Sunday, 8 June 2008

Sunday 08/06/08

On Friday after work I go to the gym and then maybe I should be going to some house party, but I’ve been out on Wednesday night (Hercules & Love Affair) and Thursday night (Simon’s house) and this is getting way too much, I need to be on my own for a while so I just go home. 

Then at 2300 I get a little bored so decide to quickly get dressed, take the iPod and get on the tube, go around on my own for a bit listening to music and watching the people going home from their nights out. 

And during this tube journey I listen to Cemetry Gates by The Smiths, followed by A Cause De Garcons by Yelle quite a few times, and then the tube is nearly closed so I head back home. 

On Saturday I meet up with Scott and we go to Topman, where I buy a pair of skinny jeans for £25 (which I later cut into knee-length skinny shorts) and then we go to a ridiculously cheap and tacky sports shop, where I buy two pairs of Adidas shorts for the gym for £2.50 each (which means that I never have to wear my two pairs of Abercrombie shorts to the gym, which I have been wearing for the last six years). 

And hopefully with the basic, straight-boy Adidas gym shorts and my frumpy white Marks & Spencer’s underwear, when I go to the gym in Sydney, gay people who are training there will be thinking: is he gay / no he can’t be gay / look at those shorts and/or underwear / etc. 

On Saturday evening I meet up with Mean and we’re heading out to Hoxton Square, which is in East London and used to be leftfield and “happening” about nine years ago.  

But because I’m unaware of this degradation of Hoxton Square bars I try to outdo those trendy East London types, by wearing something suitably ridiculous, which comprises the skinny jeans I prepared earlier / white plimsolls / green t-shirt with a picture of a British stamp on it, only with Madonna’s face instead of the Queen’s.



Sadly when we get there it turns out that the East London “trendy” crowds have left a long time ago and I just look like an idiot.  Not that anyone notices though, because straight girls and boys are busy drinking / checking each other out / concentrating on their own problems. 

Which reminds me of a conversation I had with some gay friends not too long ago, about the difference between gay bars and straight bars.  If you’re a guy and you go to a gay bar people will check you out and stare out you no matter what.  If you’re a guy and you go to a straight bar, you’re invisible, because in straight bars girls are the story, girls are the stars.  Which is something I’m OK with at the moment. 

Then I catch the tube home and Mean catches a cab home and soon Mean starts texting me about his super chatty cab driver and how he picked up David Schwimmer apparently and I text back “any good Marcel stories” and Mean texts back “great head apparently” and then I get home.

30 comments:

george said...

i thought you did not like wearing skinny jeans? the cut offs look good on you. however the combo makes you look gay. you should wear short shorts. ......george

London Preppy said...

george: I don't like skinny jeans (on me) but these shorts / this look would only work with skinny jeans. I definitely look very gay, I described this in some text messages last night as "the gayest I've ever looked".

Also, I'm wearing short shorts today, pics tomorrow

Anonymous said...

That is indeed the gayest you've ever looked, and it's very ridiculous... unacceptably not preppy! (I am sorry to say) I really visit for the writing, not so much for your fashion sense...

Maluminas said...

So thats what plimsolls are... Their name is just as cryptic as the reason why anyone would wear them...

Anonymous said...

i think skinny jeans are your future...

michael01 said...

There is a way to be invisible in a gay bar too. It's called being too old. But you don't have to be concerned about that for another fifteen or twenty years.

Superchilled said...

gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay
yes it's quite the look
Does this mean you're of the homosexual persuasion?
Even so, I'll still read your blog.

AlwaysReadySF said...

I agree that skinny jeans make anyone look gay, but is that a bad thing?

I think they look pretty good on you. I would venture to say that even regular (i.e. non shorts) skinny jeans would look good but to give a final pronouncement I would need to see how they look from "behind".

On a different (but not too different) note that outfits looks like something that this American friend of mine in London would wear.... down to the V t-shirt ;-)

London Preppy said...

always: Most definitely reminiscent of a certain American friend!

nyc said...

Do you like the attention/looks you get in a gay bar or you'd prefer to be "invisible" there as well?

