Thursday, 22 November 2007

Thursday 22/11/07

First here’s a reminder that you can keep voting for the BLR 07 competition until Sunday evening. So far the results are as follows:

One contestant has 64% of the vote
One contestant has 20% of the vote
One contestant has 12% of the vote
One contestant has 4% of the vote
One contestant has 1% of the vote

So one contestant is clearly winning then, which I guess is a good sign and means that the Best Looking Reader will be a popular choice. You can still vote here.

Anyway, on Wednesday night I go to bed and I’m reading the final pages of the Reader’s Guide to American Psycho by Julian Murphet. And I as I get to the end there are some suggestions for further reading, which include Tom Wolfe and Ernest Hemmingway and F Scott Fitzgerald, many more books that I want to read and many more things that I want to know but there just isn’t enough time in my life, which I’m quickly running out of.

And this book also depresses me (even though I enjoy reading it a lot) because the writer manages to provide an analysis of American Psycho in a highly sophisticated but still accessible manner, in a way that I could never do even though Bret Easton Ellis’ writing means so much to me. It makes me feel inadequate and not so smart. And this is one of few times I can remember that I wish I were smarter (I usually wish I were better looking) and I find this hard to deal with lying in my bed on that Wednesday night, so I take a Valium followed by a Zimovane and then I fall asleep.

Right, I have now transferred all my music to my Mac and will be getting online on it as well within the next couple of days. Which reminds me, I hope this happens seamlessly and I don’t have any interruptions (I’m also changing providers this weekend), but if I disappear for a couple of days you’ll know why.

However, having transferred my music means that I’ve lost all my play counts and I’m starting from scratch. So no more 95 plays for Samantha Fox I’m afraid.

This also means that I will now stop including play count information for 3 songs at the end of each post, but before I stop I thought I’d show you a list of the top 15 most played new songs that came out in 2007, plus (being the end of the year) my top 5 albums released in 2007.
My most played songs released in 2007 are:

1. With Every Heartbeat – Kleerup ft Robyn (100 plays)
2. Love Is Gone – David Guetta (71 plays)
3. It’s All True – Tracey Thorn (68 plays)
4. Let Me Know – Roisin Murphy (57 plays)
5. Love Is Dead – Brett Anderson (55 plays)
6. Overpowered – Roisin Murphy (44 plays)
7. Earth Intruders – Bjork (42 plays)
8. Future Calls The Dawn – Felix Da Housecat (42 plays)
9. The Prayer – Bloc Party (37 plays)
10. Innocence – Bjork (29 plays)
11. Back To You – Brett Anderson (29 plays)
12. Heart Shaped Glasses – Marilyn Manson (27 plays)
13. An End Has A Start – Editors (25 plays)
14. Brianstorm – Arctic Monkeys (23 plays)
15. Radio Nowhere – Bruce Springsteen (22 plays)

My top 5 albums that came out in 2007 are:

1. Overpowered – Roisin Murphy
2. Volta – Bjork
3. Chase This Light – Jimmy Eat World
4. Brett Anderson – Brett Anderson
5. A Weekend In The City – Bloc Party

If you can be bothered, show me yours.

17 comments:

NGM said...

Mate, i have only read 'american psycho'and 'less than zero' by Bret E Ellis, but have read loads, almost all Hemminways stuff. Do yourself a favour, it great stuff, maybe start with 'old man of the sea' it won th noble prize in 54 or 56 or something, great book.

Trybaby said...

I too ponder my intelligence. Wanting to be smarter. It's pretty depressing but what I think is that natural intelligence is overrated and hard work is more admirable. I think most people are capable of being "smart" they just missed out but if they work hard they can get there. That said when some people are born geniuses they are quite something. And as for how the authors writing is "better" than yours, I'm sure he's gone through and bunch of schooling just to do that.

What's with Bjork and gays liking her? I always think I just like something/someone because I do and then I find out it's a popular gay thing. Clearly it's encoded into my genes to love Bjork. It's pretty frustrating.

Dan said...

It's Ernest Hemingway, actually. One 'm' :)

Bobby Vanquish said...

Like a tramp in the night I was begging you to treat my body like you wanted to. And all of 95 times too!

As you know this is one of my favourite parts of your blog. I'm going to miss it.

My iTunes is screwed because I recently transferred mine to a new laptop too but on my old laptop I still have my Gym iPod Nano stats which are a little fucked up. None of these songs (they're all house - will probably mean anything but...)

The top five are:

1. Tidal Flow - Third Member (56 plays)
2. Heather Headley - In My Mind, Freemasons Radio Mix (54 plays)
3. D Ramirez - La Discotek (54 plays)
4. Dave Guetta - The World is Mine (51 plays)
5. Kurd Maverick - Let's Work (50 plays)

Knight said...

Singles in random order:

1) Timbaland - The way I are
2) Robyn ft Kleerup - With every heartbeat
3) Nelly Furtado - All good things come to an end
4) TV Rock vs. Dukes Of Windsor - The others
5) Santana ft Chad Kroeger - Into the night
6) Delta Goodrem - In this life
7) Fergie - Glamorous
8) Fall Out Boy - The Take Over, The Breaks Over
9) Rogue Traders - In love again
10) Justin Timberlake ft Beyonce - Until the end of time
11) Sneaky sound system - UFO
12) Maroon 5 - Makes me wonder
13) Calvin Harris - The girls
14) Hinder - Lips of an angel
15) Timbaland ft One Republic - Apologize

We share pretty different taste in music don't we? I blame it on the Oz radio stations ;-)

Good luck with the switchover! I will be going away on a long break soon, will be back to read more of LP next year!

