Wednesday, 13 August 2008

Thursday 14/08/08

On Tuesday lunchtime, it’s a lunchtime when I decide to steal the look of another straight guy from the gym.  And this is a guy who has a great straight pointy noise, nice blue eyes and normal straight boy effortless hair.  He doesn’t have an amazing gym fit body, but I don’t care about things like that.  I love him.  And this boy also wears rugby shorts, with mismatched rugby socks and – the piece de resistance – lycra legging-type shorts under his regular rugby shorts.  Instead of underwear.  I can’t find a picture of an example right now, but I’m sure you know what I mean. 

So on Tuesday lunchtime I go out to buy lycra shorts (I have everything else).  Sports World on Oxford Street is great for things like that because it’s cheap and horrible and it stocks every ridiculous straight guy sporting piece of apparel you ever dreamt of. 

I get two pairs, in grey and white. 

I wear the grey pair with white rugby shorts in the gym on Wednesday. 

And this is an outfit that looks like this (I didn’t have anyone to take my picture in the gym so I asked Scott to do it at home later).



I’m thinking now that people who see me in the gym and read the blog must find it ridiculous that I turn up in outfits that I have explained the motivation behind on here.  It’s very interactive, isn’t it? 

But anyway, maybe these guys in the gym who read my blog (if there are any) should come up to me and say “hey I read your blog” instead of pretending they don’t know me. 

Another thing that happens on Wednesday is that a girl from work – let’s call her D – decides to email people around the office and break the news that I’m leaving. 

Then she forwards their responses to me.

Then I have to guess who said what.

Which is obviously a good game. 

And some of the responses are: 

Response 1 

“Oooh look at you with your juicy gossip!!!! Really?! How did you find that one out?! And do you know when he’s going? Oh, he handed in his notice pretty early then?! Did Pam tell you?

He definitely makes [our industry] less mundane! Do you know what he’s going to do next?” 

Response 2 

“Oh no – when??

I like London Preppy.  Did he just hand in his notice this week? Is it still a secret?

It’s getting rubbish all the fun people are going.” 

Response 3 

“London Preppy – didn’t know! OMG its like an exodus in the ___ team! Where is he going to...? Who else is going? What do you know?!” 

Response 4 

“I heard that already.  They’re dropping like flies at the moment” 

Response 5 

“No I didn’t know, not massively surprising though. You can generally tell the people that are enjoying themselves at ___ and those who aren’t. Everyone is dropping like flies at the moment hey?” 

(and a personal favourite) Response 6 

“What?!?!?!?  So I am going to guess it won’t be long before A Girl does the off too??  Is there something I should know??” 

Then I forward the last one to A Girl so we can speculate together who said it and this is the conversation that goes like this: 

A Girl: Wonder who said that one? 

Me: Somebody who has infiltrated our tough, careless exterior and sees us as a team.  Somebody who we can fool no longer.  Somebody with a brain for private investigation and a body for sin. 

Goodbye

37 comments:

MrM said...

In the first picture, with the outfit and especially with the pose, you look exactly like the straight Greek boy you are at heart.
And indeed, this is all very, possibly even very, very, interactive.

blueyedboy said...

Liking the straight boy rugby look... ;)

Steven said...

Maybe the guys in the gym who read your blog don't recognize you because you don't have a red stripe over your eyes in real life.

Gert said...

Nice outfit. You would make a good straight bloke. *grin*

There you have it: the difference between the stereotypical gay man look and straight man look: the first aims for glossy glamour and style. Whatever the second aims for, he ends up looking far more poetic.

Cockbag LLC said...

I used to copy other guys clothing styles in high school. Now that I am in my (very) late 20's I have moved beyond that.

Frontier Psychiatrist said...

Somebody with a brain for private investigation and a body for sin.

This makes me laugh and is how I'm going to start describing myself.

AlwaysReadySF said...

Yes, I have seen the look at my gym too but it's usually slightly longer lycra-type pants under slightly-longer basketball-type shorts. I guess it's the US-version of that.

Do straight guys have special websites that instruct them how to put these outfit together? I find it intriguing that there are such strong similarities from over 6000 miles.

...and it seems that in spite of your efforts not to care about them, a bunch of the people at work are sorry to see you go? Breaking down your tough-guy image?

[insert smiley]

Gav Dublin said...

Hey Prep,

Just watched Yang Wei winning gold in the gymnastics. Have a look when you get home!! Amazing!

salman said...

Well, after months of reading your blog i decided it was time to leave a comment.
Love your weird sense of humor. It's now one of the highlights of my mornings with my coffee and cake :)

London Preppy said...

mrm: Thank you. What a nice thing to say!

blue: Cheers

steven: Oh they do...

gert: I love your second paragraph. I would steal it but I can't carry it off

cockbag: That's funny. I thought people were open to influences and stimuli until the day that they died whether it's appearances or behaviour etc. If you don't do that, my assumptions are:

a) Either you still wear the clothes you wore in high school

b) You have lived in a cave since then completely shunning external factors and have made your own clothes from visions you occasionally get (in which case please send a picture)

London Preppy said...

frontier: It was ingenious (well not really but thanks)

always: The straight guys must get their tips somewhere. The odd socks things still baffles me. It's done by all straight boys who play football or rugby. If they don't care about appearances so much, why do they got out of theuir way to do such a strong look?

gav: I will

salman: Cheers!

