Saturday, 20 September 2008

Saturday 20/09/08

On Thursday after work I don’t go to the gym but I go out and meet Elliott and Niles, because this is another Featre Fursday (Theatre Thursday with a London accent). 

Featre Fursdays are a long standing tradition between Elliott, Niles, Matty and me, and it’s a night out where we find a deal for dinner and theatre tickets on lastminute.com, and it doesn’t really matter what the dinner is, it matters even less what the theatre is, as long as the whole evening doesn’t cost more than £20.

And on this Thursday it’s only Elliott, Niles and me because Matty has moved to Sydney, and I suppose when I also move to Sydney Featre Fursdays will have to take a break until we’re all back in the same city.

Anyway, we meet up and have dinner in some dive in Covent Garden (burgers? steaks? something like that) and then we walk to the theatre where we watch…no wait, I’m really not going to say what we watch – there are some limits.

In any case, Elliott and Niles are loving it, I’m trying to hide, there’s an empty seat right next to ours in honour of Matty I guess, we eat chocolate biscuits, chocolates and sweets and then suddenly, a short 2.5 hours later we’re set free and we can go home.

It’s 2245 by that point and normally I would start to stress because I need to be home by 2230 on a school night, really, but as Elliott points out, it’s not like I can sleep anyway, so why worry about going to bed.

Then I call Scott as I’m waiting for the tube and I complain because I had a really good time and where am I going to find such good friends in Sydney who are straight AND like to watch ___ The ___ Musical AND like me AND we’ve known each other for years.  And the answer is I won’t but that’s OK, because everyone goes traveling / relocating at some point in their lives and then they come back home and all their friends / previous lives are still there.

Then it’s Friday.

I was wondering in my last post what I should wear on Friday because I have to do several activities that don’t go with each other, so in the end I decide to wear:

Jeans from the Gap, yellow espadrilles (as a nod to A Girl’s yellow cardigan), white short sleeved shirt from I don’t remember where, brown cardigan from Junk De Luxe.  I also cheat and I take with me a Suede t-shirt so I can change out of the shirt and into that later for the indie night.

And here are a couple more songs that we really. really. like.  A "classic" and a newer one.  Maybe I'll do this every now and then.




21 comments:

Tim in Italy said...

It's true that one of the nice things about going away is that you come back. And you can always come back. And it's also true that change is stressful, but that can also be good, though I don't get the impression you're quite buying into that idea. Regardless, you're not going to the moon. And you won't have to get up and go to work at a job you hate. So barring white slavery where you're kept as a sex slave for a bunch of Sydney stevedores... um...

fleetmonkey said...

I wish I hadn't read this - i've now got to spend the rest of my saturday night looking up bands from my indie routes on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVWw5t0niVg

London Preppy said...

tim: No, no, no, no! I'm the one who keeps the sex slave...

fleet: It's addictive, isn't it? It's shocking how much pleasure you can get from typing Echobelly Dark Therapy or Menswear Stardust and watching these videos again. I'm not resisting right now

Alex said...

Yes, you can always come back - but if/when you will, everything will be different.

Trans Fat said...

Have you ever fantasied about having sex with your straight friends, Elliott, Niles, or Matty?

I have a group of straight friends, who I've known for years, before I came out. They are some of my dearest friends in the world. And, of course, I NEVER fantasied about have sex with them.

But I'm curious if you ever fantasied about having sex with your straight friends?

Maluminas said...

I love watching FAIL videos. Always brightens my day.

Illustration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTaTvwl4-28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALob2IKOHD0&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEaqfpqLBK4&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf66r0nQa0Y&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05ru1l2gN88&NR=1

Its addictive too.

Martyn said...

Yes, many people go travelling or relocate and then come back and their friends are still there. However, I know from experience that lives go in different directions during the separation. Your friends make new friends, move in different directions, grow up in different ways and, while away, you do the same. It can be difficult to see the world in the same way as you and your friends did before you went away and get back into the 'swing of things'.

London Preppy said...

alex: Everything? OK

trans: No, never. I bet they always fantasise about having sex with me though. (not really)

maluminas: Very good. I like the Coke one and the pole vault one best

martyn: But...but...in 7.5 months?

Anonymous said...

Nothing stays the same anyway - go or stay everything will be different. The Fickle Finger of Fate (TM) is already limbering up to bowl another googly as we stand uncertain and fearful at the wicket of each new day, hour and minute.

Alex said...

Sorry LP, I guess I was too dramatic (probably projecting too much of my own life here). But still - 7.5 months is quite a long time and some serious changes will happen.

phoenix said...

You do know there are other places in London besides covent garden, right ;)

What's wrong with changes? To quote, Continuity gives us roots; change gives us branches, letting us stretch and grow and reach new heights.

chabang said...

was it Zorro the musical - I always thought that was the sort of thing you'd secretly like :-p

London Preppy said...

chabang: Worse. Much worse than that

deikse mou said...

Worse than Zorro? Has to be either Billy Elliot or Never Forget.

Trybaby said...

I bet you fantasize about having sex with me right?

London Preppy said...

deikse: No comment

London Preppy said...

try: reading all the comments telling London Preppy that he's so great makes me nauseated. I know I used to be a big fan of his blog before but now, I think I've just out grown it

Dirk Muir said...

You seem to really like that IAMX song (After every party I die). Have you heard the original version that he did when he was part of Sneaker Pimps, on the album "Splinter"? It's a little less dirty sounding, but much sleazier and disaffected.

London Preppy said...

dirk: I've got that one too yes. First they threw it away as a b-side for Sick (luckily I'd bought that single) but I suppose they realised it's too good a song and used it for IAMX later on.

I seriously don't know which one I love more. What do you think?

chabang said...

if it's on a meal deal then it the only other possibilities are Never forget, buddy or Eurobeat; two of those contain gratuitous nudity and one involves death and dispare so i'm stumped as to which you'd have liked more :-p

Dirk Muir said...

Actually,I was living in London when I got the version (yes, it was the "Sick" single I first really heard it). and I was just starting to go out frequently, so I really prefer it. The lyrics are amazing, especially at 5 am on a Saturday night (Sunday morning?) and you need to get to sleep.