Monday, 14 April 2008

Monday 14/04/08

EDIT: Oh so I just started another blog, where I will only upload videos.  I've called it London Preppy Videos.  I don't know how often I'll update London Preppy Videos (definitely not as often as this blog), but check it out every now and then if you likes.  To kickstart it I've put on a new video and I'm even showing my whole face.  Well, you'll see what I mean anyway.

London Preppy Videos

(thanks to everyone who pointed out the videos didn't work, I've fixed that now)

On Friday I finish work (I say finish even though I’m pretty sure they expect me to go back on Monday and for the following 37 years thereafter) and I go to the gym.  After the gym I go to Euston station to meet Andrews’ Boyfriend who’s down in London for a job interview.  After Euston station I go home and eat.  After going home I go to Soho where I meet Donnell and break some news to him.  After Soho I take the tube and head over to Scott’s to spend the night.

So it’s Friday night, around 2330 and everyone on the tube is either a tourist going back to their hotel, or a Londoner going home from the pub.  Needless to say, all the Londoners are drunk.  This causes an interesting shift in dynamic. 

In the daytime on the tube, all the Londoners are quiet, miserable and they look on the floor.  Tourists are loud, chatty and they look around.  In the late evening (on weekends) the reverse happens.  The Londoners are boisterous and chatty because they’re drunk; the tourists are quiet and avoid eye contact because they’re scared of the drunks.

On this Friday, I’m stood there, reading the last few pages of The Third Brother, having made the mistake of not wearing my iPod (even though it’s in my bag).  Opposite me: overweight poor black guy in his late 30s pretending to read free newspaper (although he can’t read English), presumably on his way to some factory nightshift.  Next to him: English couple in their mid-30s, guy is completely pissed, talking to everyone around him, including poor black guy (“had a good night mate?”, “you’ll have to excuse my girlfriend, she doesn’t get out often”, etc), girlfriend also pissed, trying to look embarrassed but secretly looking at boyfriend in admiration (you know that stupid almost proud look women put on when their boyfriend gets pissed and becomes cocky and talks to strangers).

By __ station, I’ve had enough so I kneel down, slowly open my bag, notice a few people watching me, put my hand in, unzip a pocket, fantasise about pulling out a gun and shooting the drunk between the eyes, pull out my iPod instead, start playing Ella Elle L’a by France Galle followed by Nobody Loves Us by Morrissey.

On Saturday, at Scott’s house, I get up and go to the shop, buy ingredients to make chocolate truffles, come back, make chocolate truffles, leave. 

I go to the gym where I do legs and abs and I swim, and then go home where for the rest of the evening I watch about 15 minutes of the films: Enchanted, Lovewrecked, read the end of my book, go to Tesco for my weekly shopping, watch part of the World Swimming Championship that’s held in Manchester…

…reminisce about working in that same swimming pool in 2002 as a lifeguard, recognize some of the swimmers that used to say hi to me in the early mornings they used to come in for training, fight an internal battle on whether I should bulk up and be musclier or try to emulate a leaner swimmer’s body, lose the battle either way.

At 0100 Scott comes over to mine with ___, he draws the phrase “DON’T READ CAMUS” on my left arm, we hang out, share a Valium, go to bed.

On Sunday I get up and go to the gym again to do back and abs and swim.  On the tube on the way there I see a guy I recognize from somewhere – a guy I don’t know personally but may have seen on the cover of Men’s Health.  As his girlfriend cuddles up to him and picks hard skin from the palms of his hands (a gesture that implies to me they’ve been together for longer than I care to think about), I look at his perfect face, his shaved blonde hair, his smooth white skin and realize that few things hurt me more than physical beauty.

Later at home, I mess around on youtube a bit and find the following video of these boys lip-synching to Good Vibrations by Marky Mark and make the following decisions:

-       Over the next week I will not listen to any other songs.  I will listen to Good Vibrations by Marky Mark exclusively until I know all the lyrics

-       I need to find two muscly, straight friends with an ironic taste for ridiculous pop/rap, dress up (=dress down really, or more accurately undress) and shoot my own video

-       I need to be invited to a fancy dress party very, very soon so I can go as Marky Mark: no top, ridiculous chain, big white Calvin Klein underwear sticking out way high above my jeans/baggy shorts, baseball cap, big basketball trainers.  Right now, there is nothing in my life that I want to do more

26 comments:

Trybaby said...

Wow you are going to hate that song and never want to hear it again. And when you do hear it again it'll cause a feeling of dread.

London Preppy said...

trybaby: No, this is what I do, I will listen to a song on repeat for hours at a time. Songs only last around 3 minutes, how can people just listen to them a couple of times at a time and then move on, if they like them?

Stephen said...

I love chocolate truffles - but only if they have no rum in them.

London Preppy said...

stephen: I'm afraid mine were quite boozy. I stuck two types of rum in the mix

AlwaysReadySF said...

It's called obsessive compulsive behavior ;-)

fuzzy logic said...

LP: thanks, that's another favourite video found, thanks to you.

