Saturday, 9 August 2008

Saturday 09/08/08

And this is my week off in Newquay. 

On Monday morning we get up and go over to this place in West London where I’m told you can hire a car and then we hire a car, a car that is silver.  I don’t know any more details apart from it also has a CD player, which I’ve put together three CDs for. 

Two of the CDs include songs that I like and I think other people should also like (i.e. they are educational) and the third CD is a bonus one, which includes songs I can personally take or leave (mostly leave really) but Scott likes.  And on Monday it is Scott’s birthday after all. 

Two and a half songs later we abandon my CDs (“too miserable”) and we spend the rest of the drive flicking between the Birthday CD and West Country regional BBC radio stations: BBC Devon?  BBC Cornwall?  BBC County Durham?  I’m not really listening. 

A short five hours later we’re in Newquay, which is absolutely packed because the Rip Curl Boardmaster 2008 event is on, which is (and I’m quoting from their website – I’m clueless otherwise) Europe’s largest surf, skate and music festival.  I don’t know anything about surfing of course, I’m not interested in skating and I don’t like the bands that are playing (Groove Armada, Pigeon Detectives, Zutons, Futureheads), but this is the week that I have to be there, no other week will do. 

Anyway, we get to the same B&B that we stayed last time, get talked at for fifteen minutes by the oversized overly chatty landlady who is under the false impression that we are people who are friendly, go up to our room and change into wetsuits, head to the beach where it’s obviously raining, but I don’t really mind. 

Then we go back to the hotel where we try to find out what’s on TV in order to arrange our schedule around that, go back out to the supermarket to buy a bottle of vodka and some ginger beer, I get asked for ID by the checkout woman (“you have a young face, do you have any ID”), we go back to our room, I put some bleach in my hair which turns it light brown, we watch Big Brother, Scott drinks a third of the bottle of vodka, I drink nothing, we hit the bars… 

…where hundreds of straight boys and girls from every corner of England aged 16 to 34 are painting the town red in various states of undress / sluttiness / surfiness / being drunk (even though I’m willing to give average scores of 8 out of 10 / 7 out of 10 / 9 out of 10 / 10 out of 10 respectively), as we go from bar to bar and watch them. 

Then we go back, watch some more TV and sleep.

In other news:

a) For the people who've asked about the London Preppy "scrapbook" where I'll print out some posts, bind them, personalise them and send them out - I'm in the process of putting together my favourite posts, this is still happening.  I'll be done soon and give more info then.  I'm only making three of these by the way

b) The Olympics have started and I'm not even going to pretend I'm not obsessed with them, so yes I guess I am.  Also I'm very impressed by the fact that the first athlete who was found doped up and was sent home is Greek (loving those Greeks).  Anyway, my question is: I'm following them on the BBC website and on the official Olympics website, but (if anyone Greek is reading this) can you recommend a website that focuses on the Greek athletes' performance/results?  Cheers

14 comments:

Trybaby said...

I'm so curious to see your hair. Did you just use bleach straight up? Like bleach meant for clothes or bleach meant for hair? I hear that for some people it burns their scalp.

Don't worry I'm obsessed with the olympics too! I like swimming, diving, water polo, and gymnastics the best.

Tim in Italy said...

I thought something was missing from the haze that is my life. Well, welcome back anyway.

A straight boy obsession makes sense. You needed just a bit more torture in your daily routine to keep things interesting.

I know, pot - kettle - black. Just ignore me, please.

London Preppy said...

trybaby: Of course I used hair bleach. I didn't wash my hair with Toilet Duck. This is not what my hair is like at the moment though - there are two more colourings during the week...

tim: I can't say that a break wasn't nice...

And yes, I thought I better torture myself a bit more and give up completely on gay men and start pursuing the straights exclusively

seahorse said...

lol love the toilet duck bit..
other than that try this site for greek tv/sports etc..and take it from there..hope it helps!

http://livesportschannels.blogspot.com/2008/07/greek-tv-sports-stream-live-sports.html

Maluminas said...

I'm trying to catch the gymnastics. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that these guys actually have a negative body fat %! But I like to watch any sport where I can see guys. Except cycling, they have huge legs and scrawny upper bodies, which is even worse than the reverse IMO.

dickophile said...

so when do we get to see your hair? cause at the moment that is all i can think about. sad i know.

deikse mou said...

Are you licensed and can you drive a car, or were you just the map reader and knob twiddler?

London Preppy said...

thanks seahorse

maluminas: I don't know. I find that cycling thing strangely sexy

dick: We'll take the hair story one step at a time I guess. And end up with what I have now. Once I get used to it too

deikse: I do have a license but I didn't drive at all. Not sure why

Maluminas said...

I bet you shaved your head! I think it could actually suit you quite well.

d said...

you should certainly post the tracks for the mix you made for your trip. i love making road trip mixes... and always welcome new mixes... eventhough it does depend on where your going and who your with, what songs will make the cut.

d said...

also love love love the sebsatian teller (sp) song... is there a way to get you to post that mp3 so i (we) can download?

London Preppy said...

maluminas: No, I haven't done that (yet) but I might have to...

d: OK, I'll post a list. As for the Tellier song, I don't know how to upload a file or whether it's legal to do so?

AlwaysReadySF said...

So how did the surfing go, though?

As much as you don't like to admit that you are excited about anything you clearly must be since you took another week off just to do this, eh?

I am curiously horrified by what the hair must look like with a do-it-at-home bleach kit.

Photos, please.

London Preppy said...

always: The surfing went OK. I didn't take any more lessons, but I suppose I should have