Saturday, 10 May 2008

Sunday 11/05/08

On Thursday lunchtime I leave the office and I’m wearing factor 50 sunblock on my arms and face which is making me very sticky because it’s thick as paste plus it doesn’t smell so good, and I think that’s because (the bottle tells me) it has insect repellent in it, which I suppose they included in the mix because they thought, if you’re scared of getting a little tan you must have every other phobia in the book as well and are generally quite fucked up. 

So I’m walking around with 1cm thick white paste on my arms and smelling of insect repellent (does anyone want to go out with me – please send an email) and my aim for today is to go out and buy t-shirts; in fact I want to spend £100 on t-shirts.  So I go in: Replay, Zara, G-Star, H&M, Gap, Urban Outfitters, Diesel… 

…where I try on innumerable t-shirts and I don’t like any of them, and I’m beginning to think that I’m actually getting old because t-shirts just seem wrong these days, and I almost cannot bear to wear anything without a collar.  

Then I buy a yellow t-shirt from G-Star in order to prove to myself that I’m still young and then I buy a rugby polo shirt from the Gap because I like it. 

After work I go to the gym because I need to work on a) my legs and b) my eternal friendship with the guy from yesterday’s post

He is there and I don’t think he looks as much as he did yesterday, he still says “hi” as we walk past, but he doesn’t come over and talk to me or anything.  I pretend to not be disappointed by this and try to remind myself that the signs are still good and if we’re going to build a genuine friendship that lasts our whole lifetime (which we will), we must not rush into things and let it burn out quickly.  

He and I will be best friends, maybe not this week, maybe not next, maybe never, but we will be. 

Later at home I go to bed and I don’t think of him because he will only keep me awake and I think I sleep.

On Friday it’s still very warm but it’s cloudy, so I wear my sunglasses and go out for lunch.  And during lunch I buy two more bottles of factor 50 sunblock (I now have four which makes me feel almost confident), three cans of Red Bull, syrup for chesty coughs, some wild rocket and a chicken wrap.  Then I stand outside Covent Garden station looking at my watch pretending I’m waiting for somebody for 12 minutes, and then I go back to the office.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

you write so bloody well...........you have become a little addiction to me, I am so interested in what is going on in your life and yet simultaneously you are comforting.reassuring to know that not everyone is bloody perfect in fabulous London town!

London Preppy said...

anon: Well thank you. It's become a little addiction to me to write. And no, not everything is bloody perfect in London town for sure!

Anonymous said...

Having been in London for 2 years I feel quite stressed, all looking fabulous, acting fabulous , trying to be more fabulous than the next person............

Your blog is ironically one of the most real things in my world, because you can show that you are vulnerable.....thank-you

ps if you ever fancy a coffee at lunchtime.......

Trybaby said...

Well I'm 19 and I don't like most t-shirts. I hope graphic T's die and go to hell already. They are done!

Anonymous said...

This is like reading American Psycho goes to London and turns gay.

Anonymous said...

Not far off...........although I am not gay, but thanks again for wriing your blog, it has given me a few laughs and a few tears over these past months and that is much appreciated.......

Dick Pics said...

superman is just playing hard to get. he wants to be your bff too he just doesn't want you to know it.

so what kind of satisfaction does one get from pretending to wait for someone? i might try it. but i think that if no one shows up i will look like a loser who has been stood up.

London Preppy said...

trybaby: Well you do exhibit non-19 year beahaviour and views regurarly...

anon: Isn't it just?

London Preppy said...

dick: The waiting is just another role I liked to play at the point. I don't know why

Trybaby said...

Hmm.... I think I'll choose to take that as a........compliment! THANKS! 8D You also display non-19 year old behavior and views regularly :D.

London Preppy said...

trybaby: Well chosen

george said...

do you think 1cm thick is enough....?

why don't you wear a full body wetsuit....that should do the trick. .....george

Anonymous said...

...You know...the thing I find most infuriating with T-shirts is the fact that very few have good collars. Most are way too loose or the ribbing is so thin and you end up with a "boat neck" and that's just not a good look!

Dmom said...

All you need is spf35 i too have a fear of tan but i wouldent sacrifice smell for it. i agree with anon(the first one) you do write extremily well.

Oldyeller said...

So I suppose its a a tad early in the relationship to give Superman a friendly tap on the fanny next time you pass him?

Richard said...

I'm really trying to burn off my skin so that I can give off the illusion to people that it is clear, so I suppose that we are facing opposite problems at this moment. I do, however, also really want to buy a bunch of t-shirts. There's something about plain-colored t-shirts in particular that, when I see a guy wearing one, it just seems that he must be nice. Maybe only on certain people, though, which would completely disprove my hypothesis.

London Preppy said...

oldy: Just a little too early. I'll leave that for Wednesday maybe

richard: That's the one good reason really to want to get a tan, it does eliminate imperfections/spots/everything :-(

Alex said...

I think I need to spend more time around Covent Garden tube :-\

Trybaby said...

Solid coloured T-shirts are very very cool. They will never go out of style and can be layered with everything!