AlwaysReadySF said...

That's what I am saying! The I-don't-care-how-I-look look is carried off with a little too nonchalance at times to be real....

Another trend I noticed lately with some of the straight guys in my gym is the wearing of a skin-tight tank top underneath a larger baggier but still fairly revealing one.

I think the idea is to show off body definition without risking of being confused with the gay crown.

It just seems like a lot of work....

AlwaysReadySF said...

crown = crowd

...and I am not even drinking....

Oldyeller said...

In my experience, most straight boys care very much about their appearance, but the look they go for is a studied indifference to style which of course results in a very stylish look (at least from most gays' point of view). We don't have the odd socks thing here in the U.S. because rugby and soccer aren't that popular-short ankle socks are the norm.

I think part of your blog appeal is your overall straight boy look.

Maluminas said...

Well the people at your -soon to be former- job are putting on a nice face for you. Beware. Carry Scott's dagger with you. *paranoid glances and jerks*

Cockbag LLC said...

I graduated high school 11 years ago and to my knowledge I have no clothes left from that time period. As far as my current style I just find clothes (or in most cases shoes) in the store I like and buy them-not nearly as exciting as some of the outfits you put together.

London Preppy said...

always: Well I guess we know what I'll be trying next...

oldy: Thanks so much for the last sentence [insert two smileys]

maluminas: What do they really mean maluminas? What???

cockbag: Damn it, I guess my cave theory was wrong

Gav Dublin said...

Surely your rugby "look" would be completed by an Irish rugby top! Being originally Greek, perhaps your UK Citizen sensibilities would not be too offended!

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/empics/20070930/21/3442127413-rugby-union-irb-rugby-world-cup-2007-pool-d-ireland.jpg

The link is a pic of Paul O'Connell, red headed, red blooded Munster legend!! (thought you might appreciate the red-head)

Gav Dublin said...

Oh.this one is better..do you see the width of the guys lats??

http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2007-w39/img.05016_t.jpg

London Preppy said...

gav: Cheers. What a lovely boy

Gav Dublin said...

Aham, he is not a boy, he is a MAN!!

Insert triple smiley!

AlwaysReadySF said...

Just don't try both looks at the same time...

that would definitely be "too much look"

[insert smiley]

Luke_Sydney said...

Something about the messed up electrical cords at the bottom of your pic... made me smile.

Stephen said...

Have you tried Beard Papa? Apparently they are better than Krispy Kreme: http://www.beardpapa.co.uk/

The link of that wrestler someone posted in Moday's comments was censored, but I did a bit of sniffing around and came up with this: http://undiesnow.com/blog/2008/07/02/nash-at-fratmentv/

Swoon.

bosteaparty said...

I just found your blog, Preppy! I'm addicted! Keep up the writing!!

dickophile said...

haha. so i guess the people at your office actually like you. i guess you've successfully fooled them into thinking you're "normal". congrats.

seahorse said...

pic 1) ballet training.
pic 2) rugby training for sure!

udderwise, always good.

JamesR said...

I came across your blog and am enjoying it immensely (after having done the required reading). While I like the straight boy rugby look on you, London Preppy, I think you should wear less clothing, not more!
I'm just sayin'...

Mike said...

the non-matching socks thing just occurs naturally when the dryer eats one of the matching pairs. who cares if they don't match. they're only socks. and why toss good socks, right?

flygye12 said...

i'm blogrolling u cause you are CUTE !!!

cheers :D

Luke said...

Where did you steal "a brain for private investigation and a body for sin" from?

Great phrase.

London Preppy said...

luke: I did not steal that one. It's all mine!

Graham said...

LP,

The ruggers at my gym, in addition to the odd socks, wear one sock pulled up and one just left sagging around their ankle. It's done randomly too. They don't all have the left sock pulled up.

You pulled off the straight rugger look to a T though.

Mr T said...

Oh I fucking love this. I unfortunately have the same grey t-shirt/shorts combination with another guy at the gym. However, he is very thin, and I am not. I found it fun at first but then he always seems to follow me around the place doing the same things as me. And do you know where that is? Fucking Fitness First Kingly Street. That's where. Hate the place. I need to leave, but its too convenient.

Oldyeller said...

Speaking of lovely boy, how bout Eamon Sullivan of Australia who's swimming the 50m free today. Kind of a twinky body but great face.
http://the17thman.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/07/eamon-sullivan-hot-and-newly-single.html

Ja said...

brains for private investigation... is brilliant. Possibly THE book subtitle? What's better though is your pride heavy first-day-of-school-picture stance. You're just missing the backpack.

Anonymous said...

You are carrying out an admirable job. Make sure you continue to keep publishing. Many thanks