Thursday, 12 June 2008

Thursday 11/06/08

On Wednesday for some reason I’m requested to be at work – as if I haven’t got anything better to do – and then at lunchtime I’m released for a while, on the condition that I’ll be back at my desk punching that keyboard in exactly one hour.  And during this hour I walk around pretending that I’m a free spirit and in control of my own destiny, even though I painfully know by now that I’m a puppet, maybe a pawn even, in a game of chess that nobody knows how to play. 

And what I choose to do with myself as I improvise my so-called life during this hour, is go in Borders and read the latest copy of the NME.  The NME tells me that the band Ash are playing their album 1977 in an one-off concert at the Astoria in September, so when I go back in the office I email Enid and we book tickets to go.  Surrounded by other former indie fans now in their late 20s / early 30s, we’ll be there and we’ll try to relive our youth, trying to ignore the knowledge of the broken dreams and shattered expectations that we’ve now grown so close to.  Back in 1996, it was never meant to end this way. 

Later that afternoon, A Girl sends me the lyrics to ___ by Elton John, a song that I’m not familiar with (even though I find out is really famous), but reminds me of a person that I obsess with at the moment and would like to drug, tie up, rape, kill myself in front of, and haunt for the rest of his life.  As I haven’t heard this song before, but the lyrics tell me that I should, I spend a big part of the afternoon trying to imagine what the music might sound like.  As I fail, I decide to read it as prose, which quite frankly works much better for me. 

After the gym, I download this song, and by Thursday morning it has become my ninth most played song of 2008. 

On Wednesday evening I set out my outfit for next day’s work (grey suit trousers from Zara, black leather shoes from unknown brand, white fitted shirt from the Gap, skinny black tie from Topman) and watch the Apprentice.  The guy who I identified as the best looking candidate 12 weeks ago - here and here -  when the series started (and therefore a major candidate for being treated favourably by the rest of the human race – the entire world to be honest), wins.  I take that as a personal insult, a confirmation that this planet has not punished me enough yet, and I go to bed. 

On Thursday lunchtime, I head for the tattoo place with A Girl to make an appointment.  On the way there I’m feeling quite stressed, I’m embarrassed of turning up again and asking for more.  Like a junkie going back for another methadone shot, fearful that they will turn me away (they know an addict when they come across one – they’ve seen this happen before: “and how many tattoos have you had in the last six months?”, “I’m afraid I can’t help you anymore.  You’re going to have to leave”, etc) I go in. 

I discuss what I want with the guy, he quotes me £130, A Girl comments that it’s not that much, the guy says “well, he’s a regular”, I can hear Mummy’s heart break into even smaller pieces at the thought of her only son being referred to as “a regular” at his local tattoo place (she’s unaware of this of course, but they know, they always do), I make an appointment, I leave.

24 comments:

Cockbag LLC said...

You only have 2 tattoos currently, right? Not addicting just yet. I went threw my piercing phase (7 all together)...at least those aren't permanent and didn't break my mom's hear too much.

Can't wait to see what you get.

Tim in Italy said...

Golly, LP, if you're worried about a couple tattoos, what's gonna happen when dear, sweet mum finds out about ____ and _____!!?

London Preppy said...

cockbag: Seven eh? You've still got all of them in? I pierced my ear once. That was it

tim: Early grave! For everyone involved. Not that I know what you mean with ___ and ___ of course

Dan said...

I have to agree with Cockbag - 2 isn't quite an addict.
I've got 7 tattoos now - every 2 years like clockwork this little alarm goes off in my head and I just NEED to get one.
But I can see where you're headed.

London Preppy said...

dan: Yes. The wrong way

Nix said...

Tiny Dancer?
Candle in the Wind?
Don't Go Breaking My Heart?
Crocodile Rock?
Your Song?
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road?
The Bitch Is Back?

It's so unfair that you don't tell us the song name.

PS At least one of my suggestions is a joke.

Nix said...

PS I hope it's not Crocodile Rock.

London Preppy said...

nix: I'll tell you when I see you

Why have I only heard two of the songs on your list? I must have missed Elton John's career. Oh well

Cockbag LLC said...

Well since you asked at one time or another I had 2 in my left lobe, left ear cartilage, 1 in my right lobe, tongue, and both nipples. Now I "just" my left nipple is pierced but I am thinking about getting something else pierced

Nix said...

You're a song-tease! But I can live with the suspense, just...

Anonymous said...

As long as you stop short of the full Maori face treatment, it'll be OK.

At one of my previous jobs, we used to get people in whose tattoo/piercing hobby had got away from them, resulting in an overly busy skin and limited dating prospects.

London Preppy said...

anon: Eek. I'll stay well clear of that

Totango said...

I would guess the song is "Daniel". It is the most obsessive song about uncatchable love.

Russell said...

I thought that Alex was the best looking one. Lee was big, burly and sexy but he seemed a little dim. Obviously, he's not and very good at what he does: he won the damn show.

dickophile said...

please don't turn into one of those guys with sleeves. please. you're so pretty and if you keep this up you're gonna ruin it.

Natalie said...

Tatoos-

What about my personal favourite Smiths song?
its not like any other love
this one is different because its ours

AlwaysReadySF said...

I agree with everyone others' comments...two tattoos (or tattoo's - as one of your other reads so eloquently put it) are not really an addiction but I think that's where it all begins. With the third. :)
I have to say I have been tempted to go with numero 3 myself but I figured that I should resist temptation. At least with SOMETHING in life. :-)

...and I can't believe you have never heard those Elton's songs before!

Trybaby said...

Did you ever think to get your family crest tattooed on your self, seeing as you actually have one and looks pretty? I'm thinking on your shoulder? or maybe middle of your back? A calf perhaps?

Anonymous said...

in 2 years time, you are going to look like sporty spice :(

London Preppy said...

dickophile: Definitely not. I look at David Backham's arms and I want to be sick

natalie: ___ has vetoed that one as well

always: That's not a bad attitude to have: resist the temptation of tattoos. Maybe I will after the third one

trybaby: Nah, that's too imposing

anon: Hopefully not. All the tattoos are not that visible. You'll see when I've had this one done too

Maluminas said...

Oh, Oh! You should tattoo alternating numbers of the Fibonacci sequence! Its the so called equation of life, because nearly everything in nature follows it one way or another. Not nearly as heart breaking as cheezy lyrics, but much more meaningful in my opinion :P The first few numbers go like this (start with 0,1,1 and each next number is given by adding the two previous ones):

0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55, etc...

Anonymous said...

As much as I love your writing, I don't believe for a second that 20% of your readership is straight men who you don't know.

PS: You're at least as good looking as the winner of the Apprentice, if not more. Therefore you have all the attendant opportunities reserved for the beautiful and you really should be happy.

Although you're more interesting melancholic, so please remain this way. But just remember that your melancholy actually rubs salt in the wounds of those of us not blessed with body, face and brain like you.

London Preppy said...

anon: I tend to agree about the straight guys. See my next post

Jay said...

So now that i know the hot guy wins, should i keep on watching....? Of course! To see hot guy, lol