Tuesday, 28 August 2007

Tuesday 28/08/07

On Sunday at 2300 Andrews and Scott and Donnell and I meet up to go to the club. And the club is very busy because Monday is a Bank Holiday in the UK and lots of our friends are there. And some of the things that happen are:

- Most of the people I know and I don’t venture to the dancefloor even once, because it’s so busy, instead we hang out and chat

- A few people mention the AXM cover to me. One proceeds to congratulate me by groping my crotch (until I push his hand away) and at that point I wonder how polite or civil you can be with people like that. Fair enough, you want to say thank you when they tell you that you look great etc, but then how are you supposed to react when they become really lecherous like that? And if you tell them off and be rude their reaction will be to go around to everyone they know and say: you know that guy from the AXM cover, he’s a really arrogant twat, he was really rude to me, etc

- Somebody I know gets caught twice by security doing something he shouldn’t be doing (because he’s stupid and is doing it in public) but he doesn’t get thrown out, instead he has that something confiscated

- Frederik tells me of the time when he overdosed on Xenical (a prescription weight loss drug which decreases fat absorption by the body) and he…err…lost bowel control so he had to run in a pub toilet and in the end flushed his underwear down the toilet because they were so dirty

- I decide to run an abs competition amongst my friends to see who has the best six-pack and we takes pictures on my phone to determine that. And the pictures only focus on the abdominal area of the contestants, and we have: me versus Donnell, me versus Frederik, me versus Scott, me versus some guy Donnell is getting off with. And sadly in most of those cases I lose, and I mean I’m not too bad to start with – looks at my abs at the top of this page. Sadly these pictures (which I was planning to post on here) are forever lost, because…

- …I broke my phone a bit later on when I was in the club. For one reason or another I dropped it 3 times and in the end it went off and it refuses to switch back on. My biggest problem with this is the loss of all the pictures I have one there (including the abs ones). Wait – I just had a thought, maybe they’re saved on the memory card, instead of the actual phone. I’m sure the memory card should still be fine. I will have to check this and get back to you

EDIT: I had this checked and I actually still have the pictures. I will post them in the next blog because Scott has my memory card right now.

Anyway, around 0530 I get really bored of all this and I’m quite annoyed about breaking my phone and I decide to go home, even though the club stays open until 0700 and everybody else is staying. I take a taxi and get home and after a quick shower and a Valium I’m in bed by 0620.

Andrews and Scott and a few others stay until closing time and then go to Donnell’s house for a post-clubbing chill out party and then Andrews and Scott roll in at my flat around 1500.

And this brings me to the point of writing all this in the first place. I don’t like doing this anymore. I don’t like going clubbing. It’s too tiring and it takes too much out of me and I actually don’t even enjoy it that much when I’m there. Everyone else out of my friends seems to be more into it (they always stay later than I do, I just want to go home and sleep and then get up and have a normal day). And of course I’m not single and I’m not there to meet some guy, so that element of going out isn’t there for me either.

And there are lots of other things that happen when you go clubbing (things that people say, things that people do) that I can’t write on here because they are too extreme, and I actually don’t feel very comfortable with all this, possibly because I’m a bit of a moralist and definitely because I’m a bit over-sensitive.

I have felt like this for the last few months, but I was still going out because Scott and Donnell and others like it, but now I think I’ve reached a stage where I’m feeling OK about them going out and me staying in and I won’t feel like I’m missing out on anything. So I think that unless there is a very good reason, or I have a very sudden change of heart, I won’t go clubbing for a few months.

Anyway, come back soon for the abs pictures, because fair enough I may have all these issues and aspire to a dull, prosaic lifestyle, but it doesn’t mean that I’ll make this blog boring too.

I have 1 song by Boyzone and I've played it 7 times
I have 1 song by Brainbug and I've played it 3 times
I have 2 songs by Bran Van 3000 and I've played them 44 times

16 comments:

Alistair_London said...

Your night sounds a bit like my Sunday clubbing experience. I don’t know which club you went to but we started the night off at Salvation, I’m pretty sure I saw Donnell but not you. I felt a crappy before we even got there so I knew the evening was not going to go with a bang. I spent most of the night hanging about, chatting to my mates, as the music wasn’t doing anything for me. The highlight was seeing my mate doing his dragged up dance routine with the PA which was hilarious but from there my night was over. We all went back to a friend’s house in Vauxhall before heading off to Orange, at least that was the plan. We chilled out and spruced up but by the time everybody was ready to head off I was ready for bed. The next day I called my friends and apparently Orange was rubbish, and everyone spent the night wandering from room to room or outside chain smoking. I’m so over clubbing its not funny, I would much rather be at home with good company, good wine and good food. Basically I’m turning into and old fart.

