Saturday, 6 September 2008

Saturday 06/09/08

On Friday I get up at 0600, I do nothing until 0845, I leave home, I meet my boss at ___ station.  Then we catch a train and go see a client for some meeting?  presentation?  I can’t really be sure. 

On the way back we chat, as I’m told that you do, and my boss says: “A Girl will miss you when you’re gone”. 

And I say: “I’ll miss A Girl too.  A Girl is fucking ace” (verbatim). 

And fucking ace is the highest praise anyone can get. 

Then we get back to the office, where everyone is just trying to kill the last few hours of the week, not even pretending to work anymore really, and as I’m sat at my desk staring at my computer screen / the partition between the next desk and mine – alternating between the two really – and listening to my boss typing very loudly behind me, almost punching his keyboard, I phase out and pretend that he’s punching me instead.  Right now, this is helping me get through. 

On the tube on the way home, I’m reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath conscious that maybe somebody (a guy, a girl, I’m not fussy) might see this, fall in love with me, walk up to me and kiss me suddenly, hard, before getting off at the next stop without having said a word.  This doesn’t happen in the five stops between work and home, so I give up and get off. 

Later at home, I spend the whole evening alone, watching the tenth series of Frasier which I just bought, reading Wikipedia articles on Anna Wintour, Diana Vreeland, the film Disaster Movie and The London Wasps… 

…log on to facebook, which prompts me to try “new facebook”, realize that I can’t deal with this right now as I’m simply not strong enough, go to bed. 

In bed, I won’t pretend that I don't fall asleep relatively easily, happy with the complexes that I have, complexes that make me a stronger unit. 

Oh yeah and here's the ebay link for the last London Preppy scrapbook:

ebay scrapbook

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate "new.facebook". I can't get shake that lost-in-the-supermarket dementia feeling every time I log on.
Scott

AlwaysReadySF said...

The "new facebook" is just like the old one. Only WIIDEEEEERRRRR.

MrM said...

Sylvia Plath is fucking ace.

bregalad said...

"... walk up to me and kiss me suddenly, hard, before getting off at the next stop without having said a word."

Well, if I ever meet you in real life, this is what I will do, I promise you. Just don't freak out, ok?

Maluminas said...

You sound even more dead inside than usual. Hopefully the excitement of a new continent will subdue the depression of leaving it all behind. Assuming LP is capable of "excitement".

Will you actually change the name of your blog to Sydney Preppy? SP doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely as LP...

michael01 said...

"...complexes that make me a stronger unit." In what sense did you mean "unit"? Over here, it denotes something specific (the male member)--which wouldn't be flattering. Or it might be flattering...in a strange way.

Phoenix said...

Who knows, maybe if you had stayed on the train a few more stops, someone might have ventured up to you. Or maybe seeing you were reading Plath they thought you were best left alone, hardly the most cheery reading material!

d said...

i too am well aware of the atrophy that occurs from the intern.....

London Preppy said...

Scott: I do too. NOBODY likes change

always: But why? WHY GOD WHY

mrm: She is. And call me crazy, but I like to think of A Girl as a modern day version

bregalad: I'll need a Plath quote beforehand please

London Preppy said...

maluminas: Definitely not changing the blog name. London is my town, the name remains wherever I am

michael: A unit as in a piece of machinery

phoenix: Nah, after a few more stops I would be outside Zone 1 and god knows what people read there

d: A-ha!

dickophile said...

i can honestly say that if i ever see you no matter what you are or aren't reading i will likely do a lot more than kiss you. the term sexual assault springs to mind.

London Preppy said...

dick: Please send a picture so I can forward to the police

neb said...

Hey LP,

Off topic - since you will be embarking your journey to another country (Australia). I will recommend you to read "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert.

I am not sure whether you will like it but i do. I see a resemeblance of you in this memoir.

Movie in the works, Julia Robert will be playing the role.

Thought i would share......

James said...

Aww you started reading it! I bought myself a copy at the same time. Also hoped someone would approach me to chat - all I got were approving looks from a birkenstock (faux leather) sandal wearing feminist. :-( enjoy the book again! X

Nathan said...

I was tricked into trying new FB by the statement "old facebook will be new facebook soon'. Now I can't go back. I also feel lost in the supermarket.

But new FB was not as horrifying as the initial photo I came accross prompting the thought "Oh my God GROSS why is ___ pashing a ginga"

London Preppy said...

nathan: Ha is blond! Blond like the rays of a million suns. Blond like endless fields of wheat, fields I want to get lost in, never to be found

michael01 said...

Wouldn't it be terrifying if he suddenly kissed back--hard, with tongue.

timbo said...

If you like Sylvia Plath, I don't recommend Eat, Pray, Love, Puke.

If you like Affluenza or The Secret, and who doesn't, you'll love it.

Anonymous said...

The Bell Jar is such a teenage girl cliche.

I had to put it down half way through. I don't think I'm depressive enough to read it.