call Bret Easton Ellis fans "fans" in a way that you cannot with other authors but that you might with a rock star or film director.  Bret himself tells of a fan that runs a blog under the name LONDON PREPPY who has "BRET EASTON ELLIS" tattooed inside his biceps.

"My mother has something locked in on Google where if there is something posted about me she gets it. She sends me all these links. So that's really how I keep up"

Bret Easton Ellis takes the hero worship that follows him politely. "I guess ultimately it's nice to have people respond to your books that way".  Pause.  "It's a good thing".  Pause.  "I can't even begin to think about what would be particularly negative about it".  Pause.  "And there is nothing I can do about it and realistically it is something that I have no control over, so...You certainly do not decide your own reputation".

How does it feel to know that there is a stranger wandering about with your name tattooed on him?

"It's strange, you know?"

This time there is a longer pause than usual.

"It makes you feel like that's the other Bret. There is the Bret that is dealing with all of his stuff in his life right now and it's all very mundane and typical and work-related and relationship-related and family-related and all these are very simple things that everyone deals with. And it's a very simple life, too. So it's very weird to see that. But you get to a point where you're used to it and you realise that they're referencing something different from the mundane reality of that life. They are referencing Bret Easton Ellis, not Bret Ellis, which is the name on all my cheque stubs. It's Bret Easton Ellis. They are referencing this thing that has been sometimes, over the years great. And it suggests a whole litany of associations and references".

So there we have it.  Bret Easton Ellis' Mum has seen this blog.  Bret Easton Ellis has seen this blog.  If this doesn't mean London Preppy has come full circle, I don't know what does.

Screenshots of the magazine interview can be seen here (I didn't take these pictures, I found them online):

http://www.imagebam.com/image/93d5f529896507
http://www.imagebam.com/image/583eda29896512

I was told about this article by a fashion journalism student in London who wanted to interview me for her project.

She asked me about the tattoo and why I had it and whether I consider myself a big fan.  My answers (before reading the article) were:

"The Bret Easton Ellis tattoo is a declaration of how appealing his work is to me.  I’m not really interested in Bret Easton Ellis as a person, or as a celebrity.  I wouldn’t want to meet him and “hang out” with him and neither do I idolise him.  I appreciate his philosophy as it comes through his writing.  I share similar concerns.  Therefore, I don’t consider myself “a fan”.  I don’t want to go through his rubbish or get his autograph"

I then went and read the article and, what can I say, I'm pleased with the way BEE describes the same thing that I had on my mind when I got the tattoo.  I am referencing his work, his ideas, not the actual person.  (Although he also sounds a little bit scared...sorry)

Anyway, I'm done.  That's all.  That is well and truly all.

27 comments:

S said...

And now you can die in peace.

writersblokc said...

I got my hands on 'American Psycho' and I am about to finish it. I don't know if you liked this one or not, but I have to ask: do you see yourself as a modern Pat Bateman, leaving out -more or less- the psycho part? The clothes, the constant workout, the vanity.. I think of him as a really sad person, surrounded by empty and shallow people, and he is so fed up with it, that he has to 'imitate reality'. I really have a hard time going through the book though, the violence gets too graphic for me at some points. :\

I am looking to buy Less than Zero. Is it any good?
Kali sinexeia. ;)

Joseph said...

I know the following sentiment which I'm about to express is uncharacteristic of this blog, but: I am very happy for you. It is, I think, always a great honour to be recognised by your heroes (if you can categorise BEE as one).

j said...

welcome back?

Graham said...

This really is the end, isn't it. It's strange in a way that something which at one point was an integral part of ones day, almost as much as eating. In a way LP the blog was feeding us all. And then it was removed in a sense and slowly, even though we show up here and there to check in, it became less vital and then eventually you just forget to check it out. Then a facebook update alerts to this and it's for a little while all exciting again. That BEE has seen it. Great. It's true, LP the blog has come full circle. I think in many ways this is the absolute pinnacle for a blog and for that (and the journey) we applaud you.