Stephen said...

What are your top all-time plays?

I'm sure when I changed PCs, I didn't lose my play count...

Aaron said...

I'd show you mine, but it wouldn't fit on this screen. HA!

Sorry for that, but where is the play count information from, please? Just in time for you to explain it and then do away with it.

kimw said...

Brains, beauty AND a decent taste in music ... you continue to impress.
Roisin Murphy is fantastic and needs more airplay than she's given. I get to see Bjork in February (finally) and can't wait!

Tim in Italy said...

I'm back I'm Italy so now, I'm only 1 hour ahead of you instead of 8. Now I know I won't miss anything.

You wish you were better looking. Uh-huh.

One of the worst things you can do is start comparing yourself to other writers. This is like Lilian Helman getting depressed because she doesn't write like Raymond Chandler. Yours is an emerging voice. It will be unique, as you are unique and it will grow along with you. And in time you will be surprised when other writers tell you that they envy you that voice.

I use to try and write like John Irving, then it was Garrison Kellior. Now I write like me. It's the best any of us can do.

Stephen said...

Top 5 Albums (in no particular order)

The National - The Boxer http://youtube.com/watch?v=cgRsYkKb1eI

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible http://youtube.com/watch?v=MVcy9dVZif8

Radiohead - In Rainbows http://youtube.com/watch?v=UKrsBVFsfIQ

Justice - † http://youtube.com/watch?v=lfHc7JO2fKc

Sigur Ros - Hvarf/Heim
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tqc2w7q4SZQ

Russell said...

You don't need to be any better looking, but about the reading and being smarter (let's pass over the correlation between 'smarter' and watchers of big screen TVs) ....

Maybe you will read A Confederacy of Dunces, now that one of your BLRs mentioned it as a favourite, but if laughing isn't cool howabout Jean Rhys? get a novel by Jean Rhys. You might end up with Jean Rhys tatooed on your other arm.

Fitzgerald by all means - you can watch gorgeous Robert Redford in The Great Gatsby movie AFTER you've read the novel.

Maybe you would like Christopher Isherwood (you can watch Cabaret after you read the stories) - doesn't this line interest you? "I am a camera with its shutter open, quite passive, recording, not thinking."

Of course you're smart enough to write about books - start practicing now by reading A Confederacy of Dunces and blogging us a review.

("I am a camera with its shutter open, quite passive, recording, not thinking.").

Andre said...

MMM they are ten entries and in no particular order.. such a hard decision!

- Architecture in Helsinki "Places Like This"
- Chemical Brothers "We Are The Night"
- Roisin Murphy "Overpowered"
- Lo-Fi-Fnk "Boylife" (came out end of 06)
- Menomena "Friend And Foe"
- The Bees "Octopus"
- Feist " The Reminder"
- Justice "+"
- M.I.A. "Kala"
- Mark Ronson "Version"

London Preppy said...

ngm: Call me shallow but I'm definitely reading Hemingway now that I was informed of the BEE connection

trybaby: I can relate to the "liking something before knowing it's a gay thing" and then realising. A lot of the cliches are true sadly

dan: Damn, you would have thoought Word would have picked up on that

bobby: The world is mine is in my top 15 mos played songs evah - unfortunately

knight: Aah, that's a bit sad. Will miss your comments - you better be back next year!

stephen: I'll post these in the next post then

aaron: In your iTunes, right click on the bar at the top (where it shows song name, artist, etc) and Play Count is one of the categories. Select it and it will show

kimw: I just bought my ticket too

tim: I take your point. But at the same time I think what's the point of even attempting to write. Maybe because I'm hugely intimidated by authors and literature is my most esteemed art form, so...

stephen: Good call on Sigur Ros, I should get myself that

russell: Im going to a bookshop later today. Maybe I will finally pick ACoD up! Also, admiittedly I like that line a lot

andre: The thing about Mark Ronson is that the cover of Stop Me unsettles me. Because I like it a lot, but I can't accept that somebody covered the Smiths successfully. It just bugs me

Al said...

If you like Its All True then you should definitely check out the Kris Menace full vocal version. It is top.

Al said...

If you like Its All True then you should definitely check out the Kris Menace full vocal version. It is top.

Christopher said...

Intelligence is perhaps something I have considered rather too much. Going to an enormous comprehensive, my year group of 400 when we started aaged 11 ended up at around 35 by the time we left aged 17 or 18. Among those, my results were good, but not excellent. I got into an argument with the Oxford entrance tutor so that was never to be (probably for the best). In spite of their background, my friends have succeeded and include Vets, doctors and barristers etc. At the red-brick university I attended I found my self feeling rather clever, (which made me rather complacent).

From my experience, the biggest difference between people is not IQ points or degrees of intelligence but the ‘character’ of their intelligence. Initially it is clear to see the difference between an artistic and logical temperament. Beyond that, one can see agility, clarity of thought, differing degrees of logic, the ability to think laterally, hypothetically, cross-referencing with previous gained knowledge or theories. Some are verbose, others not.

It’s this personality that makes the real difference. A sharper mind would be nice, but for me, my lack of artistic ability is something I lament far more.

Jon C said...

Good News, Good News and Bad News.

Good News: You are extremely good looking and should not worry about that. Leave that to us ugly people.

Good News: You are more than smart enough and your writing is good enough to make 1,000's of guys read your blog every day (sure there's the hope of seeing you naked, but that also proves Good News #1).

Bad News: I'm guessing it's due to rounding, but your results add up to 101%.