Thursday, 5 June 2008

Thursday 05/06/08

On Wednesday maybe I get up and go to work, maybe I don't, I don't remember, I don't want to, and then I skip the gym and go over to Scott's house where I have dinner and then I go back into town where I meet A Girl.

And A Girl and I go to a gig. This gig is by Hercules & Love Affair and it's in Soho and the tickets were sent to me by a reader who was extremely kind, so I'd like to thank him again. Thank you.

Which also reminds me any other concert/event tickets are greatly appreciated, plus you can easily send me tickets for something, track me down and kill me, but please don’t do that because then I won’t be able to write about it.

At the concert the following things happen:

- A Girl drinks a few alcoholic beverages (two? fifteen? something like that) and I drink two bottles of water (going all out)

- The venue is tiny and if we were that way inclined we could be right at the front and within range of the bodily heat exuded by members of Hercules & Love Affair. Instead, we're stood at the back of the dancefloor, which is still close enough to see their fillings

- The gig is very good

- There are outfit changes

- Nobody hot is there (that I see) apart from the transsexual main singer. Oh and the ginger guy at the back

- Here’s a picture



Then the gig finishes and following this event I go home.

On Thursday I go to work but that main thing that happens on Thursday is that I have the best lunch break ever. The events that contribute to the best lunch break ever can be summed up as follows.

- I am listening to Chromeo’s album Fancy Footwork, which would be in my top 5 albums of 2007 if I hadn’t just discovered it last month (as recommended by the writer of this blog here - which is ace for music recommendations amongst other things).

- I have £20 in my wallet (two notes of £10) and I know I have to get rid of it. I never ever carry cash around with me – I pay for everything on a card – and if I do it disturbs me. I don’t know how I ended up having this (somebody owed me money? I stole it from somewhere?) but it has to go.

- I go in Urban Outfitters and I buy another pair of white plimsolls. These cost £10. You can never have enough white plimsolls; well I’m sure you can have enough in five weeks’ time when everyone is sick of them and completely ashamed of walking around in them, but right now every second person in London is wearing them and I never claimed to be anything more than cattle.

- I go in H&M and I see that they are selling knee-length denim shorts (originally £19.99) for £10 for one day only. I expect them to not have my size, but the last pair on the rack is a 30 waist. I buy those. (The cashier actually charges me £19.99 and when I point out the sign that says £10 he doesn’t smile/apologise/acknowledge me, he just changes the price and ignores me, but I don’t let that take away from the good time I’m having. Thank you, Joseph, at H&M Convent Garden anyway)

- I go in Carluccio’s where I stare at a chocolate fudge cake for about six minutes and then I go and buy the NME and then I go back to the office

- I have a conversation with ___ on the phone, whereby we plan to get complementary Suede tattoos, with a lyric from Stay Together, a lyric that goes “and we can feel a little closer as we tumble through the sky” (split in two)

For the second time in less than a month, I’m sorry but I’m happy.

44 comments:

mr man said...

I think I've solved the double mystery of romance details non-disclosure & Suede tattoo willingness:

you're seeing brett anderson

Anonymous said...

How and where do you store all your shoes, Imelda?

ANDRE said...

I'm glad that my music tips slightly contributed in making your lunch so happy..

But isn't that place called Carluccio's? I didn't feel like correcting you but it's a (faux) Italian name so I had to do it for the sake of my pasta-eating country. Sorry.

Steven said...

Knee-length denim shorts?

That sentence is wrong in so many ways.

michael01 said...

Body heat is not "exhumed." To exhume is to dig up a dead body that has already been buried. Definitely no heat there.

Danny Edwards said...

Hercules and Love Affair was a fantastic gig. Just the right amount of people, just the right length. And a cover of Dont Fear the Reaper. And no hot people? Pssshhhaaawwww.

blueyedboy said...

If you haven't already done so then you need to check out the MSTRKRFT remix of Chromeo's Tenderoni - it's awesome.

Anonymous said...

Opera? I figure Salome is more your thing, but...