Will we get a picture of your new adidas shorts?

Bobby Cox said...

yes. so it was laundry day for the bedsheets?
or do you have sinuses and that's an enormous hankerchief on the radiator?

London Preppy said...

nyc: Well I like the attention from people I give attention to

bobby: It most certainly was laundry day. That day of the year comes round too often if you ask me

Richard said...

LOL, that last paragraph killed me. What I wouldn't give to be in a cab with David Schwimmer.

dickophile said...

so with your new set of gym clothes are you trying to be someone else's superman?

and god you look sooooooo gay. and then knowing the effort you had to put into turning the skinny jeans into skinny shorts makes you even more gay. i dont know if you'll be able to come off as straight in sydney.

London Preppy said...

dickophile: Well, we'll see eh!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry LP but the outfit is a miss. The bod, on the other hand, is a hit.
Scott

Ja said...

This is crazy. Last monday the adidas valiente soccer short replaced my abercrombies, and I'm a better person for it.

kim said...

two things - if you moved to Sydney, yes you'd fit in (wearing THAT) but only with the gay crowd; if you moved to Melbourne, not only would you fit in with almost the entire population under 50, but you'd also be in the 2nd largest Greek city in the world.

I'm not condoning a move to Melbourne - I've probably just given you reason to keep clear of it. My work here is done.

Luke said...

The shorts are very gay, isn't this the time you should be doing your best to carry off some ridiculous chinos with battered boater shoes and a cricket jumper over the shoulders, all topped off with a healthy dose of irony.

Dave said...

I think you look good, maybe a little ridiculous but still good!

London Preppy said...

scott: I think the fact that I look a bit worked out makes the outfit a miss. If I were skinny this kind of thing would look a lot better

ja: Excellent! (and freaky)

kim: But, but, my friends are in Sydney. Also, would someone in this outfit really fit in anywhere?

luke: It's too warm currently for the cricket jumper even over the shoulders, right?

dave: Mainly ridiculous though!

gill said...

What's with the need to look straight ? If that's your concern just start wearing generic fashion, gobbing wads of phlegm on pavements and scratching your balls with no regard to public decency.

Alternatively you could be like a the majority of the Greek men I remember from my university.
- wear large beige workman boots with light blue jeans
- have any possible chest hair on display
- most importantly not forgetting to bellow to your friends (excuse my phonetic spelling) "Ella aye" "agur missu" "poustisse Malaka" "Malaka many "
- bizarrely enough have a unhealthy love for Eurovision !?!

Ah bollocks to all that. Just flirt with man, woman or beast and you'll be fine any town anywhere !

Gill

London Preppy said...

gill: These are all extremely accurate tips, tips that I could have written myself, well done!

Anonymous said...

Much as I think you are great. this outfit is not. Please burn it at once. x

Should Know Better said...

With your love of cutting up your t-shirts and muscle, you might like to visit

http://ajaxx63.blogspot.com/2008/06/new-look-of-ajaxx63-summer-2008.html

I love the red one with the slits up the side. Now if I looked like that I would be pioneering this look along side you. x

London Preppy said...

anon: Well...how about I just burn the shorts and keep the rest but not wear them together. That would work

should: Cool. Now I know what to wear on the next dress-down Friday. Who is this guy by the way and why do I recognise him?

Should Know Better said...

Who is he? I've no idea but he's been in my thoughts ever since I saw the pictures. If you know him I would kill to get an introduction.

Connecticut Yankee said...

Should - I guess I should have heeded the google alert about objectionable content. I had to give a passing co-worker the withering, yes "I'am a homo do you have a problem with it look" when those boys popped up with a subheader reading the glory hole.

LP - I think you looked good in your decidedly not preppy outfit. Very not preppy, but when you are fit, you are fit. End of story.

Why the claim to or interest in prep status anyway? Maybe I missed that entry?

London Preppy said...

should: I think I remember actually, I'll message you later

connecticut: I'll look up the post where I explain this

Edward said...

so that's what plimsolls are. not a fan.