Sunday, 10 August 2008

Sunday 10/08/08

On Tuesday we get up and go downstairs to have breakfast and this is the last time we go downstairs to have breakfast, because a bowl of cereal and some tea are not really worth the incessant chat that they come with by the oversized, overly chatty landlady.  On this Tuesday morning I make the decision that I’d rather starve to death if I were given the choice. 

Then I bleach my hair a bit more turning it a nice shade of orange and then we head out to go to the beach.  As we’re leaving the room I remind Scott the deal that we have – he always has to walk places first so that I can hide behind him and if anyone decides to talk to us, they will have to talk to him first / only.  This works great in Newquay, not only with the landlady, but also with the surf shop people where we hire our boards: they’re also fond of the banter. 

(Please note this formation if you ever see Scott and me out and about, in a club, on the street and we’re heading somewhere – he always walks ahead of me – like an opening act) 

After the surfing it’s suddenly dinner time and after the dinner time it’s suddenly the evening.  This evening we decide to skip Big Brother and we go out to “the bars” earlier than usual. 

Everyone is out and about again getting smashed so we spend the following two or three hours watching the carnage, which includes a number of straight boys dancing around this pole in (what turns out to be our favourite bar) The Central. 

If I were a straight lad (which I should be really, I don’t know where it all went wrong) I would want to be one of those pole dancing on that Tuesday evening in Newquay, in a circle of pissed friends cheering them on waiting for their turn to have a go, as part of a drinking game?  Male bravado?  Something like that anyway.



Other things that happen in Newquay over that next three days: 

-       We surf more 

-       We go out and play with the straight people more 

-       I buy a huge bag from my move to Sydney from Blue Rush / two pairs of moccasins (one leather, one suede) that look like they should be worn by at least an 80-year-old and I love / a hoodie with Newquay embroidered at the front and my middle name that I’ll be using in Sydney as a first name embroidered at the back 

-       I buy some hair dye which is supposed to turn my orange hair into my natural colour (L’Oreal Excellence Natural Light Brown No.6) and dye my hair again 

-       I ask Scott whilst surfing whether my hair looks like natural light brown and Scott replies, no it looks dyed like fuck brown 

-       I decide to get rid of that and dye my hair black, the most ridiculous intense black I can find, so I buy Schwarzkopf Live Deep Black no.99 

And this is what colour my hair is right now.  I’m not sure if looking like Madonna in the Rain video with short black hair, blue eyes and pale skin is a good thing or not (I will go with “not” just as a gut instinct), but I guess I’m stuck with this for the moment.

Then on Friday we drive back to London.  Am I the only person who wishes he could live in motorway service stations?  Maybe.  Maybe not. 

And that was the end of Newquay.

32 comments:

Gav Dublin said...

Have you an interest in knowing readers view's on your present hair color?

You should put a competition in the side bar asking readers as to what color you should die your hair. Don't give us free range or somebody will suggest something stupid!

London Preppy said...

gav: I have as much interest in knowing readers' views on my present hair colour, as I have for any other decision I make ;-)

Anonymous said...

HAH! you look like Brian Molko

deikse mou said...

I quite like your Madonna Rain tribute and hope that you'll complete the look by shaving off your eyebrows and painting new ones on half way up your forehead.

Gav Dublin said...

HAHA

Very good and quite right too!

prepster said...

I'd hate to break it to you, cause you're fucking amazing, but you look like you have stick thin arms in that last photo- which I guess makes me feel more accomplished.

London Preppy said...

anon: HAH! Good one

deikse mou: Done and done!

prep: I do have stick thin arms. The "muscles" in other pictures are as real as the tattoos. But I was concentrating on photoshopping the "black hair" in this picture and forgot to inflate the arms

seahorse said...

lmao on last chirp!

Will said...

Hey LP,

What's up?

Curiously - where did u get the g-star Raw yellow t-shirt from?

Thanks,
Will:)

Anonymous said...

Time for you to go for the zero crop, hard man, innit.

dickophile said...

i cant tell if the hair is fake or not but if it is you should consider dying it for real since it makes you look paler.

Maluminas said...

Black doesn't look nice, and its dangerous, next time you put on your skinny jeans you might feel compelled to grow your hair hand hide half of your face with bangs dyed red, purple and black in alternative stripes, and then become anorexic.

And instead of your usual "there is nothing to understand" discourse you would start saying "no one understands me" and tattoo a dotted line on your wrist with a "cut here" caption.

