Tuesday, 20 January 2009

Bon Iver - Blood bank

A former reader sent me an email the other day and this email contained a music recommendation and this music recommendation was Bon Iver.

And what we know about Bon Iver is:

a) He put his first album out last year and it's called For Emma, Forever Ago and it has eight songs, like all albums should have really, and all the songs make you want to be trapped in a remote wooden cabin surrounded by snow, maybe a light storm, I wouldn't say no (how could I?) and you're there with only one other person but this is a person that makes you think that if you were on a motorbike together and the motorbike crashed and you both died, well...there are worse things that could have happened.  Incidentally, it's quite warm in the wooden cabin, it's not like you're freezing or anything

b) Bon Iver is an adopted name and it comes from the French for "good winter" (Bon Hiver).  This tells you a lot about the music that you're going to hear

c) After the first album, Bon Iver put out an EP earlier this month and this EP has four songs and it's called Blood Bank EP.  This is equally good, if not better than the first album because it contains the word blood - which elevates any musical output if included as a lyric, really

d) The artwork for Bon Iver's records is better than I could ever have hoped for; in fact this is one time when I don't get a slap in the face, everything goes like it should and I may not be very relaxed about all this (what is it leading to? what's gonna happen?), I'm willing to put up with it as long as I have Blood Bank to listen to.  Anyway, back to the record sleeves.  Look, one of them shows a view from a frosty window...


...and the other shows (what I think is) a car, snowed under...


...which means that you can't drive anywhere, but quite frankly, why would you want to?

And these records couldn't have come in my life at any better point, apart than now that I've left Sydney and I travelled somewhere very far and very north, where hopefully the snow will stay forever and I will too.


And video for Blood Bank



14 comments:

Gabriel said...

hope you enjoyed sydney. and the boys were kind to you.

Superchilled said...

You've left our shores already?
And the weather is just getting into the real summer, and the spectacular evenings!
Ah, it sounds like you had an awful time. I hope wherever you are now you're feeling exactly how you want to feel.

Jim said...

Um, are you allowed free movement on this Earth by the terms of your parole from this blog?

Have you moved to Greenland or Canada?

Bill said...

Alaska? Canada? Siberia? Kamchatka - I can see you as an oil driller, lol?

Northern Japan for skiing?

IanO said...

Good post Preppy. Did you get to listen to the EP yet?

London Preppy said...

gabriel: Everyone was, yes

superchilled: Not an awful time at all

jim: Yes, I'm not constrained by "London" preppy anymore ha

bill: I couldn't possibly say. But oil driller is very close

ian: I did yes, really like it

Stephen said...

Of course they were nice to you. Everyone in Sydney is nice to people with big pecs.

Jeff said...

Bon Iver is incredible. It's so rare for me to find a toned downed artist I really enjoy since without a thumping base line to carry the weight, the lyrics and the melody and emotion need to be right on. But when they get it right they really get it right. Bon Iver makes my heart break in all the right places.

I don't know where you went, but I hope it's someplace you feel like yourself. I too live in a winter wonderland where melancholy is our version of happiness. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Oldyeller said...

Quite mysterious, but perhaps this quote from your past affords a clue as to your whereabouts.

"Mind you, I don’t want to go to Sydney permanently, I am quite convinced that my long-term future is in London (or Iceland of course, but nobody in their right mind wants to move there with me and I don’t speak Eskimo so I can relocate there on my own)."

Or perhaps you are back in the Alps, looking pensively out that window, pretending to be a recovering WWI soldier in a Swiss santitarium.

se said...

Wherever you've gone I hope it does the trick for you. All the best.

Trans Fat said...

Dude, I'm waiting for your review of "Slumdog Millionaire"..... did you see it yet? The movie is absolutely horrendous....

Luke said...

Seems like a cool track, I'll check out the rest of the EP.

It reminds me of my favorite band, The Wrens, they seem to have a similar attitude to getting round to releasing records and also have the best song title ever: I've made enough friends.

Anonymous Blogger said...

I've never listened to Bon Iver before, but so far so good. I am always in a constant search for new music, thanks suggestion.

absoluterik said...

Hi man

I like your blog.
Gaymagination operates 6 blogs for more than 300 000 visitors per month.
I would be please to exchange links with you, beacuase we both are into underwear nice pics.
www.theunderwearpower.com
Just tell me with which of my blogs you'd want an exchaneg lilnk
:)
www.restoringlove.com
http://gay-kiss-paradise.blogspot.com/

kisses
:)

erik

absoluterik@gaymagination.com