Anonymous said...

carluzzios chocolate fudge cake!....i had a slice for the first time last week week.. its the best choc cake ive ever had, im planning a dinner party just so i can buy a whole cake and wow my guests

AlwaysReadySF said...

Happy?!! Again?!!!
Fuck....what did we say about "Happy"?
You are never going to able to write anything worth reading anymore, are ya.
Do we need to send more drama and suffering your way? A natural disaster?
I simply refuse to go back to reading Camus or Schopenhauer at this point in my life...

Anonymous said...

brick lane, or cheshire street to be precise, sell those plimsolls for a fiver.
if you were my boyfriend and we had matching tattoos and you gym trained me, id take you to see annie next week.

Alex said...

New clothes have the tendency to make me really happy too. :)

And what if we just rape-not kill you-- seeing as how you were provided with FREE concert tickets?

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Graham said...

LP,
Perhaps you should name and shame all the rude and obnoxious staff that you come across in London.
I hate when sales staff are rude!

Graham said...

Oh and I'm jealous you got to go to see Hercules and I agree, I've been listening to Chromeo since someone recommended them here to you. Excellent!

aurix said...

good to hear you're happy :-)

dickophile said...

i have to ask. what are plimsolls? i swear i dont think i have ever heard this word in my entire life until i read your blog. please enlighten me.

London Preppy said...

mr: Ha ha, very good. But can you imagine Brett getting a tattoo of his own lyrics?!

anon: They're thrown in a cupboard. Nothing fancy. Maybe I'll count them one day

andre: I should have linked to your blog - I'll do it now. And yes you're right about the spelling, I was writing this quickly and didn't check

steven: Count them

michael: What's the correct word? If mistakes are pointed out I'd like the corrections as well please

Anonymous said...

Exude is the word you're looking for. "Convent" Garden was unintentionally funny, too.

London Preppy said...

danny: Cool, you were there. Whereabouts?

blueyed: Thanks, I will do!

anon: Opera? Where?

anon: Bargain at £17

alwaysready: Good point, at least we can count on it not lasting very long

Anonymous said...

In a(n only slightly) figurative sense, you could say exude, which is to give off an odor. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to apply it to heat.

London Preppy said...

anon: Cool, I'm spreading this story. PS Can you still take me to Annie?

alex: I think that would only be fair. I accept

mike: Gotcha, thanks for all this

graham: Fine then, I will (as long as they have stupid name tags on)

aurix: Thank you :-)

dickophile: Ridiculous cheap fabric shoes that people used to wear in PE classes in the 80s. Making a (short-lived) comeback

Danny Edwards said...

Clearly I must have been in the only part of the venue you didn't see, where all the hot people were.

j said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AlwaysReadySF said...

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashion_blog/20_fashion_blog.html :)

London Preppy said...

Thanks to everyone who pointed out "exude" - see, I'm still learning

danny: That may well be true, I didn't scan the whole place. Did you see me?

London Preppy said...

always: Yep, those are the ones, thanks (on behalf of dickophile)

gill said...

LP,

Link emailed to you.

I hope they're suitable.

gill

London Preppy said...

gill: Absolutely perfect, thanks a million. Snapped

Danny Edwards said...

I didn't actually - I was up in front of the tiered seats but not right in front of the stage. Glad you enjoyed the gig - they were really fantastic - HIzzaaa Minelli!

michael01 said...

You're so demanding... You may have meant "exuding", and maybe you were also confusing it with "exhaling"--to breath out. Exuding (as I'm sure you know) means oozing out, or undergoing diffusion. One usually thinks of this word in connection with something literally or metaphorically liquid or semi-liquid. It would be perfectly okay in this context, but a little odd. Heat usually "radiates" or travels outward in some fashion--any metaphor that suggests that would be acceptable.

London Preppy said...

danny: Sounds like we were pretty close. I was right in front of the tiered seats, standing at the edge of the dancefloor. But then I am very short and get lost in crowds. Wowza Minelli!

London Preppy said...

michael: Now that's much better, thank you :-)

AlwaysReadySF said...

