Friday, 22 February 2008

Friday 22/02/08

This is from Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis: 

Benjamin says, ‘The Human League are out.  Over.  Finished.  You don’t know what’s going on, Kim.’ 

‘No, I mean, you really, don’t,’ he goes on. ‘I bet you don’t even read The Face.  You’ve got to.’ He lights a clove cigarette.  ‘You’ve got to.’ 

‘Why do you have to?’ I ask. 

Benjamin looks at me, runs his fingers through his pompadour and says, ‘Otherwise you’ll get bored.’ 

And on Friday a get another tattoo.  I’ve got to, otherwise I’ll get bored.  I’ve got to maintain some kind of buzz and this new tattoo should keep me going for at least three maybe even four days. 

So this new tattoo is on my left leg just below my knee (or at the top of the calf/shin if you like) and it’s made up of four words that go round my leg like a band.  And these words have 29 letters in total and they are separated by this symbol / and they are written in the same font as my Bret Easton Ellis tattoo. 

And the way this goes is that I finish work at 1730 and I take a Valium and two paracetamol and I go to the tattoo place where some guy measures my leg and makes a print of the design and as I sit there, the needle going through my skin, giving me some pleasure and some pain but mostly nothing because I’m drugged up, reading In The Penal Colony by Franz Kafka and Little Nicholas by Rene Goscinny (in a Greek translation) and I’ve also brought Less Than Zero with me but that is mostly for moral support and the guy is watching is watching a DVD called The Nazis: A Warning From History and then it’s done, 45 minutes, mayne an hour later, and I go home and I’m feeling spaced and the tattoo is wrapped up so I’m not sure what it looks like still. 

And here are some pictures. 

Picture 1: This is me, feeling the Valium waiting for things to start with Scott poking me because I’m not reacting

Picture 2: This is the guy transferring the print onto my leg


Picture 3: This is the same thing from a different angle 


Picture 4: This is the mess on my leg before the needlework starts


Picture 5: This is my partially shaved leg waiting to be scratched 


Picture 6: This is some scratching happening

Picture 7: This is the same thing from a different angle

Picture 8: This is the guy doing the back of my leg

I cannot say what the tattoo says.

29 comments:

Marcus said...

I love your pants and am attracted to the veins popping up on the front of your calf.

London Preppy said...

marcus: He he, thanks on both accounts

Dane said...

Nice legs!

David said...

i bet he won't show it because it is a tribal design or something written in chinese. :P

London Preppy said...

dane: Thanks :-)

david: It's a tribal design with some Maori elements and a chinese blessing running through it ha ha

Bolt Upright said...

You can't say what the tattoo says, but it's your four names, yeah?

kim said...

and being a (new) citizen of the Commonweath, we can now enter your leg for the Booker Prize.

London Preppy said...

kim: It's true, I did come up with the words all by myself!

Auctor Ignotus said...

London/Preppy/realfirstname/reallastname

Hmmmm?

I think random photos of your limbs could get you to 500,000 visitors

Maluminas said...

Ugh... tattoos are such a turn-off. When you touch it its all bumpy, ew ew ew! Like a cancerous growth or something >_< And the meaning behind it WILL fade while the tattoo itself WON'T , its a fatality. Unless you pay someone to laser it off...

And you shouldn't do anything that you cant do without drugs (this of course excludes medical procedures). But what do i know i'm boring.

Just my annoying opinion <.<

Toby said...

I'm going to assume it's your name. I wish I had four names.

Timmy said...

I bet it is Chinese symbols whose English translation is Jackie Collins.

kim said...

It's true, I did come up with the words all by myself!

mother would be so proud

Trybaby said...

Hehe I knew you were going to get more work done, either that or get a piercing. Hmmm I guess we will have to just wonder what those words are. I though you were going to do the violence on your hip. I can see why you needed the Valium, tattooing on the shin is crazy painful being so close to the bone. Good thing you had Scott there to take care of your inebriated self after. I'd really like to see what you are like all dizzy on Valium. I wonder if you are one of those sexy drunks or just plain silly.

