Monday, 22 September 2008

Monday 22/09/08

On Friday at 1645 A Girl and I leave the office early and go to the pub where we’re having our joint leaving do / birthday, a decision which is based on two considerations: a) we need to get a good spot for everyone to stand and b) our boss is out of the office on a client meeting anyway.  Then we turn up at the pub and our boss is stood outside waiting of course, so after a brief explanation of what we’re doing there an hour early, we go in. 

Then people from the office start turning up, then people drink, then this guy from the office turns up with a long face and looking grumpy, then A Girl tells me that we should ask him to leave because she doesn’t want anyone bringing negativity to our party, then I tell her that perhaps we should go then, then people drink some more. 

Later in the pub, Scott and Donnell turn up – even though I appreciate it’s generally unacceptable to bring personal friends to work functions – and they don’t disappoint as: a) Donnell is wearing a skin tight top with a plunging neckline and his chest hanging out and b) Scott soon gets on the phone and starts ordering steroids.  Yes.  In the first opportunity I’ve had for my personal and professional lives to mix, this is how I come across to my colleagues.  Thanks. 

Around 2030 Scott, Donnell and I leave and go over to Trash Palace for Bryant’s birthday. 

Around 2230 the gin and tonics my boss was buying are putting me to sleep, so I go home. 

On Saturday it’s one of the greatest days I can remember in my life so far, because I don’t have to do anything.  Then the evening comes and I actually have to do something (i.e. go out briefly), but I decide to put on a brave face, put on a pair of grey ___ shorts, leather navy moccasins, white t-shirt with thin horizontal blue stripes from Lyle & Scott, take a copy of A Room Of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf with me because I reckon it goes with my outfit and head to Soho to meet Mean. 

Mean and I go to our usual Turkish place on Compton Street where we order the same thing we’ve ordered for the past two years, and when we’re done we head over to some coffee shop (Costa?  Nero?  I can’t be sure) to find Scott, Brendan, R, a friend of R’s who I don’t know, D and J.  

There, Brendan plays my book and asks me what’s happening so far, I tell him that they just didn’t let Virginia into a library because she was a woman and I think she’s about to go on a rant. 

Then Mean goes home, all those guys go to some bar and I take the tube and go over to Scott’s house to watch two episodes of Poirot back to back, therefore concluding the best Saturday ever.  Can I spend the rest of my living Saturdays like this please?  

Sofa + blanket – non-threatening dinner with good friend – quick catch up with friends – lonely tube journey with book – TV – bed.  Thank you. 

And a propos of nothing, here are three things that I’m going to miss now that I’m going to Sydney, and I can’t pretend that I’m not pissed off about it.  Sydney had better throw some equally exciting events my way while I’m there: 

1) Brendan’s birthday weekend away.  Brendan has hired a cottage in the countryside for a weekend in November and invited a few people to stay over.  I am going to miss that.  This cuts me up more than I care to admit.  I should be spending weekends in cottages in the countryside in the winter.  Especially when they look like this.

 

2) Britney Spears making her comeback on the X Factor in December.  Britney Spears will be performing her new single Womaniser in December on the X Factor.  This will be her first performance since she went crazy / became sane again.  I don’t care how lame this is, I want to see it.  Yes, I know I can catch it on youtube five minutes after it happens, but it’s not the same.

3) IAMX gig at the Astoria 2 on 6th December.  IAMX is the band of former Sneaker Pimps member Chris Corner.  Most people know the Sneaker Pimps as a one-hit wonder from 1996 with 6 Underground.  Remember that one?  Anyway, in fact, the Sneaker Pimps released three albums, one better than the other.  Their second album, Splinter, is actually my late night exam revision album from my last year at University, where I would stay up all night listening to that, studying and drinking cups of tea (I used to drink tea then).  Then Chris broke up the Sneaker Pimps and formed IAMX.  IAMX have released two albums which I also absolutely love.

So it’s a very big deal to me that I will miss their one and only gig in the UK this year, and I’m this far away from getting on a plane just to come back and see them (which I will certainly do if Menswe@r decide to reform, there is not question about that).

Anyway, here is a clip from an IAMX gig with IAMX playing one of my favourite songs, The Negative Sex.  Doesn’t this look pretty damn good?  Don’t answer that.  I don’t want to know.

 

And the less said about Christmas on a beach, the better.  At least I’ll be back next summer to go to Newquay and surf in the rain – the way it should be done.

16 comments:

Gav Dublin said...

I am very happy to see that I am not the only one who considers a good night out can be over and done with at 10.30pm as opposed to just starting out at that hour of the night!

The Neighbors Will Hear said...

Since you can't get Ms. Woolf's name right, perhaps you should check out the television version instead of trying to read the book. Eileen Atkins starred in it. I'm sure the video must be available somewhere.

Ms. Atkins also did the books-on-tape version, which you can probably download for your ipod.

fuzzy logic said...

You forgot the part where you:

1. Drank enough gin and skinny tonics that you were comatose by the time I pitched up (7pm)
2. Almost passed out at around 8pm, wondering if you should become an alocholic in order to get some sleep
3. Sent the following texts:
2136 - "Everyone's kung fu fighting, they're fast as lightning, something something something "
2322 - "I just got a Subway!"

London Preppy said...

gav: Those are the BEST nights out

neighbors: What did I write, WHAT did I write? *goes back to check* Oh my God. Victoria Woolf. Classic.

Oh well, as I said I was only carrying the book as a complement to my outfit

fyzzy: Those are minor details in the bigger picture dear fuzzy!

Gav Dublin said...

Preppy, after all your vilification of the demon drink can it be true that you were "mickey monk" on Friday night?

As an Irishman, let it be said, that I am proud of you! Indeed the whole island is proud of you. Your honorary citizenship is in the post. (Just in case they try feck you out of Australia)

deikse mou said...

Tell Brendan that I am available to take your place for the November weekend and that I look fantastic in bulky knit jumpers, tweed coats, and riding breeches. And even better out of them.

Maluminas said...

Im so sorry, i know its gonna hurt your cheeks, but you need a smile:

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/fail-owned-manhood-fail.jpg

And i want a pic of Donnell in that outfit plz.

Trans Fat said...

Honestly, you're out of there... so why be bothered about..

" a) Donnell is wearing a skin tight top with a plunging neckline and his chest hanging out and b) Scott soon gets on the phone and starts ordering steroids. Yes."

Fuck your hetero employers. Not everybody lives life as they do...

Actually, this post makes me more of a fan of Scott. Who cares what others think.

Scott earned huge points in my book...when he pissed in the sink and he brought his own tupperware lunch... to lunch...

Anyway, peace out. Enjoy your new adventure...

London Preppy said...

deikse: Deal, I'll ask Brendan to add you to the mailing list. Start packing

maluminas: Very good

trans: Well, I'm not bothered really. Just sumfin to write innit

Anonymous said...

Have you been to the dentist for a check up before you go? It would be crap to arrive and find you need a filling and not know where to start. I know they have dentists in Australia, but I'm sure you'll have enough on your plate without having to locate one.
xSpecky

Stu said...

I think we can manage to throw a few exciting events here in Sydney, just for your benefit!

Quigley Cox said...

Victoria Wood/Virginia Woolf: easy mistake to make.

London Preppy said...

anon: I have actually, thanks

stu: Would you please?

jhkirkendall said...

Scott uses steroids? That rock-hard physique isn't all natural?

Wow.

--Joe in L.A.

London Preppy said...

joe: No. No, I guess it's not

Teya said...

hehe thanks for linking the vid :)
x