London Preppy said...

alwaysready: Ah, yes, that would be it

London Preppy said...

fuzzy: It's brilliant, isn't it? I want to find these guys, and hang out with them, and buy beers and go to a frat party

Anonymous said...

I have a spare copy of 'The Stranger', Penguin edition. It's yours if you want it.

Personally, if I could unread something it would be'The Magus' by John Fowles.

Chocolate mousse would be a good next move after truffles - slightly more processes and ingredients but no tricksy heat.

Oldyeller said...

Yesterday I shared a 4 hour plane ride with a young (21ish) adonis across the aisle--he seemed to have no clue that he was physically beautiful in every way. I was a depressed, envious wreck by the end of the flight. Why are "we" like this? [See also vividblurry's post from last week.]

Dick Pics said...

i can't stop laughing at that last part. really. its just too much. oh and have you ever seen the lookout? its this movie with joseph gordon-levitt and matthew goode. the main character is always writing these lists of all the mundane things he does and reading the beginning of this post made me think of that. of course, the difference is he had to write the lists because he had some rare form of amnesia and would always forget everything. anyway, you should watch 15 minutes of it.

Anonymous said...

"reminisce about working in that same swimming pool in 2002 as a lifeguard,"

Love the blog, and have been watching all the swimming. However the pool was only built last week, its a temporary pool.

London Preppy said...

anon: I made brownies last week, then truffles. Mousse is defo an option

oldyeller: I don't know. I guess some might call this being shallow. But I think that appreciating intelligence is also shallow, because people are born with that too

dick: Not seen or heard of that. Will look it up

anon: Oh really? Shows how much attention I was paying! I presumed it was being held at the Manchester Aquatics Centre like the Commonwealth Games in 2002

Dick Pics said...

i suggest your fifteen minutes of it include the part where matthew walks around naked and you get to see his ass.

Graham said...

LP,
I do the same thing, listen to a song on repeat for hours and day after day walking to and from work, until i know every beat, every breath. I already know good vibrations and want to be in your video!
re: OCD, I arrange my lunch in right angles and pairs of like items. I like things to be symmetrical. Physical beauty hurts too, and depresses!

Neil said...

what news did you break to donnell?

Anonymous said...

GOOD VIBRATIONS
Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch
Written by: D. Wahlberg/M.Wahlberg/Spice

Yeah
Can you feel it baby
I can too

Come on swing it [4 times]

1-2-3 - Now we come to the pay off

It's such a good vibration
It's such a sweet sensation [2 times]

Yo! It's about that time
To bring forth the rhythm and the rhyme
I'm a get mine so get yours
I wanna see sweat comin' out your pores
On the house tip is how I'm swingin' this
Strictly Hip-Hop boy, I ain't singin' this
Bringing this to the entire nation
Black, white, red, brown
Feel the vibration

Come on come on
Feel it feel it
Feel the vibration

(Chorus)

Vibrations good like Sunkist
Many wanna know who done this
Marky Mark and I'm here to move you
Rhymes will groove you
And I'm here to prove to you
That we can party on the positiive side
And pump posititve vibes
So come along for the ride
Making you feel the rhythm is my occupation
So feel the vibration

Come on come on
Feel it feel it
Feel the vibration

(Chorus)

Donnie D break it down

Donnie D's on the back up
Drug free, so put the crack up
No need for speed
I'm the anti D-R-U-G-G-I-E my
Body is healthy
My rhymes make me wealthy
And the Funky Bunch helps me
To bring you a show with no intoxication
Come on feel the vibration

Yeah
Can you feel it baby
I can too

(Chorus)

Now the time has come for you to get up
The rest had you fed up but Yo, I won't let up
On the rhythm and rhyme that's designed to
Make your behind move to what I'm inclinced to
Pure Hip Hop, no sell out
If you ain't in it to win it
Then get the hell out
I command you to dance
I wanna see motivation
Come on now feel the vibration

{Piano solo}

It's such a good vibration
Come on come on come on
It's such a sweet sensation
Feel it feel it

(Chorus)

{Piano - out}

It's such a good vibration
Come on come on come on
It's such a sweet sensation
Feel it feel it

(Chorus)

{Piano - out}

Trybaby said...

Your youtube videos won't play because they are set to private.

Trybaby said...

Oh and also, I don't think you need to have a whole separate blog for videos. I think it'll just be more hassle for you cause then you'll have to keep track of two things. just my opinion.

Jon C said...

You need to post the videos you did a while back - voice, random walking with the mask, etc.

Alpha Omega said...

Preppy...

The vids are all private. How do ya get an invite?

Hope you got my donation to the college fund...

Alpha

Brad said...

Your new video blog doesn't seem to work - all videos say "Video is no longer available"

London Preppy said...

alpha: I did, thanks very, very much!

everyone: I've fixed the videos now

anon: Cool, thanks for lyrics

jon: I don't have those videos anymore sadly. They're only on the blog. I had them on my old PC

george said...

where are you going to find two fat male friends?......george

Julio Cruz said...

LoL, these guys attend the University of Florida. All I can say is I'm glad my school is being represented on London Preppy, even if indirectly so. :)

London Preppy said...

julio: No way! Do you know them?