L.A. Fireman said...

I thought for a sec that in picture #3 you were getting a blowjob from the tattoo artist, and the red line covered your schlong. Then I realized you wouldn't really post a picture like that! Ha Ha

London Preppy said...

auctor: Well, let's see where the legs take me!

maluminas: Calm down love, it's only a tattoo! They are not bumpy at all - have you actually been near one lol

toby: Trust me, anyone can buy four names

timmy: Correct, but they are misspelt so it actually says Jacko Colonoscopy

trybaby: Well, I don't know about sexy, but I smile a lost more (lost in space)

fireman: Believe me, neither of us would have an interest in such an activity

r!ch said...

I'll reserve my comments on having a tat while drugged...
Tattoos get bumpy sometimes, when really old.
And you can edit these before posting cant you? Just thought a bump of K would be more effective than Valium? or both!?

Maluminas said...

Yes i've been near one, i even touched it, and it was... well maybe not "bumpy", but i could definitely feel a small relief where there was ink.

Oh and it was a tribal design...

On a girl...

Ew...

:P

London Preppy said...

r!ch: What is this "ketamine"?

maluminas: Did you touch it 2 hours after it was done? Like any wound it swells up a bit for a couple of weeks until it heals then you can't feel anything!

[Forth Width] said...

Is that an olympics tee-shirt you're wearing in pic 1!?!! That's so not preppy!

Although, I stand to be corrected, of course.

London Preppy said...

forth: It is, yes. I don't know...I would have thought preppies would like the Olympics what with being outdoorsy, athletic, etc.

Joe in the OC said...

I hope it reads; "If you can read this, you are about to enter Heaven!" Am I right? What do I win?

London Preppy said...

joe: Please come collect your prize

Forehand Pass said...

Let me guess: (5-letter middle name)/VIOLENCE/CRIMINALLY VULGAR. Four words. 29 letters in all. Incorporates your first, and perhaps most instinctual, impulse.

Then there's the (quite beautiful) symbolism of it: The vicious circle of life gripping you by the leg, not unlike a "little bunny" trapped by the teeth of life.

That the trap comprises words from artists who mean so much to you only adds to the meaning: here you are, encircled - and held - by their words.

After all, what is a writer but a man of letters? (especially one who brings along a book to a tattooing "for moral support"!!! Incidentally that's my favorite part of that post: a small telling detail that spoke volumes). is that why, LP, all your tattoos so far are letters - and stark, unembellished ones - because they mean more to you than a maori tribal pattern ever would?

:-) Did I get close to the nail's head?

Cheers, buddy. Keep up the beautiful - and increasingly disciplined - writing.

London Preppy said...

forehand: That's a beautiful thinking process and I like what you came up with it. I could easily have had that. But it's not the one!

Also glad you liked the Less Than Zero mention!

Maluminas said...

No LP, the tattoo was perfectly healed. Maybe it depends on the technique or ink used or the reaction of the person to them or whatever.

Well i think that ends that discussion... i'm particularly gifted with discussions that go nowhere. And long awkward silence on the phone because i can't hold a conversation and i can't know when it's over. I think i qualify: can you sign me up in your Socially Impaired Club? :P

[Forth Width] said...

Hm. I've always felt that the olympics was very much a reiteration of the gladiatorial games - where a tube-fearing preppy would find mixing with the unwashed masses quite... the chore.

re: tattoo. For some reason the first four words that popped into my head was:

beware / the / rollingstock / mayhem

but that's short by three letters, and i'm thinking that you'd probably have all four words as distinct concepts rather than as a phrase because of the slashes. or maybe they're stages... yeah, stages. my stab in the dark would be:

debouch / staccato / aplomb / bakcheia

London Preppy said...

forth: It's scary. You've got it spot on with the second guess!

r!ch said...

A stranger!? To some headspace kandy!!!?

I had my first valium last night.
Oh sweet jesus! :-D