Thursday, 11 September 2008

Thursday 11/09/08

On Wednesday Scott returns to me the silver ring with his initials on it, a silver ring which I asked him to take back to the jewellers and have resized, so that it fits around my wedding ring finger on my left hand.  Before that it was too big and I had to wear it on a chain around my neck.  

And I want to wear this ring permanently and I want people to think that I’m straight and married.  I’m on the tube and I’m holding on to the bar and I’m just some guy.  And this guy is married. 

Not everything goes well this Wednesday though (why would it), because in the office the following things happen over email: 

A Girl: I have a confession to make.  Actually I just realised it now and I can’t hold it from you for even a second longer.  Do you want to know now or should I wait for a better time.  This was not the way I planned things, this was not how it was supposed to end 

Me: Revelation NOW.  I’ve not been this excited since…well, ever actually 

A Girl: There is a chance, I don’t know how large or small the chance, but averaging the two I would say there is a moderate chance that I.might.not.be.here.on.your.last.day. 

I’m finding it difficult to type anything after that.  There is no excuse important or wild enough to cover this tragedy.  The only thing I can say is that it is work related. I just found out yesterday that I am on a ___ job for ___ which involves international travel and I will be going somewhere.  I don’t know where, I don’t know exactly when but it will be sometime [dates around my leaving date]. 

Me: I will pretend this did not just happen 

A Girl: This is exactly what I am trying, but failing miserably, to do.  To sum up, I’ll give you a breakdown of these recent events: 

Wednesday 1127:  I email you with this devastating news

Wednesday 1128: Any light that was ever inside us dies 

At lunchtime I deal with this new tragedy in the only way that I know, so I go over to Virgin Megastore and buy another Smiths t-shirt – exactly the same as last time.  This is something that cheers me up for three seconds. 

After work I meet up with Scott and we go to the gym, where I only manage to do three sets on the lat pulldown and one set on the back row machine, before being chased out of there by an angry mob with torches and pitchforks. 

Later at home, I receive a video from Mean, and this is a video of him playing out on Muscle Beach in Santa Monica (LA apparently?  I don’t know) using some rings.  So here’s the video and here’s Mean.



Will this video stay on for a long time?  Will it it be gone soon?  Will A Girl miss my last day at work?  Will she be on a flight back from a tiresome business meeting in Beijing clutching a dirty Martini glass dressed in her black funeral dress as I'm having my leaving speech delivered?  Will I glance over at her empty desk as I walk out of the office for the last time, remembering the bad times that we shared and how we kept dragging each other down, further down, reaching new lows, rock bottom really, together?

I don't know.  I have no way of knowing.  These aren't answers I can find in the script.  I've outlived it, and I'm on my own.  There's a reason why they don't let actors ad-lib.

26 comments:

Alex said...

Amazing! A Girl should come back after 15 hour flight and miss you by 5 minutes or so... of course in this case she will have to open her own blog to tell us about that.

London Preppy said...

alex: I like that positive spin on this HIUGE TRAGEDY

AlwaysReadySF said...

Although I am not one to (usually) rejoice in the misfortunes of others I will admit that A-Girl's moderately possible early departure is an exciting (for us) new development in the saga.

I also like that your posts go up at about the time I eat lunch (and yes, I have no life and eat lunch at my desk) so I got to see Mean as I have a feeling the video will disappear soon.

See how I made this all about me?

Also, henceforth Mean will not be known as Mean anymore but as Goofy Straight Guy With The Cute Smile.

Or then again that might be just a deception, like everything else in life.

Discotheque GQ said...

Maybe this will just be a great excuse for A Girl to visit you during your first week in Australia! I mean how selfish is she for putting her work before you.

Gav Dublin said...

Time to throw yourself bodily under an oncoming tube whilst listening to some depressing Smiths lyrics. On repeat, of course.

On a more positive note it must, given the video evidence, be uplifting to have such flexible friends.

jhkirkendall said...

Yes, Santa Monica is a seaside municipality surrounded (on its non-sea sides) by the city of Los Angeles.

Oldyeller said...

You and A Girl obviously have been created by a cloning process that somehow went terribly, horribly wrong.

I don't believe you ever told us that Mean was such a cutie--great smile!

London Preppy said...

always: Don't worry about making this all about you, that's the best way of doing things, everything really. It's all about us, each one individually

disco: I really do hope they fly her out there. Can you imagine?

gav: I'm choosing my suicide song as we speak

oldy: There you go. Mean: gay pin-up

Trybaby said...

Was there really a problem at the gym?

London Preppy said...

try: Of course not

Maluminas said...

You know, A Girl doesn't need to be there, because then you'd have to bid sad farewells. Since you cant bid farewell if she's not there, you'll just have to meet again. Simple and effective.

Phoenix said...

You forgot to add "To be continued"at the end of the episode! Otherwise people might think the season has already ended.

How will you cope with no A Girl? I remember the same thing happened on my last day at work, last day really sucked. On the other hand, she was stuck working there for another year without me and was seriously miserable, so that's karma.

Mike said...

Glamorama reference noted.

Trybaby said...

Sebastien Tellier - La Ritournelle

Hey what is the name of the remix of this song that you had up here before you took that music player down.

Trybaby said...

oops never mind i found it.

Red Exile / Красная Ссылка said...

Ah - seems like a push to prove the greater love to me...

...does she theart her career for you; or you delay your trip for her?

Gripping season finale perhaps...

george said...

mean don't look so mean.....george

RT said...

Appaently A Girl is wishing that she had the matching wedding band on your left hand.

Yes, Santa Monica is part of Los Angeles. It's on the ocean; beautiful; and, way overpriced...oh yeah, way over crowded.

So glad you made it through such a tragic day! I would have been in the fetal position in a corner somewhere.

dickophile said...

mean is yummy. we like mean.

timbo said...

Nah...Mean disappointed me. I pictured someone much more rat-like -- possibly with red hair -- and definitely looking harder and angrier. He's kind of hum-drum. Like he belongs in musical theater or something.

Anonymous said...

Holla from one of your readers livin' in Venice (v near Santa Monica). He's kinda cute. And A-Girl must obviously die for that totally disrespectful attitude. At least you have the coffin part down.

Alex said...

LP, what is the tune in this video?

Alex said...

D'oh! I must be the only person in this country who haven't heard "That's Not My Name" yet...

Morrissey said...

What's up with the Mean? I though he's be a lot hipper and cooler. He seems to be a typical straight boy, with a queer/awkward giggle/smile. He only did a summersault on a the rings. Why the embarrassed giggle?

Stephen said...

Just to be picky, Santa Monica is not part of Los Angeles. It is its own Incorporated City. It is, however, in Los Angeles County.

And whilst I'm nit picking, Muscle Beach is not in Santa Monica - it's to the south in Venice (which is part of Los Angeles).

Mind you, those rings that Mean was on may well be in Santa Monica, as I believe they have some there too.

JamesR said...

Why is Mean called "Mean"? He looks anything but. "oldy: There you go. Mean: gay pin-up" = brills!