Tuesday, 16 September 2008

Tuesday 16/09/08

On Sunday I get home at 0830 and have a shower trying to wash at least some of the shame away, and then I go to bed.  I wake up at 0945 and satisfied with my 50 minutes of sleep, I spend the rest of the day in the living room, where I watch twenty two episodes of Frasier (series 10).  Twenty two. 

At 1115 I try to order a pizza online from Pizza Hut and/or Domino’s but they are both closed, as I suppose we are not expected to be hungry for pizza at 11 o’clock in the morning on this lazy Sunday.  So I make this gigantic effort, leave Frasier temporarily behind and walk over to Marks and Spencer to buy a pizza and heat it up myself.  For fuck’s sake. 

Then suddenly it’s 2030 so I take some Zimovane and go to bed.  I wake up at 0820 on Monday morning.  Have people considered sleeping alternate nights only?  Cause right now I’m thinking this isn’t such a bad plan. 

But then, by Monday morning, none of this seems to matter anymore.  The punishment that I’ve been expecting for the last 22 years of my life finally comes.  I’m not complaining – I’ve known this was coming and I know I’ve deserved it since that fateful night in my bed when I was 6, and even though I’ve tried to prepare myself and pretend this won’t break me, on this Monday morning just before half past eight, I can’t stay strong, I feel like I’m beaten.  I know it’s there, I can feel it ripping up my soul, I can feel the tingling on my bottom lip.  I’m getting a cold sore. 

Cold sores are my least favourite type of transmittable herpes.  (I reserve the right to change my mind about this if I ever get any other type of transmittable herpes).  Cold sores drain my heart and wrench my spirit.  I know this is very superficial and shallow, but everyone’s appearance affects them to some extent.  Some people feel so bad about the way that they look that hatred and bitterness eventually  becomes a permanent personality trait (hello NF – initials just a wild guess).  I feel like that when I get a cold sore.  Plus it hurts. 

I’ve managed to beat cold sores in the last couple of months, after A Girl gave me a supplement called Lysine, which helps prevent them.  Then I ran out, then I was too embarrassed to go and buy some more because it meant talking to people in a shop, and now I have a cold sore again. 

I know it’s too late and my cold sore has already broken out, which means that for the next month I will look like I’ve been punched in the mouth (which I suppose makes a difference from the usual slap in the face), but this Monday lunchtime I don’t give a fuck, I’m desperate, I need to get my hands on some Lysine and overdose on it.  The cold sore won’t go, but I will feel better. 

So on Monday lunchtime, the following things happen: 

I leave the office as early as possible

- I walk over to GNC with an empty bottle of Lysine and shove it in the salesperson’s face

- The salesperson tells me that they’ve run out and will probably have some more in on Thursday

I walk out shaking and in a complete rage and call Scott to say a last goodbye

- Scott tells me to try Holland & Barrett instead, gives me an address and tries to direct me

I can’t follow directions in this mental state, so I tell Scott that if it’s meant to be I’ll just find Holland & Barrett on my own and I hang up

- I find Holland & Barrett

- They have Lysine

- I buy Lysine

I read the instructions (“Take one to two tablets daily, preferable with a meal.  Do not exceed stated dose”)

I take six and walk back to the office

Back in the office A Girl and I sit at our desks from 1502 to 1506 listening to I’m Not Sorry by Morrissey on our iPods pretending to work, and email our favourite lyrics to each other. 

30 comments:

phoenix said...

Lysine for coldsores? Really? Wonder why amino acid would be a treatment.

Are you marking tallies of the days left in your prison cell er I mean at your workplace? I sure am...

blueyedboy said...

I'm not so sure about lysine doing much good, but maybe you should go down the chemist and buy some Zovirax?

The Milkman said...

I also hate cold sores. Lysine works nicely. You might also try a prescription drug called Valtrex, which I find is effective in combination with Lysine. Take the medication if you plan on being in the sun a lot, as that can make cold sores re-appear.

I love that you took six of the Lysine. I've always felt that if two are good, then six are better.

Trybaby said...

Hah, I had no idea actually. I didn't even know you bothered to look at my blog. I'm actually very surprised and unsettled now.

London Preppy said...

phoenix: Indeed. A Girl told me this, I never really believed it but took them anyway, then Scott found a few relevant articles confirming

blue: I've got that too. That actually seems to do nothing for me. I can see the progress of my cold sore, I know them well by now. I'm fucked

milkman: I know, why stop at two? What do these people take us for really?

d said...

go to the dr and get a prescription for valtrex... it works at the first tingle you get from a cold sore... ive had to live with those nasty buggers my entire life, and valtrex is the only thing that seems to work on controling them

London Preppy said...

Thanks d and milkman, DONNELL ARE YOU READING THIS

Anonymous said...

Well have you seen any improvement after taking the six? Hope so.
Andy

Anonymous said...

