Sunday, 15 June 2008

Sunday 14/06/08

On Friday after work I go to the gym, where I give my card to the Eastern European woman at reception, pick up a towel, go downstairs in the changing room, take my clothes off apart from my underwear, wrap the towel around my waist, take my underwear off, change into my swimming shorts, walk to the pool, swim 30 lengths (10 lengths front crawl with tumble turns, 10 length breast stroke, 10 lengths underwater without using my arms), have a shower, get dressed, go home. 

On Friday night at 2230 I meet up with Mean at Old Street and we go to this bar, where Annie is playing a secret free gig.  Annie is a singer from Norway, and her music is not extremely dissimilar to Robyn’s.  On the way there I’m a bit worried that we won’t get in, because Annie was playing another free gig the night before and I’d heard that after a while people were turned away because it got quite busy. 

But we go and we get in.  The venue is very small, i.e. if you wanted to throw your underwear at Annie on stage – as I’m told people do at gigs – you could just hand it to her really and you wouldn’t have to stretch your arm full length either. 

The crowd considers itself to be achingly hip and because we’re in London not to mention East London not to mention a tiny bar not to mention a secret gig that people found out about through word-of-mouth, nobody dances, nobody reacts to anything. 

Regardless, Annie is doing her best and at some point she tells us: come on London, show me what you’ve got and Mean tells me: I’ll show you what London’s got – a fucking attitude.  I like this and I make a note of it on my phone to write it here. 

Then we leave and then I talk to Scott about the gig and he says what was it like and I say, it was good but the people were too East London, in fact some of them were very embarrassing and following every rule in the book.  And Scott says, which book is that then, and I says i-D magazine.  I like this and I make a note of it on my phone to write it here. 

Anyway, this is why I may be going to Sydney for six months or so, but I will certainly be coming back to London to live after that.  Because things like that happen in London: you hear about a secret gig in a tiny pub in London on Thursday and on Friday you're there and you're watching it.  And no offence, but I don't know if Annie would be playing a tiny free secret gig in Sydney or Athens or wherever else.  And I may often just like sitting in my living watching TV alone, but occasionally I like to go out and when I do, I want to have innumerable options of where to go.

On Saturday morning, I decide that I don’t want to wear suit trousers and dress shoes at work anymore and I want to wear smart jeans, loafers or deck shoes and soft cotton shirts from now on.  During the summer at least.  So I go and buy two pairs of jeans and three shirts from the Gap and then 

27 comments:

AlwaysReadySF said...

and then what? :-)

Alex said...

So you plan to come back to London eventually?
For some reason it makes me happy.

London Preppy said...

always: To be continued?

alex: Absolutely. I'm only going for six months or so

Anonymous said...

(If your move to Sydney is temporary) what was all the fuss about with your mum?

London Preppy said...

anon: Ah, well it seems you're not familiar with Greek mums

MrM said...

I like this and I make a note of it on my phone to write it here.
There we have it, a meta-post.

Anonymous said...

As an Australian living in London, your post tonight almost completely sums up the answer to the question I regulary get; 'Why the hell do you want to live in England when you come from sunny Australia?'

London Preppy said...

mrm: Meta-post eh? I may have to make a note of that and use it later

anon: Cool, I'm glad others see it the same way. And even if I don't take advantage of 99.99% of the opportunities that London presents, I need to know they're there

Sam said...

LP, just so you're prepared, everyone in Sydney has an attitude too, and that attitude is: ignore everyone else, think you're incredibly hot, spend too much money. So just like everywhere else really.

London Preppy said...

sam: Ah OK, seems like it will feel like home straightaway then?

ANDRE said...

Is it possible to hear (download) anything by Annie?

I need someone to replace Robyn in my guilty pleasure category...

Stephen said...

you will hate your (lack of) shopping options in Sydney.

dickophile said...

im surprised. i thought you might have felt at home in a place where "nobody dances, nobody reacts to anything" because i dont really see you as the type to dance let alone react to anything. so were the hip people at least good looking?

Mike said...

When you're out and going to forget to remember something, you can also call your home phone and leave a voice message (it can sometimes be misconstrued as being very popular, provided that those around you can not hear what you're saying), and upon returning home, you'll always have something to look forward to and listen to (lowering the probability of zero voice mails), plus you're also able to achieve your initial objective of remembering what you were going to forget. I've heard that some people do this....

Anna said...

I live in Sydney. You're gonna love our beaches and friendly people :) well at least they are to innocent 15 year olds like myself. So why did you choose Sydney?

regarding to a way previous post: Vietnam/Australia

London Preppy said...

andre: She realeased an album a couple of a years ago (Anniemal - yes I know) all of which is highly listenable. Check Heartbeat out here, tell me you don't love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Wf46tLonM

Her new album is out later this year, this is the first single:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=566k5h8M9f8

stephen: Yes, I can imagine. Plus I can't pack too much with me. Oh well

dickophile: Erm some of the girls were, yes. I wasn't really looking though

mike: Well I don't have a landline at home!

anna: I've got some friends who live there as well. Oh and people speak English. So do I (with moderate success)

george said...

you should spend some time in melbourne and you can feel like you were transported back to ancient greece........you can practise your greek.....george

London Preppy said...

goerge: Does everyone walk around naked and have slaves in Melbourne?

ANDRE said...

Thanks for the tip! "Heartbeat" is adorable, while her latest single is a bit too conventional.

I didn't know she was from Norway. This brings back lots of memories...

Anonymous said...

can we discuss the fact that you get changed into your swimming trunks under a towell... are you shy?

Edward said...

To be honest I think I like Sydney better than London. It is way cheaper and has better weather. It's just isolated.

Aussie Preppy said...

Be prepared for the worst weather in Sydney.

London Preppy said...

andre: Yes, the new single is bit underwhelming, but I believe the album has a lot better songs (there's a sampler going round at the moment)

anon: No, it has nothing to do with shyness (even though erm hello, of course I'm shy, have you not been reading), but the question inspired me to write a gym etiquette related post, so come back tomorrow

edward: Well I do prefer colder climates

aussie: If by that you mean warm and sunny, then yes I am prepared and that's one reason why I think I might regret going

Edward said...

so do I, that's why I'm fixing on a Canadian to marry.

Anonymous said...

im glad i influence your posts.

Timmy said...

I went to SYD for 10 days and my mum was afraid I would never return Stateside. She was ready to sell the family jewels to come and see me. (Have I ever told you that my grandparents were from Mexico? Drama can run rampant in the family.)

J.B. said...

You have just summed up everything that is better about London in respect to its betterness than Sydney. The ability to feel calm knowing that there are millions of adventures you could be having even though you are not.

Sydney for 6 months is an amazing place. You may last two years but by then you will see it for its youthful fun and laughter, the parties, the friendly strangers, the upbeat lifestyle and you will want the calmness of a bigger, darker city.