Thanks
g

Cal said...

you-should-come-back. i miss reading your blog. i tried to find a replacement that's as much fun to read as yours was. i failed.

kim said...

could there have been a better encore? probably not.

Dan said...

This time, I believe you.

Thank you LP.

Good luck on your journey.

j said...

i would get "london preppy" tattooed on my bicep but mine isn't as nicely defined as yours and it would just look silly.

Oldyeller said...

Unlike Graham & others, I have continued to check your blog first thing every workday morning when I log on. Force of habit more than anything else I think, but that will stop now.

So BEE's mum will certainly pass on your post to her son-I think he will appreciate your explanation of the tatto.

Very sorry you're done. Please leave your blog up if you can. I am a fan, whatever that means.

London Preppy said...

j: Strongly encouraged

Still Here said...

LP, what a shame that I found this blog only as you conclude the adventure. I do however take pride in knowing that whilst I may never have met you, I do seem to be one of the few that know who you really are.

A sweet guilty smile feeds accross my face...the reality (as it turns out) is as good as the fantasy I would have had anyway.

All the best.

Rogue said...

Well if really is the end...best I make a short comment...

As much as it hurts me to say(and you know it does LP!) but congratulations on the recognition by your 'hero' or whatever he is to you.

Dave said...

Hi there LP. I met you last night. I was staring at you for ages wondering where I knew you from, and then I saw the tats!

You and your friends are very good looking men LP - could I ever compete in that league ;-) ?

Anyway, I understand it must be weird having randoms come up to you and try to be your best mate, so I really appreciate the fact that you were so polite to me.

I have so many questions LP, I can't believe you're gone.

All the best.

London Preppy said...

dave: Thanks for messaging, no worries it's not weird having people talk to me and I wasn't being polite, it was nice to chat to you. Oh and if you do have questions, feel free to email me [insert smiley].

Take good care for now

atomicum said...

Well, if it is the end I must say thanks, these past 10 months since I found London Preppy have been and interesting read.

Jim said...

I completely understand. I got this dolphin tattoo on my ankle not because I wish I were an actual dolphin, but because I want to embody the spirit of dolphin-ness. And so did all my other girlfriends on that spring break trip.

IS that book of your finished yet? I'd like to pre-order it on Amazon.

Bleeding Madras said...

LP. I've read your blog almost from the beginning, ive scoured online UK magazines for your name, ive seen the video you put up for a few hours revealing your face, in my mind ive yelled at you calling energie preppy. You kept me sane, you and vicoden. Now its over, no daily dose of cynical ramblings that no one cares about - but yet we read.

I took a guess at your name,

I came up with Mike.

MP saga is over

,
I dont like it.

tim said...

NoooOOOO. it can't be all! I've just got london preppy tattoo-ed on my instep. dammit. dammit. dammit all to hell. where is the rubbish bin for me to rummage through now????!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Simon said...

Full circle indeed! I particularly like the fact that BEE talks about the difference between the BEE you have a tattoo of and the 'real' Bret Ellis. If, indeed, he is real. If any of us are real. Or are we merely copies and imitations? Hmm...

Now I have to go and ponder that.

TTFN

Simon

konshonchloe said...

hey good blogg!!

Gerry said...

I know you're not posting anymore, but I'm going to Bloc Party tomorrow night. Seeing their name at the top of this post makes me happy.

JimmyD said...

I saw 'The Informers' last Friday. I think it was well represented. What are your thoughts of a 'Less Than Zero' sequel with the original cast? I hear there's been talk and interest.

Phil Charlton said...

All seems a bit sad!

Where in Australia are you then?!

Hapi said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

mona said...

To date, and including the current instance, I've posted comments on blogs exactly 3 times.

I have to comment on this.

"It makes you feel like that's the other Bret..."

That is fucking amazing. On so many different levels. I won't bore you with my analysis; I'm sure you've got it under control.

The Handsome Dunce of Camden College Fame said...

The Easton Author is regressing into summary in his latest sequel.