Then you will start wearing mascara and eye shadow and maybe even lip gloss. And whenever you will take a photo of yourself you will make sure that you never look into the camera, and that your mascara is a little bit smudged because you cry alot.

Oh and lets not forget the dark purple nail polish.

I dont want that to happen to my favorite blogger, so go to the hair salon now and ask a professional to restore your hair to its natural color, bring photos. You might still save yourself!

Maluminas said...

DISCLAIMER: I do not wish to offend anyone that might come close to my exaggerated description, know someone that comes close or believe that i was making fun of such persons. It was a joke.

So ya... i was making fun... but whatever...

I reserve the right to make fun.

London Preppy said...

will: Well...from the G-Star shop

anon: Nah, I'd rather look like a goth than have a zero crop

dick: Thanks for finding a silver lining in this horrible (dark) cloud

maluminas: "I wear black on the outside because black is how I feel on the inside"?

Red Exile / Красная Ссылка said...

I swear I am not so random on purpose...

Re: motorway service stations...

...in Ukraine.

The best are branded WOG (sad, but true), and they are like the fantasy eaterie of your favourite airport.

The foodie bit is cleaner - much - than a UK hospital and every meal is cooked, bespoke, to order...oddly, they have *really* good fish...

I must confess, on an UKR trip to the regions, I ordered driver to the nearest WOG service station thinking (correctly surmise I) it was the best meal to be had in Rivne: (http://ukrainetrek.com/Rivne_city.shtml)

AlwaysReadySF said...

"...he always walks ahead of me – like an opening act"

I can't believe no one commented on that yet. Best. Line. Ever.


It's hard to say how the hair looks like without seeing your eyes. I do think that pale, blue eyes and very dark hair looks good in general but - again - I'd have to see the whole thing...

...and like you said, I am sure you are really concerned with my opinion ;)

d said...

i know you think you can play tricks on us but i found you out, my friend...

red

blonde

brown

purple


youll have to learn how to hide your tracks better.

is there anything real about you?

Jeff said...

I know you don't like movies very much, but the trailer for "The Informers" just came out. Here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xfx9ohZxvw

Watch it before it's taken down

L.A. Fireman said...

I can't quite make out what is in that first picture....

London Preppy said...

d: Seeing that I'm thinking I missed a trick by not going for the the purple...

jeff: Thanks! Of course I'll have to watch this even if I know I'll dislike it. Well, on the positive side the trailer is starting with Blue Monday

la: A pole on the left, a guy about to jump on it on the right

Anonymous said...

Scott's a bear!

Stephen said...

I actually quite like the black. It makes you look even younger.

george said...

have you posted a blonde pic? did i miss it? black is so not your colour. you must have very strong hair. you have been bleaching and dying with very little rest time inbetween? is your rubbery by now and breaking off?.....george

Dude said...

seriously, you need to work on those arms and forearms. or post pics from better angles to trick viewers. good luck!!

Ben said...

I'm wondering which service station/s you visited. Leigh Delamere is my local. I'd like to pretend that I go there just for the hell of it sometimes, but I've actually only done that once.

You're more likely to have stopped around Taunton or Exeter on the way down I guess, though perhaps Leigh Delamere came into the equation on the way home.

I agree that they're great places, by the way. We should meet at Reading for a game of chess and an ice cream every so often.

michael01 said...

I think black hair always increases one's pallor. Who will walk in front of you in Sydney, BTW? Aussies are known to be friendly and chatty.

Dave said...

Black hair, pale skin, blue eyes ... you're trying to become Superman, eh?

Not sure nihilism and superman are a good fit. Perhaps you'd make a more interesting version of Clark Kent, tho.

Graham said...

LP,

I like the black hair. Black hair, pale skin and pale eyes is a winning combination and a definite sign of good breeding.
I'd like to have seen blondie preppy though.

Jim said...

I think that jet black color gives off an air of Elvis.

Alex said...

You look really cute with your new do, you must have got your gay groove back since the Kanye-glasses disaster.

London Preppy said...

george: I never posted a blonde picture. It wasn't blonde anyway, mostly orange I'd say

ben: I'm not sure about names either. The meetings you describe sound heavenly

michael: I don't know. I guess we need volunteers

dave: I will never be as perfect as Superman. But yes, Clark Kent will have to do I guess

graham: Yes, it's a very Welsh combination, isn't it? I can pretend my family keeps a country house in Wales

george said...

please post a orange hair pic? you give me hours of enjoyment......george