Thursday, 17 April 2008

Thursday 16/04/08

Because the beating that I take through everyday life just isn't enough for me... 

...and due to the fact that I like to build up my hopes, work myself into a crescendo of anticipation and excitement, live under the delusion that things will get better because let's face it, how much further down can you go when you've already stalled at the bottom for two years and eleven months... 

...so that when reality crashes down on me I am even more shattered (which is something I blatantly get my kicks out of)... 

I have taken to reading my daily horoscope in the Metro on the way to work.  And I expect this one day to tell me that, yes, everything will be fine, all the rules of the universe will be reversed and I'll come out carefree and I'll come out sane.  And when that day comes, when my horoscope decides to give me another chance, I'll suck it all up, I won't question a thing, I'll just move on with my new life victorious, happy, an unexpected winner. 

And on Wednesday, my horoscope reads: 

"A charming, sociable Wednesday, during which everyone wants to be on your side.  It’s not your new aftershave, it’s not your budging wallet or even your film star looks.  It’s your positivity.  It’s catching" 

Charming?

Sociable?

Budging wallet?

Film star?

Positivity? 

Fully aware that the only way my positivity can be described as catching is the way that it catches people by the throat and violently chokes them, I take another hit, as the knowledge sinks in that my last source of hope...the daily horoscope...has also turned against me and is now taking the piss. 

Then I go to work, then I work, then I receive a DVD boxset of Real World:Las Vegas through the post, then I go to the gym where I do shoulders, then I go home. 

At home I argue with Scott over who we're voting for at the London Mayor election and when he strongly disputes my choice I argue back that I don't know and I don't care really and I'm just choosing my candidate based on the political party they represent and this political party has to be what my parents have been voting for all their lives, and isn't that how everyone makes their choice, that's what I'm doing anyway, so there. 

And safe in the knowledge that imbecilic ignorami like me set the course of this country, any country really, with their misinformed voting and lack of knowledge on anything, I watch the Apprentice and go to bed resting assured that the world of Business is fucked as well.

On Thursday night:



...but more about that later.

14 comments:

kim said...

... and let the political commentators begin

London Preppy said...

kim: They can but I'm really not interested, so I'll stay out of this. I have no clue and I intend to stay that way

Jack in Sydney said...

Ah, and now we're back to good ol' LP, angsty and grumpy, yet content in his ignorance and apathy. Huzzah!

Trybaby said...

NO not later NOW!!! Bjork!!!

On the bus today I saw an overweight girl in a velour track suit and a unicorn t-shirt. You can just imagine the overweight daughter of a overweight woman lives in a trailer and that is pretty much her. It was so sad, she tried to hop onto the railing to sit on it but she couldn't because her bottom was too big. And the boys at the back of the bus laughed at her. Letting your child get that big and wearing such ugly clothes is pretty much child abuse. I wanted to reach out to her and help her. I just thought you might like to hear that because you seem to like to look at people on transit.

London Preppy said...

jack: That my favourite type of LP too

trybaby: Don't worry, I'll write all about it.

As for the girl, you were right, I was interested in hearing this. The most uncomfortable part of the story was the kids laughing at her - this is actually depressing

Greg Turner said...

I have to admit I love Boris. I wish I was that blonde.

kim said...

I have no clue and I intend to stay that way

and this is why i continue to read

Trybaby said...

Yes it really is, especially because it seemed like she is very sweet and innocent, and somehow ignorant of how horrendous the world is going to be to her and all the heartache that lay ahead. When she did manage to hop onto the railing/ledge thing the whole bus shook(more laughing) oblivious to all the looks and whispers, only a smile came across her face in some kind of pride in discovering that you could sit there. And when her stop came and she dumpily slid off to her feet and when she exited the bus she said in a soft girly voice, "thank you" to the bus driver. As the bus left I couldn't help but watch her waddle her way home.

I know, doesn't this just feel like someone is wringing out your heart?

Maluminas said...

Oh god i hate kids like that. At school i was the one being picked on, not because i was fat, but the complete opposite, and since my mom lived alone with me and my brother, we weren't rich, so i had less than fashionable clothes, which was yet another weak-spot to bash on... Plus we kept moving every 2 years, so as cliche as it sounds i had no friends, and my social abilities and self-esteem are scarred for life, no wait "amputated" is more accurate... all because of stupid kids.

All this to say that im glad i wasn't on the bus with you trybaby, because one of two things might have happened, 1: i start to cry my heart out at all the hurt coming back to me and the sympathy i feel for the girl, 2: I wait for the bus to start moving, then i walk over to the kids, open the bus window and throw them out with sheer rage, and not on the curb's side...

bi-polar said...

maluminas: bullies are awful..............but I do hope you try and put any anger you have aside.............let it go, you will be a better person for it!

Dick Pics said...

are horoscopes preppy?

guy in montreal said...

Hey

Your entry made me think of this song, and i think you'd really like it. "dont let me down" by James Yorkston.

I still think you should come hang out in Montreal.

London Preppy said...

dick: I don't know, probably not. The question is: am I preppy? And the answer is the same

guy in montreal: I'll youtube that right now

Dick Pics said...

i think you're preppy. granted i don't know much about the preppy lifestyle and all the sacrifices i assume one must make to fully submit to it. but i still think you're preppy.