I don't even know HOW I ended up finding this on youtube... but I did. And you came to mind immediately.
I am STILL laughing about how goofy he looks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3XOILLVHZA

konstantinos said...

Σε ζηλεύω που πήγες στους Hercules & Love Affair! Όταν έψαξα για tickets (σχετικά αργά) ήταν ήδη sold out :(
Επίσης, καταλαβαίνω απόλυτα γιατί σου άρεσαν τόσο οι Chromeo. Τους ανακάλυψα και εγώ τυχαία πριν λίγες εβδομάδες και έχω κολήσει!! Ο ήχος τους μου βγάζει έντονα κάτι από Michael Jakcson στα καλύτερά του... που βέβαια δεν ξέρω αν σου αρέσει (γενικά διαπιστώνω ότι δεν αρέσει σε πολλούς gay, lol).
Θα ήταν ενδιαφέρων να μας έδινες το profil σου στον last.fm αν έχεις.

Sorry for the greek and long comment!

jay said...

I too find it a bit disturbing to have cash in my wallet. It's only ever there until I walk past an ATM.

With regards to H&M, decent customer service seems really hard to find. It's not like you took that 10 pounds from his salary or anything.

I do love this line "I never claimed to be anything more than cattle." LOL.

matty said...

i saw brett anderson.

sitting next to me at a sexual health clinic once. he was with a pretty girl who was the one to go in. i like to think she'd got some fungal thing from someone else and he was being a gentleman by taking her. but i was still surprised to see a recognisable face next to me there and that he was prepared to be seen there. maybe he thought he wouldn't be recognised...

anyways, i'm sure that breaks all 'rules' of confidentiality and you probably won't allow this to go online, but as i said, it wasn't him being seen; he was just there. sadly he didn't entertain the waiting room by singing a few songs.

dickophile said...

thanks. not knowing what they were was really getting to me.

Mike said...

To the black guy with his hat real low.... When you say "If LP were a book. Would you buy it?" Do you mean: 1) if this blog were a book, would I buy it? or 2) Do you mean if LP wrote a book with a proper storyline and plot, would I buy it?

If it's one explain more....

London Preppy said...

always: These are some big pants!

konstantine: Nai to vlepo gia Michael Jackson! Ta 80s tou opoiou mou aresoun fysika. Den exo profile sto last.fm. Einai kati pou tha eprepe na ksero?

jay: He was just grumpy and bored. Mind you I'd probably act the same way. No actually I wouldn't, I'd fake a smile because I'd be embarrassed

matty: No, I'm absolutely fine with publishing this comment, it's a good story

mike: I guess I mean both. Would the answer be different depending?

konstantinos said...

O last.fm είναι ένας ακόμα τρόπος για να αυξήσεις και άλλο τον χρόνο που ξοδεύεις online ...που είναι ήδη υπεραρκετός φαντάζομαι :-)
Anyway, κυρίως είναι software που καταγράφει ό,τι μουσική παίζεις στο mac σου και δημιουργεί στο online profil σου charts και λίστες με τη μουσική που ακούς. Ενδιαφέρον στατιστικά. Από εκεί και πέρα, σου προτείνει άλλα κομμάτια που θα σου άρεσαν με βάση τα γούστα σου, σου δείχνει τους μουσικούς σου "γείτονες" (άλλοι χρήστες του last.fm που έχουν ίδια μουσικά γούστα με εσένα) και μπορείς να ακούσεις τι ακούνε αυτοί κλπ κλπ.

Θεωρείται το πιο πετυχημένο social netowrking site που δημιουργήθηκε στο UK και τα γραφεία είναι στην Old Street (...τα τελευταία ήταν η άχρηστη πληροφορία της εβδομάδας!)

ANDRE said...

Yay, I got my first "ace" :) thank you!

London Preppy said...

konstantine: Efxaristo poly gi'afto, sigoura tha to koitakso. Den to pistevo oti den gonoriza idi!

Anonymous said...

Loving the pic of you in boyz! ..

nice to see you without the red strip over your eyes :-)