Friday, 8 February 2008

Friday 08/02/08

This week I remember it’s Valentine’s Day next Thursday and I get this idea for what present I should get Scott, and this is a really good idea trust me.  So after a couple of days of research, well actually after 20 minutes of walking around Covent Garden and not seeing any shops that sell what I want, I go online and order the present there.  This has the added benefit that I don’t have to talk to anyone, but it also has the disadvantage that the present will probably not arrive in time, but come on, who cares really. 

So I can’t say what the present is, because Scott has now taken to reading this every now and then, but I can say that it’s something that you wear.  However, I will impose restrictions on how Scott can wear it, he cannot wear it the traditional way, he will have to wear it the way Carrie wore hers in an episode of Sex And The City and Aidan got mad at her.  Also I’m getting one too.  I think I’ve given too many clues and everyone will know now, but that’s fine, just don’t tell Scott. 

I don’t really care about Valentine’s Day or Valentine’s presents really, but I thought of this and it’s a good opportunity to get it.  Plus out of the 28 years of my life I’ve only been in a relationship / spent Valentine’s Day with somebody 2 (this is the third one) so I better take advantage of it while it lasts, because who knows when it’s gonna end and I’m gonna be alone again and then we’ll see whether I care about Valentine’s Day or not. 

Anyway, on Friday at lunchtime I go to Tesco because I have forgotten to take my microwaveable pack of rice with me from home (as we all know I carb-load at 1600 every day now – one and a half hours before the gym to get some energy), so I have to buy some. 

And I go there and start comparing the nutritional values of different flavours (there are many) and I’m also on the phone to Scott and I read out the percentage of fat per hundred grams of each flavour to him. 

And I would usually get plain Long Grain which has 1.3g of fat per 100, but I’m really very tempted by Savoury Chicken which has 2.3g of fat per 100.  And Scott tells me, fine go for that, let your hair down for once, so I let my hair down for once and buy Savoury Chicken (contains no chicken). 

Also on Friday I’m wearing Ralph Lauren chinos and Timberland deck shoes and a green Ralph Lauren polo shirt with the collar up and a pink Lyle & Scott jumper and I’m carrying a big navy Ralph Lauren hold-all.  And according to A Girl I look like I belong in 1957 sipping a Martini with a blonde on my arm and according to two other people in the office who I don’t really talk to but this Friday they feel inclined to come up to me and comment on my outfit, I look “very preppy” and “is this the look I was going for” and “where is my boat” and my responses are “I know”, “yes” and “it’s parked outside” in that order. 

PS. When I move to Sydney can I still wear ridiculously preppy clothes like that there, or will it be completely unacceptable?  I mean in London it’s not something you see everywhere, but there are certain areas (e.g. Chelsea, Pimlico, Bayswater, Belgravia) where this is a very common look and not ironically either.  If you know please comment.

14 comments:

hoxton_boy said...

My god are you proposing ??? you old romantic

hoxton_boy said...

of course bulgari only do cock rings online !!

Gabriel said...

that preppy look may not work in sydney. especially if you want to date or get laid. i mean, boys living in gay suburbs want to see some flesh. actually all of it if you are good. this look might fit in woollahra. but you'd probably attract matrons, desperate housewives and closeted old men there!

London Preppy said...

hoxton: You have the right idea about the present (well done) but I'm not proposing of course. Just thought he'd like it

gabriel: Is it all about the flesh there then? Well I could still go to work wearing this I guess?

Foxx said...

LP - we need a picture of your outfit! I have constructed it in my mind (with your help of course) and I like it.....

London Preppy said...

foxx: I'll take one when I next wear it. That might be tomorrow, I just washed it cause I liked it so much

DJ said...

Sydney siders love labels so the Ralph Lauren polo shirts will work! I'm back there in March for 3 weeks so will do some research on what the trendy gays are wearing and report back. I'm thinking a few photos would be cool.

D

Greg Turner said...

As long as you rock the look, you can wear it anywhere. Preppy is forever.

Of course, as a prep schooler, I'm obligated to say that.

DAVID said...

It's kinda off the subject, but since you do use the tube, have you seen this video yet? My English cousin sent it to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgwoPG63B3Y

george said...

sydney is more button popping. like the shirt you wore to work but undo a button or two. just breathe to pop your buttons off........george

London Preppy said...

george: I see. Well I have two types of oufits: pretend rich and muscly. I will prioritise the latter

david: Brilliant! I love the fact none of the verses are repeated as well

Tom Cat from Bondi Beach said...

mmm the preppy look will work in Sydney for after work on week days but not on weekends.

Whne are you planning to move here ?? Tom

London Preppy said...

tom: Probably October. I will make the final decision in a month's time

Woodsman said...

Yeah you might scrap that look in on a "casual friday" if you work at say Macquarie Bank or Goldman Sachs but everywhere else will wonder where your obscenely tight bonds tshirt and arse hugging jeans are.

I'd also say the preppy look in Sydney is reserved for the asian members of our community who are being sponsored by a 60+ daddy who actually owns said yacht and wants some ping pong on the harbour.

Though I would keep those speedos as you will grow quite desensitised to flesh out here when you find see-through aussiebums all over North Bondi beach.