Alistair_London said...

Your night sounds a bit like my Sunday clubbing experience. I don’t know which club you went to but we started the night off at Salvation, I’m pretty sure I saw Donnell but not you. I felt a crappy before we even got there so I knew the evening was not going to go with a bang. I spent most of the night hanging about, chatting to my mates, as the music wasn’t doing anything for me. The highlight was seeing my mate doing his dragged up dance routine with the PA which was hilarious but from there my night was over. We all went back to a friend’s house in Vauxhall before heading off to Orange, at least that was the plan. We chilled out and spruced up but by the time everybody was ready to head off I was ready for bed. The next day I called my friends and apparently Orange was rubbish, and everyone spent the night wandering from room to room or outside chain smoking. I’m so over clubbing its not funny, I would much rather be at home with good company, good wine and good food. Basically I’m turning into and old fart.

London Preppy said...

alistair: You're right Donnell was also at Salvation (I didn't go there). We all went to DT together. I guess I'm turning into an old fart too!

Knight said...

Hey..I guess there comes a point in life where everyone matures..sort of wanna move on with life.Like the current one is not good enough or when we become tired of the things that we do! And like AL, I find meaning in cozying up at home with good company and food and maybe even good music! Say you suddenly wanna listen to Bjork..they're not gonna play that in a club!

London Preppy said...

knight: That's true. Before I went clubbing I never listened to house music (the type they play in clubs). It's just not what I wouls choose to listen to. I like other dance music a lot, but nothing they're gonna play in a gay club for lots of people to enjoy

Joe said...

I just saw the news about the fires in Greece. I hope your family is untouched.
On a less serious note - I was disturbed when I read that you were tired of doing "this"- I thought you meant blogging when all you simply meant was clubbing. Since I love your blog, I would be quite sad if you decided to quit this. But if you want to quit clubbing, go right ahead... staying home with a good bottle of wine can be just as satisfying.

London Preppy said...

joe: Thanks for this. The fires are in suburban and rural areas, but my family lives in Athens - so not directly threatened by them

fuzzy logic said...

If you quit clubbing, how are you ever going to get to eat pizza again? Suck it in Spanky.

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

People need to learn control of their hands.

Personally I think you were much more polite about it than I'd or an average person would have been.

Great blog and nice cover shot

Andre said...

I understand and agree with what you are saying, but have you considered going to other clubs besides the usual circuit ones like Fire, Area and DTPM? But maybe even places like The Ghetto are not your cup of tea..

On a different note, I've been working on your Hefty Smurf t-shirt and the design is almost over. Check out my blog because I posted a video of myself speaking in English. Let's see if my accent sounds Italian or not..

London Preppy said...

soul seared dreamer: People do, don't they? I just would never grab somebody like that unless they were really making it obvious that it's ok

andre: Thanks for the t-shirt, can't wait ot see it. I've left a comment on the video as you'll see

TheDreamer said...

Welcome to early middle age. You'll be drinking cocoa next.

PS: Thought the AXM cover looked great. Gay teenage boys across the UK are going to have crushes on you now...

London Preppy said...

dreamer: Well, drinking hot chocolate is one of my favourite activities!

Trybaby said...

You already have a boyfriend so clubbing is kinda pointless. Your not an old fart, you are just becoming classy.

Matt said...

Not to be rude, but... (don't you hate it when people say this because you know they are going to be in their next breath, aka "No offence, but...") you say this every Monday (Tuesday in the case of Bank Holidays) after clubbing! Do you think it might be post clubbing depression, sort of like a hangover, when people vow they will never drink again!!!

I'll take a bet that you might stick to it this time. Besides, summer is coming to a close and it is much better to stay in during the winter months.

Simon said...

I think it's natural that you're getting a bit bored of the whole clubbing scene. As you say, you're not single anymore so the meat markets hold little interest, and staying out until half five in the morning isn't as easy as it once was. I know that and I'm only 25! Holding down a day job gets in the way of having fun, but how fun is it really being crammed into some sweaty club ('cos the smell of smoke no longer covers up the stench of B.O.) shouting to your friends because they can't hear you when you talk normally? Not much.

Loving the blog - your writing style does remind me of your hero: Bret Easton Ellis.