Saturday, 27 September 2008

Saturday 27/09/08

This is a Thursday when I go to work and then I go to the gym and then I go home to pack.  And this is not packing for Sydney, not yet, but it’s packing for somewhere else and this somewhere else is Athens. 

Now the problem that occurs as I’m starting to pack is that I realise that all my clothes are ridiculous taken out of context.  And the context is someone living in West/Central London trying to look pseudo-preppy with a huge tongue-in-cheek twist.  Oh and a little gay. 

And I’m starting to think that ridiculous moccasins from Cornwall and shirts with the collar up and jumpers tied around my shoulders and permanently wearing short sailing shorts, even though I’ve never been sailing, might not go down that well in Athens. 

So I’m trying to think what people might actually be wearing in Athens and what they might think of a constant use of deck shoes and whether they will get that I’m being tongue in cheek or whether they’ll just think a backward dweeb.  Then I start to panic because I don’t actually have many other clothes, so in the end I pack: 

Three pairs of jeans (from the Gap / Energie / G-Star), two pairs of gym shorts (from Nike and Adidas), three gym wifebeaters (two from Adidas, one stolen from the gym of unknown brand), two stripey long sleeved shirts in pink and light blue (from the Gap), five pairs of shorts (Ted Baker / Berska / ___ / Ralph Lauren / Topman), one navy Lyle & Scott jumper, one green hoodie with Newquay embroided on the front, two cardigan in grey and brown (Reiss / Junk DeLuxe), one pair of white plimsolls, one pair of white espadrilles, two pairs of ridiculous moccasins from Cornwall, one pair of Timberland deck shoes, one red Ralph Lauren jacket, 8 pairs of underwear (all Marks & Spencer), 8 pairs of socks (4 white, 4 black), 10 t-shirts –  3 without a collar – in assorted brands (Lyle & Scott / Fred Perry / Topman / Gap / a Suede one / etc).

I don’t know exactly what I’m planning to do with all those clothes during the time when I’m in Athens when I don’t plan to leave the house more than once.

Then I’m packed and sit down to watch an episode of Sabrina The Teenage Witch (series 2), but I’m distracted, I’m distracted and I can’t follow the complex – no wait, flimsy – plot because this is the last night of my life as I know it.  This is the end is the beginning is the end.

This is that last night that I’m going to have a 2200 yoghurt with nuts whilst watching TV, iron my shirt for tomorrow’s work, brush my teeth, floss and wash my face with a soundtrack of some forgotten Britpop band playing in the background, go to bed with the best intentions, stay awake for a couple of hours fretting about things that can be helped and things can’t, and finally resign and take a pill at 0145, which will give me a few hours of interrupted sleep before going to work.

And because I’m faced with all these impending changes, changes that involve leaving jobs, cities, people, homes and countries behind, I’m so terrified that I’m actually, literally and most definitely feeling numb.

And the fact that Harvey from Sabrina The Teenage Witch never acted again after the show ended, kinda makes everything worse.

24 comments:

kim said...

Uncle Wiki tells us that

"Nate Richert (aka Harvey from Sabrina) is a musician and part of a bluegrass/americana duo"

how the winds of fortune blow.

dickophile said...

don't worry. this may have been a thursday, but that's followed by friday which is that much closer to saturday which is the only good day really because the week is over and its not yet sunday which just makes you dread monday. so enjoy saturday. wait. am i forgetting who im talking to? i should say don't not enjoy yourself too much.

Anonymous said...

I have questions....

Are you going to come out to your parents?

WHY OH WHY are you going to Sydney? I cant see any reasons to go at the moment!

Not a question, but a comment - I am concerned that you seem not to be getting sex of any kind.

Trybaby said...

D8

London Preppy said...

kim: The band hasn't toured since 2004 or something. I don't know what's going on Kim, I really don't

dick: Well every day is the same now that I'm unemployed

anon: I don't know why I'm going to Aus. And no, I don't ever get any sex of any kind

Trybaby said...