LP!! Fuck the lysine. It's all about acyclovir as early as possible, and putting it on obsessively every 10 minutes or taking it orally if you have the medical connections.
It works wonders as long as you do it as soon as you get that first tingle, but helps even when it's got worse. Otherwise lots of bed rest, fluids, food and vit. c.
Lysine is a bit of bollocks, unless your diet is totally unbalanced and unhealthy.
Hope it goes soon. I totally feel your pain.

Gav Dublin said...

And what, exactly, were you doing at the age of 6 in your bed to pre-dispose you to all this bad luck?

Was that a planted seed in the post that you hoped someone would pick up on or just a "throw-away"?

London Preppy said...

ah gavin, is anything really just a throwaway? Not where I'm concerned ;-)

Oldyeller said...

I wondering if its a mere coicidence that you stabbed yourself with a fork in the lower lip on Fri. and developed a coldsore on Mon. on the same bleeding lip?

kim said...

The Milkman: Take the medication if you plan on being in the sun a lot, as that can make cold sores re-appear.

you don't come here often, do you?

dickophile said...

whoo! crisis averted. so do we get a pic of the cold sore?

Cockbag LLC said...

I love how you can make mundane events like laying/lying on the couch and buying medicine sound so much more interesting than they really are.

Ja said...

Today my concern for A Girl has become greater than that for you. Does she have an exit strategy?

AlwaysReadySF said...

agree with d.

my partner gets cold sores as well and valtrex works wonders for him at the first sign of them. you do have to take it immediately when you feel the tingle.

www.valtrex.com/

even with the cold sore, though, you still managed to write a kick-ass post.

i had a horrible day at work and after reading the post i laughed my ass off. thanks!

L.A. Fireman said...

Hey LP,

I get them every so often, and I, too, dread the tingling feeling, knowing that for the next week or two I have to put up with some yet unknown-sized painful scabby blister. I used to pop the pus-filled blisters that I could see forming below the surface of my lips, but it never really helped. However, I found something relatively new that seems to work now, as long as you catch it early.

My brother-in-law is a dentist, and he stocks this stuff called Viroxyn. It comes in little plastic viles with a gauze applicator at the end of it. It has a small glass capsule within the plastic applicator which you break by pinching it within the vile. The liquid then comes out and soaks through the gauze, which you then rub on your lips. You have to do this though once you feel the tingling, or it's useless. I pay him about $20 for three viles. Here is a link for something real similar, or maybe I could send you some as a thank you for the enjoyment I get from reading your blog.

London Preppy said...

oldy: Same side yes. I thought the same thing

kim: Evidently not!

dick: No, I don't hate people that much

ja: No. No, she doesn't. She's stuck

la: link? Or yes please!

MrM said...

You may not hate people THAT much, but one could be led to believe that you might hate yourself enough to do such a thing.
I must confess, it is relief, both for your mental state and for that of your readers, that it is not so.
Phew - and thank you.

Anonymous said...

So 2 Sundays ago at Orange (I'd like to state now that it was my first and last Orange) I kissed a guy... he was cute and we were sharing his ____ ... and I felt on my lip what I can only imagine was a cold sore. Maybe it was something else. Either way, um... gross. (it was dark obviously, so visual identification was not so easy...)

I really hope I don't catch them...

Anonymous said...

So 2 Sundays ago at Orange (I'd like to state now that it was my first and last Orange) I kissed a guy... he was cute and we were sharing his ____ ... and I felt on my lip what I can only imagine was a cold sore. Maybe it was something else. Either way, um... gross. (it was dark obviously, so visual identification was not so easy...)

I really hope I don't catch them...

Anonymous said...

Cold sore? You're dirty - stay away from me!

Anonymous said...

For future incidents use your Greek connections and get your mum/dad/sister to pop into the local pharmacy and buy you some Zorivax tablets. They are prescription only here, but over the counter in Greece. At the first tingle, pop a pill and the problem dissolves away painlessly.
Specky

Maluminas said...

i don't believe in those single amino acid supplements, even for bodybuilding. The truth is, you're already getting several grams of each in you normal diet, and even more if you take protein shakes and such, so your little 500mg pill looks useless (and expensive) when you have a look at the numbers. Its even more doubtful for therapeutic use... but if it works...

London Preppy said...

anon: I'd never kiss someone whilst I have a cold sore. Maunly because I feel disgusted with myself when I have them.

Hmm maybe the guy had somethign else stuck on his lip? I won't even attempt to speculate

specky: Great tip, thanks

maluminas: It works in my head and that counts for 89% of all therapy

Anonymous said...

no idea what a cold sore is, can u take pic?

London Preppy said...

anon: I'm going to take a wild guess that you already have access to the internet

Anonymous said...

Abreva works well to shorten the outbreak.

prepster said...

When you leave, will A Girl need a LP, awesomely preppy replacement?