Reading this post again reminds me of some advice I had read once.

"Feeling down? Maybe it's Psychosis."

An actual advertisement on the side of a bus. Who knew buses were qualified and registered Psychotherapists?

dickophile said...

yes but how long does that get to last really? and won't you now spend your days worrying about when you'll get a job to support yourself so you don't have to sell your gorgeous body on the streets of sydney?

anonymouse said...

You don't see anything of that talking cat anymore either. You'd think he'd be in demand for pantomines.

London Preppy said...

anon: Salem is the fictional character (even though I actually believe he's not fictional, he's real) that I identify with the most. Also am I the only person who thinks the Salem puppet looks exactly like a real cat?

Trybaby said...

I am sure there are a few developmentally delayed and or blind children/people that think so.

MrM said...

Maybe you can be the Salem of Sydney. Or the plimsole-wearing Salem of Athens. Breathe in, breathe out. You are invincible.

Ja said...

That animatronic cat freaks me out.. at least Caroline Rhea still gets work post Sabrina.

Thanks for the heads up too, I've got a trip home in 3 months and a selection of gap clothing must be had for proper unassuming nights out.

Trybaby said...

I saw Melisa Jone Heart on TV recently! She was on Law&Order:SVU......she kinda got raped in it... O.o.....But she's still on TV :D!!

Phoenix said...

You could say that the Harvey actor never managed to act in the first place ;) *retracts claws*

OK so the door is closing on a lot of things, but maybe it's opening on a lot of otehr things. You're a real glass half empty kind of guy, aren't you?

Glad you took those ridiculous moccasins!

Anonymous said...

i like it the way you always insist on using a definite article with Gap;

i also like it how you insist on your underwear being from M&S; what did you think of this?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7199696.stm

i also keep telling myself that no sex is better than any sex, and getting sex is easy while i don't have to be, and all that.... but still if i don't get sex now when i am young and good looking, then when??

AlwaysReadySF said...

Hey LP,

check this out...

http://www.sfgreekfoodfestival.org/

I think I had mentioned that this is nearby where I live. I might go check it out and send you some pictures tomorrow.

It's either the Greek festival or this

http://folsomstreetfair.org/fair-info.php

What do you think?

London Preppy said...

mrm: I guess Salem is a good, no great, role model to aspire to. All that confidence and attitude

anon: I'll take Paxman's word for that. Actually my sister commented on the quality of my underwear too. How they're worn out. Maybe he has a point

always: Greek Food Festival. GREEK FOOD FESTIVAL!

AlwaysReadySF said...

Maybe I'll do both and compare and contrast the two

chabang said...

ooh oooh my claim to fame...

Nate married a girl i was at school with, she didn't invite me to the wedding though i have met them both since. He's aged but you still would (and wouldn't feel guilty about it).

London Preppy said...

chabang: Oh we must have more info about Harvey. (I refuse to call him Nate). What does he do now? Surely Sabrina royalties aren't enough to keep him AND your school friend indefinitely?

Oh and do we have any information on Salem's whereabouts?

chabang said...

He's Nathan to those of us that know him..... :-)

Some property investments and working as a singer/musician type from what i can gather. The paycheck for sabrina was significant and there's still plenty of royalties.

Nick Backay has one of the Salem puppets, all the others will be rotting in storage somwhere at paramount never to be seen again.

Nathan said...

I wondered how that red jacket was working out for you. A couple of times recently I've been in two minds about buying something (eg camera) and my mind has been swayed by the vision of you in my head saying 'I'm gonna buy it. For God's sake I'm not poor...'

London Preppy said...

nathan: That red jacket has been my most successful item I've bought this year. So versatile. And that quote is the quote that you, Nathan, should remember at al purchases. Especially as you're even richer than me

just someone, details not important said...

I have not read your blog in a while. But....has anyone figured out (or is it common knowledge) your parody of Brett Easton Ellis? It's pretty good!